Host Andy - Live From Celebrity Eclipse

Andy

Glad to hear your opinion. LOL That is mine of you, too. LOL

I agree that on some cruises when there are a large number of Elite. However, if they continue on all cruises with the 3 coupons per night: Why not allow them to be used

1. after 7PM?

2. on Sr. Officer Cocktail Party night?

3. on any night if you have the coupon, regardless of the date?

There were some people who could use their coupons in the MDR. Their Wine Steward would allow them to use a coupon for a glass of wine while other Wine Stewards would not? I know you don't know the answer to this one, however, that just show the nonresistances. What difference does it make if I use a coupon anywhere on the ship?

JMHO!

On most evenings, I will only have one drink prior to dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, and a drink somewhere around the ship after dinner.

If the coupons are limited to the 5-7 pm period, it will cost Celebrity the value of one coupon per night to provide me with the free drinks perk. If the coupons can be used any time, any where, it will triple their cost to provide me with the free drinks perk, without any change in my drinking behaviour.

For people who tend to drink more than I do, I still think that 3 drinks in a 2 hour period is sufficiently generous. On non-coupon Elite Lounge evenings, I have rarely seen people abusing the perk, even when there is no limitation on the number of drinks you can have.

I think the purpose of the Elite Lounge or the 3 vouchers from 5-7 pm is to provide a nice before-dinner perk. I don't think it is intended to subsidize most of your bar bill.

I am okay with the restrictions that currently exist. I think Celebrity provides great Elite Plus perks, but I don't think they have to go broke doing so.

We also just got off the Eclipse on Sunday. I posted on this thread earlier from the ship or port when I was able; I will now share a few more observations and experiences.

Yes, the iLounge is on deck 6 mid-ship.

Like Andy posted yesterday and as I posted on this thread earlier, dh and I experienced constant onboard Internet-access problems. Dh and I both used our iPad minis, most of the time at the same time but sometimes at different times. Generally we had the best access in our aft cabin before 7:30am and service deteriorated during the day, many times to non-existence. We did not try late at night, but only in the morning through afternoon and usually in the cabin or Cafe al Bacio (+ couple attempts in iLounge). I will post more on this later wherever and whenever Andy posts his experiences.

Other than the Internet problems, one of our main disappointments was Cafe al Bacio. Cafe al Bacio was often overrun possibly because of drink packages and the number of Elite Plus members who get specialty teas and coffee. On the second last sea day, people were in there sleeping, playing cards, reading, doing Internet (or attempting Internet access), taking up a table for four with one person seated, and general lounging and chatting -- many without having anything to eat or drink or well past the time they finished their refreshments. There must have been numerous complains since, on the last sea day, the tables had card-stock notices asking people to "refrain from playing cards" in Cafe al Bacio and "kindly to vacate" the area when through with refreshment. Tables were often dirty and not cleared and it was sometimes difficult to get service without getting the attention of a server. I am not faulting the bar servers. They were gracious and hard working; it was just that they were overworked and the lounge was understaffed. I'm not sure why they did not extend to the nearby and under-utilized Bistro on Five and have more servers to help in there (probably a shortage of servers).

We received 3 paper vouchers each per day (delivered to cabin 1st night), which were coded by date and with our names & cabin #; exclusions were first night (embarkation) and the night of the Senior Officer's Party; however, the Senior Officer's Party was just like another Elite happy hour with more officers present and without the need to use vouchers. Unlike other ships we were on, the three Elite drink vouchers per night were not to be used in Cafe al Bacio, per a decision by the Captain's Club hostess and possibly in agreement with the Bar Manager. We did not receive a voucher letter (supposedly there was one, but we didn't receive it) stating in which lounges the vouchers could or could not be used; however, the acceptable lounges were listed on the back of the vouchers; Cafe al Bacio was not listed and the hostess verbally clarified to us they could not be used there when we asked. The Cafe al Bacio bar servers were not all aware of that though, and some Elite/Elite+ members successfully used their vouchers there. We were quite content with the Elite Sky lounge, which was one of the highlights of our onboard cruise experience. The drinks were the typical ones under a certain $ amount, and the appetizers were very good including calamari on a couple evenings. The servers were outstanding, efficient, gracious, and a real delight.

We thoroughly enjoyed Shane Dallas' talks on Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. At first, I was hesitant to go since we will never visit those countries. When we went to his talks, I realized more and more that it was precisely the reason I should be going to his fascinating talks to understand more fully the people and the cultures and to see wonderful pictures of places I will never visit.

