Canaries cruise rip off. Anthem of the Seas

snitch

Sorry MM, but someone with only 3 posts on CC is probably not going to to pick up on that...and unless it was edited there were no icons to suggest the sarcasm. Assuming the OP is new to RCI/cruising..this is a tough and expensive lesson to learn. I believe that quoting rules and regulations will provide helpful information, but little comfort.

Cathy, this site is not about "comfort" but about "help" and "information" and "advice". I have provided that.

:)

Cathy, this site is not about "comfort" but about "help" and "information" and "advice". I have provided that.

:)

Yes you did, like you typically do. And I have been around long enough to know that. I was primarily focused on setsails response.

And because I have been around a while I assume that most people on this board have positive intent but posters new to this board do not have that point of reference. Have a nice holiday!

Edited by Wilda

Yes you did, like you typically do. And I have been around long enough to know that. I was primarily focused on setsails response.

And because I have been around a while I assume that most people on this board have positive intent but posters new to this board do not have that point of reference. Have a nice holiday!

You are right about that, Cathy. It IS important to be "kind to the newbies". ;)

I have booked an Anthem cruise next June under this prom, however the Allure TA next Oct I've booked is now included in this offer but I can't get the offer without losing my (quite massive) TA deposit, because I live in the UK.

Which has got me thinking. I keep hearing about the "much better" consumer rights European's have over the USA, but I'm not sure what they are. My deposit is non-refundable and I can't benefit from price drops (either before or after final payment)

What is in my advantage, that my American friends don't get?

It's not just a UK thing, it's an entire rest of the world thing with deposits. Only in US and Canada is a deposit refundable. (unless there is a special being offered in a specific could.Try) Also, only in US and Canada can you get price drops before final payment. All of us on all the rest of the world have non-refundable deposits, and no option of price drops. We pay whatever the price is at the time, and that's it. If we have to change or cancel, no refund of deposit. Enjoy your US/Canada perks. Maybe some day cruise lines will make the rules the same across the board.

I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the info.

Must be the US/Canada less favourable consumer laws ;)

Most likely has much more to do with historical cruising practices, seeing as US been the major market for some time, and has had the majority of ships leaving from there and pricing structures developed to entice customers due to competition, etc. For the rest of the world, the cruise line's attitudes are much more "Take It or Leave It", as evidenced by the original poster's situation.

I'm inclined to agree with your suggestion. But perhaps someone form the US or Canada could let us know what consumer laws prevent you from losing your deposits?

Statistically, 87% of cruise passengers come from either the US (60.2%) or Europe (27%). European countries have very rigorous consumer protection laws - apparently to their detriment in this case. The industry simply caters to its major revenue stream. The next largest segment is Asia with 6.7%. The rest of the world makes up just over 6% of the total market.

European countries DO have very rigorous consumer protection laws, (as we are constantly reminded) BUT they DO NOT prevent the refunding of deposits. PLEASE understand this. The ''law'' allows companies (in this case RCI) to charge a cancelation fee and RCI CHOOSE this to be the full deposit!

We know this when we book and by booking we accept it!

It's $12 (~ £7.60) per person per day, not £12 unless you're in a suite then it's $14.25 per person per day. If you booked direct with RCI it will have been clearly shown during the booking process.

Pete is correct... UK sailings/UK passengers are being charged $12 USD per day just like everyone else.

To be fair, if there are price drops, RCI will upgrade at no charge if the price of the next category is less or equal to your original pricing. They have done this for us several times.

Only after final payment does this become a problem.

I have booked an Anthem cruise next June under this prom, however the Allure TA next Oct I've booked is now included in this offer but I can't get the offer without losing my (quite massive) TA deposit, because I live in the UK.

Which has got me thinking. I keep hearing about the "much better" consumer rights European's have over the USA, but I'm not sure what they are. My deposit is non-refundable and I can't benefit from price drops (either before or after final payment)

European consumer law states that you should get what you paid for, is 'as described' and also with a degree of financial protection should the provider of the goods or service fail to deliver.

For holidays booked in the UK we call this protection ATOL and ABTA, what is covered and how they actually cover you is not always clear.

ATOL - covers flights and air holidays if you book flights through a licensed agent in the UK. If you book scheduled flights direct with the airline there is no protection - use a credit card to pay for additional financial protection.

ABTA - a UK travel trade association for tour operators and agents which provides cover for if your travel company fails and your holiday can no longer go ahead. You will be entitled to a refund if you are yet to travel and hotel costs and transport home if you are abroad.

Accommodation-only bookings: These are not legally required to be protected. However some travel providers, including many ABTA Members (and RCI UK), choose to protect these through ABTA.

