PVSA and cabotage

Lutèce

Not exactly the same thing. After all, even your presidents refer to you as 'my fellow Americans' and I don't suppose they mean Canadians or inhabitants of Central and South America:)

Our borders are so porous that they are practically referring to Canada and South America when they say my fellow Americans in a public address. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Just an aside... the quote feature only seems to working when you click on the last post.

From Lutece; "Not exactly the same thing. After all, even your presidents refer to you as 'my fellow Americans' and I don't suppose they mean Canadians or inhabitants of Central and South America:)"

Many times US citizens are perceived as being arrogant as we call ourselves "Americans" although we share this pretty big continent with a lot of other countries. I think we came to call ourselves Americans innocently... a United Statesian just doesn't have a good sound to it! The U.S. is the only country that uses the term "America" in the name of the country. For example we have Dominion of Canada, Los Estados Mexicanos, La Republica de Panama and so on. So it is easy to see how "American" came to be associated with the United States.

I lived outside the US a good while and where I was living in Latin America, they had another name for folks from the US (no, not that one;))! Occasionally they would refer to someone from the US as "Americano"... but generally they would refer to people from the US as Norte Americano, even though that could include Canadians and Mexicans as well. So I guess the inconsistencies will continue.

To keep this thread on topic, probably the PVSA would not be much of a topic on this board if every once in a while it did not rear its ugly head and cause some cruiser from no to be able to string three or four B2Bs together. The same ship on the same voyage can be in violation because a passenger happens to stay on too long or get off too early!!

The Jones act (for cargo) and the PVSA were enacted to "protect" American flagged shipping. There isn't any

The Pride of America was reflagged as an American ship so it could cruise the Hawaiian Islands without going to Kiribati (foreign port). This forced the cruise line to hire a mostly American crew and pay then at least minimum wage. Read the member reviews to see how this affected service.

Uncruise.com has US-flagged ships, American crew and itineraries totally within Alaska. We've taken them twice and service is superb.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

Our borders are so porous that they are practically referring to Canada and South America when they say my fellow Americans in a public address. :rolleyes:

No kidding; I can't believe how many Europeans snuck in during the 17th, 18th and 19th century.

Citing one of our senators as a source is usually a very bad idea.

Not exactly the same thing. After all, even your presidents refer to you as 'my fellow Americans' and I don't suppose they mean Canadians or inhabitants of Central and South America:)

An equally bad idea . . .

Sort of. It a US law that applies to US ports (not "American")

I didn't mean to cause any offence, but could you please explain to a European citizen, what is the difference between them? I wouldn't have thought of using 'US' instead of 'American' as to me they are synonymous.

Most people do use American to mean US but technically North America is made up of three countries, not just the US.

Most people do use American to mean US but technically North America is made up of three countries, not just the US.

It's made up of a lot more than three countries... But I'm just being technical.

• United States
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Cuba
  • Dominican Republic
  • Guatemala
  • Costa Rica
  • Panama
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Nicaragua
  • Haiti
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Saint Lucia
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Grenada
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Dominica

Uncruise.com has US-flagged ships, American crew and itineraries totally within Alaska. We've taken them twice and service is superb.

Dear Gloria,

You are correct. I did not mention small ship outfits that cruise the Mississippi and Columbia Rivers, or the coasts and inland waterways of the US. They are not the ones that can have a problem with a B2B cruise.

Edited by Talisker92

It's made up of a lot more than three countries... But I'm just being technical.

• United States
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Cuba
  • Dominican Republic
  • Guatemala
  • Costa Rica
  • Panama
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Nicaragua
  • Haiti
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Saint Lucia
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Grenada
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Dominica

Only the US , Canada and Mexico is in North America . The rest are Central America or the Caribbean.

Only the US , Canada and Mexico is in North America . The rest are Central America or the Caribbean.

North America is a continent; Central America is not. There are countries on that list on the land mass of North America that are also in Central America.

Edited by RuthC

Do you know something that World Atlas doesn't?
North America, the planet’s 3rd largest continent, includes (23) countries and dozens of possessions and territories. It contains all Caribbean and Central America countries, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, the United States of America, as well as Greenland - the world’s largest island.

According to https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/countries-of-north-america.html the countries included in North America are:

Antigua & Barbuda

Bahamas

Barbados

Belize

Canada

Costa Rica

Cuba

Dominica

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Grenada

Guatemala