What is a ladies

Minoushka

Wardrobe like on Oceania .I.m not too clear on what is elegant resort casuall wear .....

I.m not planning fancy gowns ...Howver I do have some pretty elegant black dresses I would wear on a formal night on any other ship ...would that be too much ?

Can someone clarify ....i have a whole slew of very pretty dresses which I do wear out to nice restaurants or outings here ....not sure I woulsd call them casual ...

One resident expert here suggests you think along the line of Chico's (you can view their site online) for ladies. That might give you an idea.

There are actually dozens of threads about clothing in this forum. I hope it is not rude to suggest you seek them out. I will try to link one or two.

One doesn't see too much of the really elegant dressy dresses on O - but that is just my experience. I don't think anyone would look down on you for wearing this if it makes you happy.

Donna

Here is one thread from July of last year, still relevant I think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1997839&highlight=dress+code

Edited by Toranut97
Added link.

Every cruise is different but you will find many very well dressed women on board. Many like to "dress up"a bit in the evening.

It is not unusual to see fancier cocktail dresses in the specialty restaurants and at the Captain's party. There are plenty of beaded sparkly tops. long silky skirts and flowing pants on board in the GDR -- sometimes even in the Terrace.

None of what I describe is required -- you can get by with far more casual clothes -- but it is not uncommon.

Wardrobe like on Oceania .I.m not too clear on what is elegant resort casuall wear .....

I.m not planning fancy gowns ...Howver I do have some pretty elegant black dresses I would wear on a formal night on any other ship ...would that be too much ?

Can someone clarify ....i have a whole slew of very pretty dresses which I do wear out to nice restaurants or outings here ....not sure I woulsd call them casual ...

I believe your cruise is in FP and when I was there on PG, I brought beaded tunics from TAJ and elegant sundresses with pashmina in case it is chilly. Add some nice jewelry and beaded sandals or heels if you choose. My Summer home is 2 hrs from Montreal and I am sure your evening wear will be most sophisticated;)....I personally am not a Chico's fan, and the woman on board our ship from Montreal always looked very casually elegant in the evenings. Enjoy!

You can wear what ever you like even formal gowns if that is your preference

Some women wear sparkles with nice black slacks others wear cocktail dresses

one thing do bring a cardigan or pashmina as some rooms in the public areas can get cool

I agree. Wear what you want. I have a couple of travel weight pants and tops, nothing special. They always say no jeans in the MDR but I've seen women with designer jeans and heels that probably cost a lot more than what I wear. Also women in khakis and nice tops. A bit dressier in the specialty dining rooms.

Personally, I never bring jewelry when I travel. Just a timex watch and wedding ring-even leave the engagement ring at home. But I've seen people with elegant, expensive jewelry.

I also like to think that even though I am from Southern California that I have cutting edge clothes. A little black dress that is elegant is not over the top. Also silk slacks with fabulous tops...not necessarily beaded...just fab are great. You will be fine! I am positive!!!

Im not sure if you are familiar with Laura stores in Montreal ..my pretty dresses come from here so they are quite elegant ...thanks for your input

Now to pick and chose to fit 50 lbs ..such a struggle ...LOL

I know Laura, we have them in Toronto, nice place for dressier clothes.

Do remember you'll be in French Polynesia, so it's likely to be a bit more casual than normal. But you won't feel out of place in an elegant dress. Do remember that you can wear the same outfit twice during the cruise--nobody will remember what you wore. And accessories can go a long way in helping to extend a wardrobe constrained by air travel!

Absolutely ...you are right ..however lately I bought so many pretty dresses which I have to leave behind ...boohoo because i.m sure Im at 50 lbs plus Tahiti nui ..mean people weigh carry on ...boo on them i put a lot of stuff in those ..Im sure im close or over that ....

Plus now i need to add long pants a shirts ...not too many just for day visits to avoid mosquito bites ..I do have my skin so soft ...i hope they hate it ..LOL

Which ultimatwly means I cannot buy anything except ...pearls ........;)

as!nothing else will fit in

Personally, I never bring jewelry when I travel. Just a timex watch and wedding ring-even leave the engagement ring at home. But I've seen people with elegant, expensive jewelry.

I have some cheap bling I bring on the cruise ...people comment how nice it is hate to tell them some of it was under $20 & then I have some Swarovski earrings they are a bit more $ but certainly look nice to dress up a casual outfit

;)

Lyn

Absolutely ...you are right ..however lately I bought so many pretty dresses which I have to leave behind ...boohoo because i.m sure Im at 50 lbs plus Tahiti nui ..mean people weigh carry on ...boo on them i put a lot of stuff in those ..Im sure im close or over that ....