So yes you do get automatic ATOL and ABTA protection if you book a package through a UK agent that is an ABTA Member.

So... what is in my advantage, that my American friends don't get?

Financial protection if any company which forms part of your 'booked as a package' holiday fails.

The downside for the consumer is the protection offered to the companies... the right to charge a cancelation fee.

BUT they DO NOT prevent the refunding of deposits. (see my post above)

European consumer law states that you should get what you paid for, is 'as described' and also with a degree of financial protection should the provider of the goods or service fail to deliver.

For holidays booked in the UK we call this protection ATOL and ABTA, what is covered and how they actually cover you is not always clear.

ATOL - covers flights and air holidays if you book flights through a licensed agent in the UK. If you book scheduled flights direct with the airline there is no protection - use a credit card to pay for additional financial protection.

ABTA - a UK travel trade association for tour operators and agents which provides cover for if your travel company fails and your holiday can no longer go ahead. You will be entitled to a refund if you are yet to travel and hotel costs and transport home if you are abroad.

Accommodation-only bookings: These are not legally required to be protected. However some travel providers, including many ABTA Members (and RCI UK), choose to protect these through ABTA.

So yes you do get automatic ATOL and ABTA protection if you book a package through a UK agent that is an ABTA Member.

So... what is in my advantage, that my American friends don't get?

Financial protection if any company which forms part of your 'booked as a package' holiday fails.

The downside for the consumer is the protection offered to the companies... the right to charge a cancelation fee.

BUT they DO NOT prevent the refunding of deposits. (see my post above)

While these laws technically do not prevent a tour operator from refunding of deposits, the net effect is the same. The law puts the operator on the financial hook for all manner of disruptions, and grants very few remedies for relief, so the operators take relief where and when the law allows. If the only available recourse available to mitigate the considerable financial risk imposed by the law is a cancellation fee (and I presume the law does not allow a cancellation fee in excess of monies paid), then the law has left the operator with no other option but to claw back the only monies available to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My guess is that the laws in the US are not responsible for the refund policy, but the market. As someone else stated there is a history of refunding deposits. Operators are afraid to be the 1st to make theirs non-refundable for fear of losing market share and bookings. My assumption is based on other travel industries such airlines and some hotels having non-refundable fares and deposits. Why would laws protect consumers in one industry and not another?

While these protections all sound great, an airline or TA going bust will cause plenty of issues most of which would be covered by travel insurance regardless of ATOL or others. Part of the "spiel" that someone selling a cruise has to say is about buying travel insurance.

Some (some, not all) American cruisers talk about not buying travel insurance, so I assume they have protections similar to ATOL, but in another form.

In terms of refundable deposits, I suppose it will take a brave UK TA to take the first step, and when they do, I'm betting they'll benefit big time as people flock to book through them. After that, the others will have to follow.

You really are kidding, right? Royal Caribbean's gratuity policy is $12 a day and is billed in advance if one has My Time Dining or with Dynamic Dining. Kids eat, sleep etc. just as adults do. If the gratuities are not paid in advance, they are billed once onboard.

I am writing this explanation just in the strange possibility you weren't kidding.

We're booked on the Quantum's DD and no prepaid grats.

My guess is that the laws in the US are not responsible for the refund policy, but the market. As someone else stated there is a history of refunding deposits. Operators are afraid to be the 1st to make theirs non-refundable for fear of losing market share and bookings. My assumption is based on other travel industries such airlines and some hotels having non-refundable fares and deposits. Why would laws protect consumers in one industry and not another?

Also, my I add that the US has on the average, the most lawyers and I'm sure that there would be a class action suit which would cost a typical industry plenty of Do-re-mi.

This is the second time RCI have introduced the "all inclusive" offer (it isn't all inclusive but that's another story) for cruises in 2015.

Our Anthem cruise which we booked outside of these offers like yourself went up in price instantly both times the offer was announced. It may be something to check.

I stand corrected; it seems that RCI put prices up immediately the "all Inclusive" deal was advertised, it seems you only get what you pay for. Take note RCI, your pricing policy needs greater clarity ! There really is no such thing as a free lunch or free drinks.

Like you I have felt cheated in the past when I've seen the offers that rci put out,and we haven't received anything.I now know not to feel aggrieved as the price I've paid in the original booking is always a lot less than the prices quoted with the offers. Were sailing twice next year and on our Explorer booking the prices quoted now are nearly one thousand pounds more than we paid which more than makes up for things offered that we don't want. It's best not to look once you've paid your deposit and are happy with the cabin etc you want

… and I can't benefit from price drops (either before or after final payment)

Yes we do get price drops in the UK. You need to get a new TA if your one does not do this for you.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk