Just Rude!!

golfb4cruzing

I am going to have to hug my mama twice tomorrow for teaching me manners. It would never occur to me to cut in line. And when I have done something inadvertently which offends, I say sorry. It is amazing how many people have the Me First menality, but who are trying to maximize what they get, even if they step all over your vacation. I try to be laid back on vacation and let it roll off, but if I have been waiting for something and I don't get a chance because of rude people, I will admit I call them out on it. IF nothing else I get to go home and not have to do the "if only I had said something" game forever.

Most of the time, I would say, "excuse me, but the end of the line is right there." I think many of these people figured out that people won't call them out on their discourteous ways and it just encourages them more.

When I worked in retail and realized someone was pulling something like that, I would say that I would help them as soon as possible, and then take the next person.

One valid complaint of my daughter is that adults won't hesitate to cut in front of her and other kids. She's just barely 5 feet and at 17, she can pass for 12 or 14 easily. If she's been waiting in line, she deserves to be treated with courtesy just as another one else.

People cut in line everyday at all sorts of places, supermarkets, movies etc.... so why is it any different on a cruise ship and why does it merit a thread.

Shall I start a thread about the nice person who held the elevator door for me on a cruise ship?

When I posted about you, I didn't think you read CC. :cool:

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

My wife and I are both born and raised in NY. If I had my way ....but the wife needed a nice vacation. I'm already retired.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

I disagree. Everyone behind the rude person was inconvenienced by having to wait that much longer. And the rude person had their "entitlement" reinforced instead of receiving a small lesson in proper behavior that, if taken to heart (unlikely I know), would have served her much better in the long run.

I agree. The crew member, probably afraid of a complaint, nevertheless handled it poorly. A simple, I'm sorry Ma'am but I need to take care of everyone in turn, then inviting her to join the line would have sufficed. I admit, faced with these people, I have pointed out the end of the line. Crew usually backs me up, because then there's no bigger risk of getting a complaint either way.

But I seriously dislike "me first" people.

I innocently cut into a line and was verbally abused by an elderly male loudly demanding, "Hey Kid, are you BLIND?" I smiled sweetly at him and said as loudly, "How clever of you to notice that young Sir!" Everyone within earshot was in fits of laughter-he was 80+ and an absolute nuisance! He wife politely advised the couple in the green jackets were the last of the line. I thanked her, ignored him and went to the end of the line. I seemed to meet that guy in every shop I needed to go into, I finally said to him, "I'm going somewhere where youWON'T be-the Ladies Room!" Well he burst out laughing at the exasperated comment, it was just we each needed to go to those particular shops, but there was SOMEWHERE we couldn't meet!

Crochetcruise :cool:

If you were from New York (the capital of rude) like we are you would have said, "Yo Beatch get to the back of the line"! My wife who commutes to Manhattan everyday has told many people off who tried to cut the bus line. She is especially bitchy when it's a cold day and she has been standing there for 15-20 minutes. Someone told her to shut up and boy was he sorry. You can't blame the staff. They are paid to be nice and are afraid of confrontation. You need to be assertive when someone tries to take advantage.

Dear Iamcruzin,

With all due respect the capital of New York isn't 'rude' - it's Albany.

There are over 8 million people in NYC; clearly responses differ.

Just my personal experience, but I've found that more often than not, calling people names like "Yo Beatch" solves nothing. Being assertive definitely has it's place on certain occasions, but on non-life threatening events, it simply provokes and has the potential to escalate a minor event to an incident. I feel this applies wherever you go - be it on land or at sea, but that's only my personal opinion.:)

Happy Thanksgiving from a native New Yorker :)

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

We we're on the 11/8 sailing of the Ruby and after boarding wandered up to the Sanctuary to check on availability. We had boarded early in the process and there were only 3 or 4 folks in front of us. Then as we are all standing there, this heavily bedazzled elderly woman walked straight up to the worker at the checkin podium and made herself next in line.

I was in the elite check in line in Ft. Lauderdale recently.

There were about 10 people in line, and 2 agents.

So, every minute or two, the line would bump ahead.

I reach down to connect my two rolling suitcases together,

and one couple walks around me.

I mean, really? I am ready to move as soon as the line does.

Should I call them out on it? Or pretend that I'm having fun

on vacation.

You meet the nicest people on ships...

Entitled people won't take a cruise that costs almost 3 times more. The more expensive the cruise the more the people on board earned what they have and appreciate others that have done the same. Have done Oceania, Regent, Paul Gaugin, others and have never seen this type of behavior.

Really? LOL

And of course this behavior does not show up only on cruise ships.

I volunteer at a food pantry that is in a church basement. Yesterday we were stocking shelves before we were open to distribute food. A lady knocked on the back door. I told her we were not open yet. She said she needed to use the bathroom, so I let her in.

Instead of going to the bathroom, she went and signed in so she and her friends (she was signing in more than one name) could be at the top of the list to be able to get their food.

I saw what she did, and tried to shame her. But, she was shameless. In retrospect, I should have ripped up the list and told her to get out.

Many years ago, I worked in a toy store.

I was the most senior staffer in the store one Christmas Eve night. Unsurprisingly, it was a total zoo right up to closing time. We closed the gates to the store (we were in a mall) and I stood at the only space left open to let people out. Some people tried to come in, but I turned them away. One man comes running up and tells me he got separated from his son and was still in our store. I really didn't have any choice but to let him in. Ten minutes later, the store is clear and the staff is cleaning up and one of them comes up to me to tell me one guy is refusing to leave the store until he's done shopping. Guess who? I tell the staffer to stay at the door and not let anyone in unless they have a badge.

He did have the grace to look a little embarrassed when I frog marched him up to the cash to pay for his armload of toys. Oh, and his son, he was at home, he didn't even come shopping with his dad.

People are people, the polite and the not so polite. I try to be the first and try to ignore the second. They don't have the right to ruin my day by getting me upset.

Unfortunately as time goes on it seems that the lack of politeness and common courtesy is becoming all too common.

But I refuse to give in to the "me first/get out of my way/I'm more important" attitude hoping by demonstrating the Golden Rule maybe one or two others will adopt it too and the world will be a little better for it. You know - the old "change the world one person at a time" thing.

I know, how naive. But even if futile at least my little world feels better to me for doing so...

Once at our local farmers market many people were standing in line to buy some fish. In walks a guy wearing cycling clothes complete with helmet and sun glasses. He walked to the front of the line. The fish Monger told him politely where the back of the line was. The cyclists then went to the back of the line. When he got to the front, he took off his sunglasses to look at the fish. Low and behold it was Dr. Oz wanting to buy some fish. I do think he did not realize just where the line started as he was a visitor and does not live here. Everyone had a good laugh at that.

Once at our local farmers market many people were standing in line to buy some fish. In walks a guy wearing cycling clothes complete with helmet and sun glasses. He walked to the front of the line. The fish Monger told him politely where the back of the line was. The cyclists then went to the back of the line. When he got to the front, he took off his sunglasses to look at the fish. Low and behold it was Dr. Oz wanting to buy some fish. I do think he did not realize just where the line started as he was a visitor and does not live here. Everyone had a good laugh at that.

He knew.

He knew.

I wasn't there ,so it's hard to say. Honest mistakes are made and I've made them myself. Yes, some people do these things intentionally, but with a bit of polite but firm redirection most will move to the back of the line, celebrities included. I really do believe this but am not a very cynical person.

Many years ago, I worked in a toy store.

I was the most senior staffer in the store one Christmas Eve night. Unsurprisingly, it was a total zoo right up to closing time. We closed the gates to the store (we were in a mall) and I stood at the only space left open to let people out. Some people tried to come in, but I turned them away. One man comes running up and tells me he got separated from his son and was still in our store. I really didn't have any choice but to let him in. Ten minutes later, the store is clear and the staff is cleaning up and one of them comes up to me to tell me one guy is refusing to leave the store until he's done shopping. Guess who? I tell the staffer to stay at the door and not let anyone in unless they have a badge.

He did have the grace to look a little embarrassed when I frog marched him up to the cash to pay for his armload of toys. Oh, and his son, he was at home, he didn't even come shopping with his dad.

