Steakhouse

SmittyCo

So DH and I always make fun of the people who eat in the steakhouse ... why pay the extra money when there is free food everywhere?

Well.... I booked us dinner in the steakhouse on New Year's eve .... it's a celebration cruise for my graduation from Grad school ... and of course NYE. He said we should cancel it ....

Opinions? Is the money worth it? The quality of the food ... better than the MDR?

We just tried it for the first time this year, and we LOVED it.

Will we do it again? Probably.

DEFINITELY better than the MDR.

Expect a two hour meal experience, and wear "stretch" pants:o:D

I would say try it at least once.

Congrats on your graduation!:D

The Steakhouse isn't something that I would try on multiple nights of a cruise but yes you need to go and experience it. The food is AMAZING.

The dining experience takes about 2 hours. I highly recommend the Cowboy Ribeye. We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in 2 weeks and our group is going to the Steakhouse one night.

It is definitely worth it and especially since you have something to celebrate. Congrats on your graduation

We have been to the Steakhouse on every ship we have sailed that had one (well over 20 visits). We think the experience, the evening and especially the food make it a wonderful evening. Let us know your thoughts when you return.

So DH and I always make fun of the people who eat in the steakhouse ... why pay the extra money when there is free food everywhere?

Well.... I booked us dinner in the steakhouse on New Year's eve .... it's a celebration cruise for my graduation from Grad school ... and of course NYE. He said we should cancel it ....

Opinions? Is the money worth it? The quality of the food ... better than the MDR?

The quality is better than the MDR and the service is excellent. Have your checked out the menu to see the choices available? We've eaten in the steakhouse several times over the years. I mainly went because my husband wanted to go and that was back when they had the porterhouse steak which has been replaced.

There are many things that factor into the steakhouse for us.....the first is the value.......is it really worth the amount you pay? For us the answer is no but for many they swear by it. I hate feeling stuffed and that's the way we both felt after our last experience there. Paying extra meant eating more and having dessert was not the smartest idea that night. Of course we could eat less but then it becomes a why did we bother question. If I ever did it again I would definetly ask for my dessert to go.

For us spending a long drawn out amount of time to eat interferes with other things going on around the ship that we miss. Add that do the eating too much and it was a recipe for calling it a night after we left the steakhouse.

So for us given the cost, the overall length of time and missing other activities it's not an experience we typically enjoy these days. It's different for everyone though so I'd explore why your dh doesn't want to eat there. Is is strictly the cost? Is there something on the menu that you really want and does a long leisurely meal appeal to you?

I generally eat at the steakhouse on the last night of the cruise. I used to overeat there and feel stuffed for the next day or even two. But lately I've changed my selections, so the "stuffed" feeling goes away much sooner.

An 8 oz filet mignon with creamed spinach or asparagus, preceded by a tuna tartare and followed by the fresh fruit dessert is a typical sane choice. And yes, for me it is worth it.

Carnival is now offering some of the steakhouse entrees for purchase in the MDR. Those cost $20 vs. $35 per person for the full experience. This may or may not be of interest to you.

I dined in the Valor's steakhouse in June, before they offered the entrees in the MDR. I thought my steak was great, the fruit cup very good, the ambience nice, and the rest... the less said the better. I don't plan to hurry to the steakhouse on any of my future cruises. There's a better chance that I'll pay for a steakhouse steak in the MDR sometime.

Yes, it is worth it...for both the food and the experience. I have done it on every cruise I've been on. We go when it won't conflict with other must do activities. I don't over eat and bring dessert back to the cabin for later. Once my husband became seasick and couldn't make it through the meal. They offered a refund or delivery of the entire meal to our cabin. I was with my son and his wife so we stayed and ate while my husband returned to our cabin. It has always been a cant miss experience for me. We will be on the Glory on Dec. 6th and have the Emerald Steakhouse booked for the first night so we get the free bottle of wine!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

We like to do the steakhouse on the first night of the cruise, for 3 reasons.

First, you get a free bottle of wine

Second, because everyone else hasn't thought about going to the steakhouse yet and its quiet in there instead of crowded

Third, the first night most people are just figuring things out a bit, so the MDR and buffet are crazy busy.