Overall another excellent cruise.

Kathy, thanks so much for posting your impressions.

We had much the same issues in Café al Bacio on our May cruise on the Solstice, and yet none of those issues on the Silhouette in October. There was a particular large group on the Solstice that just didn't seem to understand that they should have their beverage then move on (even though there were tent cards posted on each table to that effect). They slept in the CAB seating, played cards, or just generally parked themselves there, chatting for hours. This particular group had very loud voices and you couldn't even read a book while drinking your coffee. (This was a national group, not necessarily a large group of people who were affiliated with one another).

One of my favourite things on Celebrity ships are the speakers. I would have loved to hear presentations on those topics.

I'm so glad that you two had a another great cruise!

On most evenings, I will only have one drink prior to dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, and a drink somewhere around the ship after dinner.

If the coupons are limited to the 5-7 pm period, it will cost Celebrity the value of one coupon per night to provide me with the free drinks perk. If the coupons can be used any time, any where, it will triple their cost to provide me with the free drinks perk, without any change in my drinking behaviour.

For people who tend to drink more than I do, I still think that 3 drinks in a 2 hour period is sufficiently generous. On non-coupon Elite Lounge evenings, I have rarely seen people abusing the perk, even when there is no limitation on the number of drinks you can have.

I think the purpose of the Elite Lounge or the 3 vouchers from 5-7 pm is to provide a nice before-dinner perk. I don't think it is intended to subsidize most of your bar bill.

I am okay with the restrictions that currently exist. I think Celebrity provides great Elite Plus perks, but I don't think they have to go broke doing so.

Thanks for your opinion.

Why do you worry about what it will cost Celebrity for your extra 2 drinks if they extend the time you can use the coupons?

My point is why limit anyones 3 drinks to 2 hours per evening?

So you think that if I use my 3 coupons anytime that evening, you are subsidizing my bar bill?

You maybe forgot that you may be paying for your cruise and I am paying for mine. That is like saying that those people who eat more than you are being subsidized by you for consuming more food than you. LOL

Yes, it is a nice before-dinner drink perk. I don't think Celebrity will go broke giving out the 3 drinks per evening, regardless of if it is in 2 hours or 5 hours per evening.

Nothing is free. You and I have paid for everything we get that is classified as free. LOL

Thanks for your opinion.

Why do you worry about what it will cost Celebrity for your extra 2 drinks if they extend the time you can use the coupons?

My point is why limit anyones 3 drinks to 2 hours per evening? Because it will increase Celebrity's cost to provide what I see as an already generous perk.

So you think that if I use my 3 coupons anytime that evening, you are subsidizing my bar bill? I never said anything like that. That kind of thinking never even entered my head.

You maybe forgot that you may be paying for your cruise and I am paying for mine. That is like saying that those people who eat more than you are being subsidized by you for consuming more food than you. LOL Nonsense. See my point above.

Yes, it is a nice before-dinner drink perk. I don't think Celebrity will go broke giving out the 3 drinks per evening, regardless of if it is in 2 hours or 5 hours per evening.

Nothing is free. You and I have paid for everything we get that is classified as free. LOL

I was not talking about you and your bar bill at all. I am talking about what it is costing Celebrity to provide the perk to ME.

I am saying that with a current limitation of time from 5-7 pm, it is costing Celebrity one drink to provide me with the perk. If they go to an "anywhere, any time" mode, it would cost them 3 drinks. They won't be getting the revenue that they would get for the two drinks I pay for every evening.

To the extent that complimentary drinks don't show up on my onboard account, they are free to me on that specific cruise. To the extent that an increase in costs will drive up the expense side of the ledger and will ultimately require an offsetting reduction in expenses or a price increase, in order to maintain the desired profit margins, then yes, it will likely cost me in the future.

Has Host Andy said if he found out where Perry Grant will be playing on Eclipse once Cellar Masters is converted to the Gastro Bar this coming April?

In answer to your question Grace no there is still no news on where Perry will go. My husband and I have also just got off on sunday, we meet Perry the other day and we asked him the same question..which he answered he still had no idea of where he was going..

Talking about Perry I would like to say we didnt like the Cellars for his show. Unless you got in there very early all his usual fans had already taken the front of the room. And also seats where hard to find where you could actualy see him on the piano. A couple of times we went in and had to sit on a sofa in an alcove facing the wrong way, althought it was good to hear him but without seeing him it took the fun away.