People are people, the polite and the not so polite. I try to be the first and try to ignore the second. They don't have the right to ruin my day by getting me upset.

It seems that many people seem to feel entitled to everyone accommodating their procrastination and other bad habits. Some years ago, when working for a specialty store (we did walk in business but much of our products were oriented toward the film industry). We did get people buying gifts for the writer in their life, but much of our business the last couple of weeks were major purchases (computers) for tax purposes. We closed early -- about an hour or two -- for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve so employees can have the time off. One year after Christmas (whatever the next day we were open), someone came in complaining that one of her special errands while in LA (she was from another country) was to visit our store and she hadn't been pleased when she came by the other day and we were already closed. I don't know how stores work in her country on holiday eves, but if I was planning to go to a store on 12/24 or 12/31, I would check to see how late they were going to be open.

I also remember one time when my BIL joined my hubby and I on a Friday night at a mall. Around 8:55, he noticed that one jewelry store was closing and the staff vacuuming the carpet. He commented on that, and I pointed out that these employees probably don't get paid extra for staying beyond 9 pm, but they still have to run the credit card machine and clean up. And that they have a life. (I could have also pointed out that with that kind of store, you probably just don't run in and make a purchase in five minutes). As someone who had never worked in retail, he just didn't have a clue.

I think the key word is "many." How can he not know? If I'm walking up to a cash register, I tried to make sure there aren't others at the counter or seemingly around it, waiting to make a purchase. If unclear, I'll ask if they're in line. Sometimes, someone at the counter is just waiting for a employee who is helping them to return with something in the back or whatever. But to just ignore others who have been waiting for a while to get taken care of -- that's not courteous.

I do appreciate workers who do try to wait on customers in order. They might not always know who is next so it's up to customers to be polite and not just demand to jump ahead of others.

Lets be real folks. It is not about "entitlement" or money but its simply about jerks! But complaining, at a later time, about a crew member not being more assertive is not helpful. The crew are caught between a rock and a hard place and try to avoid confrontation at all times. The fault here lies with the folks waiting in line. When that happens one or more of the folks (already in line) need to say, "excuse me, but we are waiting in line and your place is at the rear" or some other similar remark. This also puts the crew member into a good position to gently support the passengers patiently waiting. Most line cutters are folks who have been doing that most of their life (even before they were seniors) and since nobody calls them out for their behavior they figure its OK to keep following this rude practice.

Hank

We we're on the 11/8 sailing of the Ruby and after boarding wandered up to the Sanctuary to check on availability. We had boarded early in the process and there were only 3 or 4 folks in front of us. Then as we are all standing there, this heavily bedazzled elderly woman walked straight up to the worker at the checkin podium and made herself next in line. After a couple of shots across her bow, by the people who were next, she gave them a "peasant - please!!" look and the worker took care of her. And she was in no rush in picking her seat either. My wife saved the worker that day because it was my full intention to let him know, if he assisted Broomhilda before the rightfully standing folks, I was headed downstairs and formally complain. You can't fix entitled nitwits but I can cause problems for staff. I'm sure he felt bullied and in a no win situation with this crazy woman. This cruise was a very rude trip and all seniors which I was really surprised. Maybe I need to get out more. After that we walked away because I would have felt compelled to stalk that woman every day.

Maybe the "heavily bedazzled elderly woman" was in line earlier and had to go get something? Maybe she was tired from carrying all her bedazzled self around? I don't see too much effective bullying on Princess, yes people can try to bully others but it doesn't really work that way. I guess you don't play trivia, otherwise you would know that the staff do not put up with much BS.

If I was there I would have asked the "heavily bedazzled elderly woman" why she cut in front of others, otherwise I am just assuming.

Hahahahahahaha!

*pauses for breath*

Hahahahahahahahaha!

In my opinion, it is not where you are going or how you are getting there....it's where you come from. I have seen that behavior many times in some areas of Florida. I was on the line at a Starbucks in a mall and a "bedazzled" woman literally shoved me out of the way and cut in front of me and about 5 others!