Policy on E-cigs

pirate52

Your not supposed to use them in your room or balcony but it does not leave a nicotine like cigarettes so nobody really knows. Oddly enough even with smoking no longer allowed on balconies I sure did smell a lot of cigar, cigarette and ganja while sitting on mine!

We had a smoker next door on our TA on Oasis Oct./14

Nothing was done by the time we got off!:rolleyes: That was another of the issues with that TA on Oasis........

Called Front Desk twice, told the Floor Supervisor, room att. called for Security to check the room, never was done the room att. told us-- as we left to debark.

What germs, number one fomite(vehicle for germs transport) is hands contact, now there are some germs for you, that you should be worried about. I agree that those who vape should be respective of others since being in direct contact of vapors in a car causes me to cough. Exhaling vapor spreads no more germs than breathing does. Coughing and sneezing have a potential to aresol those around you.

Sorry gonna disagree, rather people keep their 'water vapor germs' to themselves!:D

Ignorance, apathy and poverty...

I don't know, I don't care and I ain't got no money.

When I say ignorance I mean in general is they just don't now all the facts and it's not a falsehood, it is a opinion. In the water vapor there is contents of what is in the juice for sure. My reference too people equating it to cigarette smoke and the effects it has verses vapor.

Real ignorance is the posts that show up in every e-cig thread claiming its nothing but water vapor. Congrats on being the first one to post that falsehood in this thread!:o

Real ignorance is the posts that show up in every e-cig thread claiming its nothing but water vapor. Congrats on being the first one to post that falsehood in this thread!:o
Ignorance, apathy and poverty...

I don't know, I don't care and I ain't got no money.

When I say ignorance I mean in general is they just don't now all the facts and it's not a falsehood, it is a opinion. In the water vapor there is contents of what is in the juice for sure. My reference too people equating it to cigarette smoke and the effects it has verses vapor.

Well, I guess someone could say that the moon is made of green cheese and that's their "opinion." Sorry, but that would also be a falsehood - and saying that e-cigarette vapor is nothing but water vapor is also definitely a falsehood.

I also don't really buy that it's an innocent mistake - they do know better, it's pointed out in EVERY e-cig & vaping thread here.

• 1 month later...

I read this article this evening and remembered this discussion (and some others). Given some of this evidence I think RCI is right with their policy. I'm not sure how harmful this is really, I'm not a doctor, but this seems like a reputable report. If there's a chance that it could be harmful then why take the chance? Clearly more research is needed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/21/378663944/e-cigarettes-can-churn-out-high-levels-of-formaldehyde?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150121

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2015/01/embargoed_study_on_e-cigarette.html

Tom

Well, I guess someone could say that the moon is made of green cheese and that's their "opinion." Sorry, but that would also be a falsehood - and saying that e-cigarette vapor is nothing but water vapor is also definitely a falsehood.

I also don't really buy that it's an innocent mistake - they do know better, it's pointed out in EVERY e-cig & vaping thread here.

On the other side of the coin, the American Heart Association found that current research indicates that e-cigs are indeed less harmful than regular cigarettes:

"E-cigarettes either do not contain or have lower levels of several tobacco-derived harmful and potentially harmful constituents compared with cigarettes and smokeless tobacco," it states. E-cigarettes also "present an opportunity for harm reduction if smokers use them as substitutes for cigarettes."

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/08/22/CIR.0000000000000107.full.pdf

I vape.

I understand the possible health risks.

I do not think anyone should be exposed to vapor that contains PG/VG/Nicotine/Sweeteners/flavoring as we do not know how these chemicals act when vaporized.

25 years ago I made the poor decision to smoke. I am now down to almost zero nicotine e-cig. Hope to be smoke/vape free in the next few months. In the mean time, people should not be exposed to smoke/vapor because I have made the poor choice in my life.