Hope this has helped you.

Brenda

Hi again Andy,

Great to see you and your mom again..so sorry you have both been poorly. You are right there was a lot of coughs and colds on board. Hope you are both better now.

Well as I said to you the other day we are now going to jump ship and go back to Royal Caribbean. A great shame we will not see you again at the Connections meeting and Gift Exchange...We have had fun with you for the past two years.

We was dissapointed with the ship this year. Things seemed to have slipped and feel we didnt want to try it again.

Some of the staff we found this time where very rude and if they could they would avoid contact with you so as to not serve you. Cafe El Bacio being the worse for that. One day my husband stood for ages when there was six people behind the counter chatting and fiddling with things. When the lady did go up to him she said "Do you want something then" well of course he wanted something.! that wasnt the only time either.

The MDR seemed to have cut there staff by half and they was rushed more than ever. On the first leg of our B2B we was asked if we would like any wine...no drinks package I must add. Gave our order and that was the last we saw of the Wine Waiter or our wine.! We never did get it.

No chocolates as others have said...but no big deal it wasnt really needed. But only being a Select member we only had a chocolate covered Oreo on out pillow the first formal night. No towel animals in all the 28 nights.

Even the Connections Meeting (as we was told to call it and not Cruise Critics meeting) wasnt the same. There was noone at the door to welcome you in or to check you had an invite for it. If it hadnt been for you Andy the meeting would have really been quite boring.

Well as I said it was really nice to see you again. Take care.

love Brenda xxx

One note you may not be aware is that when you do not use your three coupons please leave the coupons for your waiter or bartender they get tips for each one of the coupons. So give them the unused ones. I know they appreciate them.

No, did not know this. However, when we did order a drink (paid for this one) we did notice that the 15% tip was not automatically added to the bill. You had to write in the tip.

I was not talking about you and your bar bill at all. I am talking about what it is costing Celebrity to provide the perk to ME.

I am saying that with a current limitation of time from 5-7 pm, it is costing Celebrity one drink to provide me with the perk. If they go to an "anywhere, any time" mode, it would cost them 3 drinks. They won't be getting the revenue that they would get for the two drinks I pay for every evening.

To the extent that complimentary drinks don't show up on my onboard account, they are free to me on that specific cruise. To the extent that an increase in costs will drive up the expense side of the ledger and will ultimately require an offsetting reduction in expenses or a price increase, in order to maintain the desired profit margins, then yes, it will likely cost me in the future.

Ok, I didn't read your posting that way (your responses in red.) If you are satisfied with 1 drink per evening, that is OK with me and Celebrity. However, I am sure many others would not feel the same way and be satisfied with 1 drink per evening. That would be a cutback in perks.

You must have stock in Celebrity as you seem so worried about Celebrity's profit margin. I'm sure they are making a profit regardless if a person has 1 or 3 drinks.

We have been cruising Celebrity since 1994 and seen many cutbacks. Even in the past year we have seen cutbacks.

RCI, the parent company, provides their Elite (Diamond) happy hour from 5-8:30PM and also give you 3 drinks on your Sea Pass per evening.

How many of you reading this would be satisfied with 1 drink per evening? I am sure there are some, but overall, not too many.

Ok, I didn't read your posting that way (your responses in red.) If you are satisfied with 1 drink per evening, that is OK with me and Celebrity. However, I am sure many others would not feel the same way and be satisfied with 1 drink per evening. That would be a cutback in perks.

You must have stock in Celebrity as you seem so worried about Celebrity's profit margin. I'm sure they are making a profit regardless if a person has 1 or 3 drinks.

We have been cruising Celebrity since 1994 and seen many cutbacks. Even in the past year we have seen cutbacks.

RCI, the parent company, provides their Elite (Diamond) happy hour from 5-8:30PM and also give you 3 drinks on your Sea Pass per evening.

How many of you reading this would be satisfied with 1 drink per evening? I am sure there are some, but overall, not too many.

I am not suggesting that they cut back any existing perks. I am not suggesting anyone else reduce their enjoyment of the Elite Happy Hour by reducing their current drinking habits. I am just talking about people who normally only have one or two drinks during the the 5-7 pm Elite Happy Hour. To make the changes you suggest would likely result in an increase in the uptake rate for those people, as it would for me, thereby increasing the costs for Celebrity.