Plus now i need to add long pants a shirts ...not too many just for day visits to avoid mosquito bites ..I do have my skin so soft ...i hope they hate it ..LOL

Which ultimatwly means I cannot buy anything except ...pearls ........;)

as!nothing else will fit in

I cannot even imagine packing 50lbs :eek:

We have packed less for different climates on 1 cruise

We went from 30C to -20C on a month long cruise & still weighed in around 35lbs

even with winter coats packed

I would just leave a few items home & do laundry or send it out

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Yes but I hate wearing anything twice ...i really do look at cruises as a bit of a fashion show ,..I know ...I know ..but i really enjoy wearing my pretty clothes ..not that many occasions here so I love to wear my nice cruise stuff on cruises ...true no one really notices but I do .....

Yes but I hate wearing anything twice ...i really do look at cruises as a bit of a fashion show ,..I know ...I know ..but i really enjoy wearing my pretty clothes ..not that many occasions here so I love to wear my nice cruise stuff on cruises ...true no one really notices but I do .....

I am similar and here is my key to packing. DH and I both have our 50lbs checked bags. For my carryon, I bring the large LV handbag and my normal carryon. DH does not carry a purse therefore, he takes my additional carryon that is packed with all of my expensive accessories and expensive shoes. :)) I take my jewelry etc in my large handbag. In the event my bags get lost, I do not have to worry about the expensive replacement. French women have the best style and the key is to accessorize and then you can wear something twice and it will never look the same.

Just got off Insigna yesterday and while I know it was a Holiday Cruise with many families, I have to say how disappointed we were with the casualness of the attire worn in the Grand Dinning room. More people look like they were going out for pizza than having dinner at a fine restaurant. And if they have a "No Jeans" rule, it was not enforced! One of the reasons we have also sailed on Oceania, along with Regent and Crystal, was the upscale feeling you had about your fellow guests. The pictures in the brochures looking nothing like the real world in cruising today. If you are worried about bringing a sport coat, don't, it isn't about comfort, it's about taste.

The folks who like that sort of thing (and you're not alone) will notice and appreciate your fashions. The majority probably won't notice unless you dressed down too much. Then there is a small faction, including me, who would not notice what anyone is wearing unless they were naked -- and even then, it would be a possibility of approval.

But, I think the vast majority, including me, make the effort to look nice.

I also like to think that even though I am from Southern California that I have cutting edge clothes. A little black dress that is elegant is not over the top. Also silk slacks with fabulous tops...not necessarily beaded...just fab are great. You will be fine! I am positive!!!

My daughter lives in OC and my 1st stops are South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island when I visit. Other daughter is in Palm Beach. I live in a ski resort in Winter and a lake house in Summer. Twice a year I get to do some serious shopping...Thank goodness my girls pick great places to live!!

Just got off Insigna yesterday and while I know it was a Holiday Cruise with many families, I have to say how disappointed we were with the casualness of the attire worn in the Grand Dinning room. More people look like they were going out for pizza than having dinner at a fine restaurant. And if they have a "No Jeans" rule, it was not enforced!

Sorry to hear that

I may wear jeans in the daytime on cold weather cruises but never to the dinner dining venues (except the Terrace where they are permitted)

I think it has become just TOO casual in many areas of life these days ...such a shame people cannot put on a nice outfit for dinner :(

JMO

Lyn

I do have shorts ,tops ,hats ,sunscreen,mosquitoe repellent or skin so soft ,comfy sandals or flip flops .....

My suitcase is too heavy ...not sure what I should pull out ...so right now

im just staring at it ...useless action

I find my toiletries are big andbulky but smaller sizes are non existant so Ihave some pretty big containers and not easy to pour elsewhere

How many dresses,shorts. Slacks etc does one take for 22 days

Edited by mmemichele

I do have shorts ,tops ,hats ,sunscreen,mosquitoe repellent or skin so soft ,comfy sandals or flip flops .....

I find my toiletries are big andbulky but smaller sizes are non existant so Ihave some pretty big containers and not easy to pour elsewhere

Do you have a nice DH like I do that helps to lighten the load?..LOL!! My 3 to his 1...

I take

3 daytime casual slacks

3 dress slacks for evening

3 -4 tops for each

1 skirt for evenings

2 pr shorts for summer weather ports

bathing suit & cover up

cardigan

2 night shirts

the usual under garments

You can buy small 3oz containers to port stuff into

Oceania supplies shampoo, conditioner, shower gel soap so I do not pack those

I also do laundry & do not mind wearing the same clothes more than once

good luck

Hmm, 22 days...I would persevere and find smaller-sized toiletries or just eliminate them--they do have nice shampoo, etc. supplied. Dump an outfit or two, jewellery and accessories can change your look, especially if we're talking "little black dress". For shorts or capris, I'd say 3 pairs total. Two bathing suits is handy to have.

For a ten-day cruise, plus a 3-day pre-cruise and several days in L.A., I travelled with a roll-aboard only, no checked luggage. There is laundry and dry-cleaning on board, you know.

I can guarantee you that when you come home, there will be clothes that you did not wear!