You have a great attitude about it and I wish you great luck in your efforts to quit altogether! Although seeing as this post is 2 months old, hopefully you are almost there! :)

Edited by clawmachine

I read this article this evening and remembered this discussion (and some others). Given some of this evidence I think RCI is right with their policy. I'm not sure how harmful this is really, I'm not a doctor, but this seems like a reputable report. If there's a chance that it could be harmful then why take the chance? Clearly more research is needed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/21/378663944/e-cigarettes-can-churn-out-high-levels-of-formaldehyde?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150121

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2015/01/embargoed_study_on_e-cigarette.html

Tom

On the other side of the coin, the American Heart Association found that current research indicates that e-cigs are indeed less harmful than regular cigarettes:

"E-cigarettes either do not contain or have lower levels of several tobacco-derived harmful and potentially harmful constituents compared with cigarettes and smokeless tobacco," it states. E-cigarettes also "present an opportunity for harm reduction if smokers use them as substitutes for cigarettes."

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/08/22/CIR.0000000000000107.full.pdf

I don't think those two articles are necessarily in conflict. I think there's little doubt that e-cigs are likely less harmful than regular cigarettes. On the other hand, while there are many decades of studies on the health effects of cigarettes, in comparison relatively little is known about the health effects of e-cigs, and there are certainly some studies showing the potential for harmful effects.

I think those who have been long-term smokers and switch to e-cigs instead are likely making a positive step. On the other hand, taking a conservative, safe approach to where they're allowed or not allowed seems a reasonable thing for RCI and other cruise lines to do.

Does anybody know the Royal Caribbean policy on E-Cigs? Since there is no smell I would assume that you were at least allowed to use them in your room and balcony. I am betting the policy for the rest of the ship is the same as cigarettes since they look like smoke and it might give the wrong impression.

I am cruising on Brilliance in January and the E-cigs keep me from smoking regular cigarettes...which is a good thing.

E-ciggs are now included in many laws that ban regular cigarettes. You stated you smoke your e-cig to keep you from smoking regular cigarettes. So, wouldn't it be in your best practice to also limit your smoking to only allowed areas? Isn't the object to cut down on your habit? On a side note, e-ciggs still make you injest chemicals into your body, so follow the rules, and many laws, and stay in the smoking section until you kick the habit.

Tom

I cannot believe you bothered to dredge up this two month old thread to re-start this debate..................:confused::rolleyes:

FYI. On independence in December e cigs were being used all over the place and workers could care less. Went to vintages one night but left because so many people were using them. It seems employees don't feel enables to say anything. This clearly is a management issue. I could care less if piper use them but I do if it is next to me. Some are harmless but some e cigs are poison and the industry is unregulated so who would ever know what is being exhaled by the person next to you. Rci needs to change the policy so we know what is in store when cruising or enforce the policy.

FYI. On independence in December e cigs were being used all over the place and workers could care less. Went to vintages one night but left because so many people were using them. It seems employees don't feel enables to say anything. This clearly is a management issue. I could care less if piper use them but I do if it is next to me. Some are harmless but some e cigs are poison and the industry is unregulated so who would ever know what is being exhaled by the person next to you. Rci needs to change the policy so we know what is in store when cruising or enforce the policy.

Yes it is, and if that had been me, I'd have gone and complained to management - first to the manager at Vintages (ask for the manager), then to guest services if necessary. If its not brought to management's attention, then it won't be fixed.

Actually, RCCL does get it. They realize that it's some of the passengers who are ignorant, and don't/won't know the difference between a regular cigarette and an e-cig.

.:)

Well, if they don't what planet have they been living on:cool:

Is this page 6 yet.............

Great, a smoking thread! I thought nobody was starting them anymore.

To answer the OP's original question, they are treated like regular cigarettes. You are only supposed to use them in the smoking areas. I take it you are trying to quit smoking? Good luck! It ain't easy! If you think people go ballistic over E-cigarette smoke, you ought to see them when you light up a cigar!