Increasing the costs to provide loyalty perks in one area would surely make the accountants look at reducing the costs of providing other perks in other areas. Now, reducing my Elite Plus coffee benefit or my internet time...now there are some things I WOULD be concerned about.

Nope...no stock...but I DID tell my husband to buy when the stock was at $5.58 per share. And don't think I don't bring THAT up from time to time. :):):)

I am not suggesting that they cut back any existing perks. I am not suggesting anyone else reduce their enjoyment of the Elite Happy Hour by reducing their current drinking habits. I am just talking about people who normally only have one or two drinks during the the 5-7 pm Elite Happy Hour. To make the changes you suggest would likely result in an increase in the uptake rate for those people, as it would for me, thereby increasing the costs for Celebrity.

Increasing the costs to provide loyalty perks in one area would surely make the accountants look at reducing the costs of providing other perks in other areas. Now, reducing my Elite Plus coffee benefit or my internet time...now there are some things I WOULD be concerned about.

Nope...no stock...but I DID tell my husband to buy when the stock was at $5.58 per share. And don't think I don't bring THAT up from time to time. :):):)

How do you consider using 3 coupons in 2 hours verses 3 or more during 1 evening increasing costs? lol

Drink you 1 and lets be done.

On the Oasis TA (east) the Diamond Cocktail hour was 5 til 8 pm. 3 vouchers loaded up the SeaPass Card (or go to the designated Cocktail Lounge for even unlimited drinks). This was valid for each night (also embarkation day or C&A events). Yes, most nights we were able to have a pre dinner and a post dinner drink with main seating.

I think that the time frame 5 to 7 pm is a little odd. I do have main seating at 6 pm. So I do have one hour for my cocktail (gee, I´d be happy to finish one cocktail during that amount of time). When´s late seating, 8:30 pm? So late seating can use the whole two hours... but then has to wait for dinner 1.5 hours... Not really what I regard as a pre dinner cocktail hour...

I´m definitely not a heavy drinker. One glass of wine or one cocktail per night is usually all I have (then I switch to a diet coke or ice tea).

BTW here in Germany the Classic beverage package is included for months now (that promo has been repeated constantly). So most of the passengers might have a beverage package anyway.

Sure, that´s "complaining" on a very high level :D.

steamboats

On the Oasis TA (east) the Diamond Cocktail hour was 5 til 8 pm. 3 vouchers loaded up the SeaPass Card (or go to the designated Cocktail Lounge for even unlimited drinks). This was valid for each night (also embarkation day or C&A events). Yes, most nights we were able to have a pre dinner and a post dinner drink with main seating.

Thank you both for confirming the RCL ships policy on Cocktail hour. Their way of doing it is much fairer for the cruiser as nobody is disadvantaged and the traditional big room event with canapés/conversation etc. can still be enjoyed if that is your thing.

The way "X" has been jacking up prices as well as eroding the little "special" things, removing public spaces and/or altering perks is making me, and I'm sure others, consider other cruise lines more and more. At one time it would only be "X" cruises I had booked. Instead I'm off on NCL Jade Saturday for 3 weeks, and our next booked cruises are RCL, RCL, RCL, NCL for 2015. We have two "X" cruises booked for 2016 to use up our last remaining Open Passages, and unless itineraries become vastly different to the same old (or very similar) ones that are available now, that may well be that.

We are on the Eclipse now. The Internet seems to be working a bit better, which is to say it is very slow but functional. Cafe de Bacio does not have the crowding problem reported on the prior cruise. Vouchers are again being uses for Elites, but since we have the drink package we have no need for them this cruise. Elite breakfast is very popular and back to the old buffet. The only change is that you must now order any juice (no more pitchers).

Our big complaint was lunch at the Cafe on 5....which featured the worst service imanageable. Everything else is typical X which means pretty good.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Elite breakfast is very popular and back to the old buffet. The only change is that you must now order any juice (no more pitchers).

Hank Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are there more than 500 Elite on-board? The reason why I question this is that we were told the Elite Breakfast is back to the old buffet due to the amount of Elites on-board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Are there more than 500 Elite on-board? The reason why I question this is that we were told the Elite Breakfast is back to the old buffet due to the amount of Elites on-board.

Enjoy your cruise.

If that is true then it blows out of the water all the theories that the change was made due to health/hygiene requirements, and points firmly to a money saving exercise!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

On our recent Reflection cruise, we were disappointed to find Cafe Baccio was over run with customers at many times of the day and evening. It used to be a fairly mellow place for relaxing tea/coffee/conversation but not anymore.

