River Cruising for Active Adults

yialanliu

Hi all,

I just came back from a Viking Rhine trip and I would rate it a 7/10. My major complaint was that my wife and I were completely out of the age group being 25 and everyone else looked to be ~60 or older. I love the river cruise aspect of being on a river but the tours and all that were extremely slow paced and also unfortunately, we also felt isolated as we don't have kids to talk about let alone grandkids being in a very different stage of life.

Does anyone know of another company that caters to the younger folks or am I stuck with the ocean big companies if I want more diversity?

The one funny thing is there was no small kids which is great, but it'd be even better if there was a company that did a similar type of thing without gearing it to retirees.

Thanks,

Yi Liu

Edited by yialanliu

Hello,

Pacmom, I also immediately thought of Arosa! Other than that I suggest a river cruise that includes bike tours. CroisiEurope (based in France) and Thurgau Travel (based in Switzerland) do them. They are special itineraries which, I think, are not offered to their English-speaking customers. But you can always check their websites of course. There are other themed cruises that might include more activities. I travelled with the Transocean Belvedere last year, the age range on my cruise was 30 to 80 which the major passengers between 40 and 60. They accommodate German guests and English-speaking guests from all over Europe.

notamermaid

Wow I was just researching them actually.

rivercruiseadvisor.com/cruise-companies/viking-river-cruises-vs-uniworld-river-cruises/

Looks to fit what we need a bit better.

Oh and cruising when done right is not much more if any than a multilegged trip so my belief is thank goodness I was brought up in a cruising family, the cost isn't bad at all in my opinion. :)

Edited by LauraS

As you can see from the chart in the link you posted, you had the bad luck to chose one of the few river cruise lines that provides neither a fitness facility nor bicycles on board. Many others do, including the four shown in your link (A-Rosa, AMA, Tauck, and Uniworld). A new line, Emerald Waterways, includes fitness, bicycles and a pool on their ships -- they are a branch of Scenic and I believe they are going after a younger demographic.