Good luck on the quitting.

Elvis

Agreed!:D

What about cologne and perfume? You should do your research on those if you think ecigs are harmful. TONS of toxins and harmful chemicals. Like you don't want to smell ecigs? I don't want to smell the cologne or perfume you decided to bathe in. I would rather be around someone with an ecig then someone who showered themselves in "fragrance" 😷 any day of the week. And no, I don't smoke or use ecigs.

To the OP - on our last 4 cruises people were using them on balconies and in smoking areas. Saw one person using one in the comedy club

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CaribSailor

It was new information to me and since RCI's policy is often in question I thought this supported their case. I think we have to constantly challenge ourselves to learn new information about controversial subjects. For what it's worth I would have posted something in favor of e-cigs as well if I thought it was interesting. I think there is a mentality that thinks e-cigs are absolutely harmless on all counts (I was in that group) and this article made me think twice about it.

I was going to start a new thread, but I found this old one and figured it was better to just use it.

Tom

I cannot believe you bothered to dredge up this two month old thread to re-start this debate..................:confused::rolleyes:

E-cig vapor is not just "water vapor." It contains many chemicals, including high levels of toxic metals, and we don't yet know the effects of that. I do not wish to be exposed to that, and don't think it should be permitted in public spaces.

Agreed.....well said.

And....why not?

I am interested in the information given, even if it is late.

Why did you bother to even click on the "old" thread and comment on it? That makes you just as bad for even bringing it up to ask the question. If you don't like it, don't read it.

E-cig vapor is not just "water vapor." It contains many chemicals, including high levels of toxic metals, and we don't yet know the effects of that. I do not wish to be exposed to that, and don't think it should be permitted in public spaces.

Agreed.....well said.

The problem is this isn't well said. While it is correct that e-cig vapor isn't just water vapor, and sadly too many users of e-cigs still put forth this false statement.

However, stating that e-cig vapor contains high levels of toxic metals is also a false statement. One study from 2 years ago found *trace* levels of toxic metals in 2 brands of Chinese e-cigs that are no longer manufactured, and was caused by poor manufacturing processes of the e-cigs themselves, not the e-liquid. The myriad other brands tested in this same study yielded no toxic metal at all, yet this little detail is always conveniently left out.

I don't smoke at all but my daughter smokes the e-cigar. and I am much happier knowing she is smoking that than regular cigarettes....honestly, they don't smell why do some people have to create an issue when there isn't any!

Until there is definitive scientific proof that e-cigarette smoking is a harmless as you wish to believe, I think RCI and others are on strong grounds in treating their use in the same manner as the treat cigarette smoking. We grew up hearing claims from tobacco companies that smoking was not dangerous and now many of these same companies are selling e-cigarettes and making similar claims. For me it is a case of "once bitten, twice shy".

The problem is there are two layers of proof involved here. Most e-cig users (if they are realistic about it) will admit that it's highly doubtful that e-cigs are completely harmless to the user. Lungs are meant to breathe clean air and nothing else.

The tricky part comes with "second hand vapor". There is study after study that concludes that there is little to no risk to second hand vapor exposure, yet in my opinion there will never, ever be a study that concludes that there is zero risk. There have been numerous attempts to quantify that risk but the reality is that study after study has had to qualify the validity of their results due to contamination of the air in the laboratory, contamination of the lab equipment, etc. That's how small the percentage of "contaminants" are.

IMO e-cigs are simply too much of a hot topic and we'll never get past the preconceptions that people bring to the subject. It's a shame.

I don't smoke at all but my daughter smokes the e-cigar. and I am much happier knowing she is smoking that than regular cigarettes....honestly, they don't smell why do some people have to create an issue when there isn't any!

Because some people are not happy unless they're complaining and making sure other people are not having a good time. Their philosophy is "I'm miserable so everyone else should be miserable also." Okay folks, flame on!

Elvis