Most are on the free drinks packages now, and the crowds overwhelm the servers, counters, etc....often dressed in pool attire, cranky toddlers in tow, ordering to go! Not sure why they do not order at the Cafe II location in the buffet area. Perhaps that should be advertised more as it seems more convenient to the pool area.

At the crowded times it seems much like the buffet instead of the nice cafe/ gelateria it used to be... We still managed to find some quiet times...but it was a noticeable change from when it was a pay as you go venue......oh well!

If that is true then it blows out of the water all the theories that the change was made due to health/hygiene requirements, and points firmly to a money saving exercise!! Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Fully agree with you! Anyone other X ships reverting back to the old buffet?

Fully agree with you! Anyone other X ships reverting back to the old buffet?

this past September/October '14. On day one...and every day there after we were served, had menus etc. I was told by the CC hostess that the "Health Dept." had told X that they could not have open food in the buffet style for 2 hours because it was being served on a carpeted floor and food that was dropped on the carpet could cause bacteria. We actually enjoyed it this way. The portions on some items were pretty small (think the bagels and salmon) but you could ask for 2 orders. I'm not sure how many Elites were on board...we didn't have very many people at the CC breakfast each day...but the PM Happy Hour (no vouchers) in the Crystal Room was always packed!! LuAnn

On our recent Reflection cruise, we were disappointed to find Cafe Baccio was over run with customers at many times of the day and evening. It used to be a fairly mellow place for relaxing tea/coffee/conversation but not anymore.

Most are on the free drinks packages now, and the crowds overwhelm the servers, counters, etc....often dressed in pool attire, cranky toddlers in tow, ordering to go! Not sure why they do not order at the Cafe II location in the buffet area. Perhaps that should be advertised more as it seems more convenient to the pool area.

At the crowded times it seems much like the buffet instead of the nice cafe/ gelateria it used to be... We still managed to find some quiet times...but it was a noticeable change from when it was a pay as you go venue......oh well!

They should put coffee bar service into Bistro on Five since it is always nearly empty during the afternoons and evenings.

Café al Bacio has always been my favourite location on the ship, until recently.

They should put coffee bar service into Bistro on Five since it is always nearly empty during the afternoons and evenings.

Café al Bacio has always been my favourite location on the ship, until recently.

Great Idea!

Glad I am not the only one seeing a change (not for the better) at Cafe Baccio...

Sorry to gave strayed a bit from main topic but this venue was discussed a bit earlier...

Hi again Andy,

Great to see you and your mom again..so sorry you have both been poorly. You are right there was a lot of coughs and colds on board. Hope you are both better now.

Well as I said to you the other day we are now going to jump ship and go back to Royal Caribbean. A great shame we will not see you again at the Connections meeting and Gift Exchange...We have had fun with you for the past two years.

We was dissapointed with the ship this year. Things seemed to have slipped and feel we didnt want to try it again.

Some of the staff we found this time where very rude and if they could they would avoid contact with you so as to not serve you. Cafe El Bacio being the worse for that. One day my husband stood for ages when there was six people behind the counter chatting and fiddling with things. When the lady did go up to him she said "Do you want something then" well of course he wanted something.! that wasnt the only time either.

The MDR seemed to have cut there staff by half and they was rushed more than ever. On the first leg of our B2B we was asked if we would like any wine...no drinks package I must add. Gave our order and that was the last we saw of the Wine Waiter or our wine.! We never did get it.

No chocolates as others have said...but no big deal it wasnt really needed. But only being a Select member we only had a chocolate covered Oreo on out pillow the first formal night. No towel animals in all the 28 nights.

Even the Connections Meeting (as we was told to call it and not Cruise Critics meeting) wasnt the same. There was noone at the door to welcome you in or to check you had an invite for it. If it hadnt been for you Andy the meeting would have really been quite boring.

Well as I said it was really nice to see you again. Take care.

love Brenda xxx

We were also on this cruise plus last Nov and in Mar. We feel the same. We have this cruise also booked for next Mar and during the cruise my wife said she wouldn't be disappointed if I canceled it because things have changed so much and appeared to go down hill. I said that it may be because it becoming boring for us but when the chefs recommendation for the evening in the MDR is pork and beans it goes deeper than that.

I thought that it was just us but many others that we have talked to felt the same.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🚢🌅