Second, because everyone else hasn't thought about going to the steakhouse yet and its quiet in there instead of crowded

Third, the first night most people are just figuring things out a bit, so the MDR and buffet are crazy busy.

Unless something's changed, free wine is for second night as well.

We like to meet out MDR tablemates the first night.

Personally I think it's silly to spend more money when you have plenty of choices that are already paid for and you do get good attention in the MDR

That being said every Dec we eat at the steakhouse the first night of the cruise. This is because my son and his wife love it. So it is nice for a special long quiet time to catch up. The atmosphere is nice and attention to detail excellent.

But again it's not our norm the dining rooms are great as well as various other options.

We have been to the Steakhouse on every ship we have sailed that had one (well over 20 visits). We think the experience, the evening and especially the food make it a wonderful evening. Let us know your thoughts when you return.

No need to worry, Jimbo. You can now take advantage of Steakhouse Selections on those other ships.

Edited by Baymax

Just returned on Sunday and had planned to dine at the steakhouse once, Italian once and the Chef's Table. We endec up at the steakhouse a second time, for our last dinner as well. We had made new friends and decided it was a great way to end the cruise.

What might be silly for some folks or fodder for jokes for another is simethng another places value on. Although I am a foodie with a culinary education I can be happy as long as I am enjoying good friendship and conversation.

Just because I paid more does not mean I have to stuff myself to feel value. I was content with soup, entree, 1 side and splitting a dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I used to feel the same way but went this last time thanks to a friend who purchased it and told us we had to try it... We loved it the food was worth the upgrade and we will do it again. Maybe not every cruise but we will again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we do decide to spend the money, we also go on the first night for the same reasons. I myself would never go on any other night.

Today, so many people simply "eat"

Others choose to "Dine"

The Steakhouse is a dining experience. High quality food, multiple courses, superior service, great atmosphere.

If the goal is to eat, avoid the Steakhouse. If you are looking for a truly enjoyable experience at sea, then, by all means, book it!

Personal note: I so often see folks post "We in in the cafeteria (no matter the fancy name a cruiseline gives it, it is a cafeteria) and the food is exactly the same as they serve in the MDR. Guess what, it is not!

The steakhouse is dramatically superior to the MDR, just as the MDR is superior to the cafeteria.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

Today, so many people simply "eat"

Others choose to "Dine"

The Steakhouse is a dining experience. High quality food, multiple courses, superior service, great atmosphere.

If the goal is to eat, avoid the Steakhouse. If you are looking for a truly enjoyable experience at sea, then, by all means, book it!

Personal note: I so often see folks post "We in in the cafeteria (no matter the fancy name a cruiseline gives it, it is a cafeteria) and the food is exactly the same as they serve in the MDR. Guess what, it is not!

The steakhouse is dramatically superior to the MDR, just as the MDR is superior to the cafeteria.

I do chose to 'eat', and rarely need to 'dine'.

I enjoy the steakhouse and would not advise against eating there, however it is far from a 'truly enjoyable experience', IMHO. It is simply a restaurant at sea, where you are served your meal, just like many restaurants home.

That is what I love about cruising though, those who want to eat at the steakhouse and MDR have that option nightly. They can dress up, and enjoy their evening as they wish.

I chose to play it more relaxed and tend to opt to eat at the buffet, not cafeteria, and I enjoy my meal just the same. The food is not exactly the same, however, I do not feel it is of a inferior quality, it is just not served with the same presentation.

I had the same thought once. I thought the for fee restaurants were just recycled MDR food for additional fee. One carnival cruise I decided to experience it. I was very wrong. The food is several levels above the MDR. As for worth, that's for you to decide, but you are getting value for this meal. The same meal I would get on land would probably cost double what you would pay on Carnival which is a surprise since they mark so much other things.

That being said, I tried Chefs Table a couple years back and to me, that's another level above the steakhouse. Yes it's pricey, but I feel it's well worth it. So much so, that Chefs table will now be our normal expenditure for every cruise since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app