what if you have to cancel a free cruise

cruzn buckeye

If you book a pack n play cruise, which is basically free, except for port charges, and something comes up that you have cancel... is all you lose the total paid with port and taxes or will they charge the full amount of the cruise had it been paying a regular price ?

If you book a pack n play cruise, which is basically free, except for port charges, and something comes up that you have cancel... is all you lose the total paid with port and taxes or will they charge the full amount of the cruise had it been paying a regular price ?

for ncl 'free' CAS cruises, I was told i'll get back the taxes but will lose the port fees.

I had a few no shows on the 2 nighter and I got back govt taxes $54.65 out of $92.95 paid. I lost 32.30 in port charges.

I think if you cancel beforehand they may refund you. Are you within final payment?

I just got the offers... just wondering how this worked. I want to book...

also, what about insurance... do you base it on the total paid of say 150 including port charges??

I just got the offers... just wondering how this worked. I want to book...

also, what about insurance... do you base it on the total paid of say 150 including port charges??

if u have health insurance, don't bother w/ncl insurance.

if u really want to get insurance, go 3rd party. it's cheaper and covers more.

and if u want to book, then book today.

it's the last day of their Black Fri obc special.

$25 obc for inside, $30 for oceanview, $50 for balcony.

but these offers are the standard offers that appear every other week.

sometimes they have a really good offer like $100 obc for ANY room. (this was a couple weeks ago.)

Edited by fstuff1

if u have health insurance, don't bother w/ncl insurance.

if u really want to get insurance, go 3rd party. it's cheaper and covers more.

and if u want to book, then book today.

it's the last day of their Black Fri obc special.

$25 obc for inside, $30 for oceanview, $50 for balcony.

but these offers are the standard offers that appear every other week.

sometimes they have a really good offer like $100 obc for ANY room. (this was a couple weeks ago.)

actually, i am booking with Carnival and it is a free cruise offer.. But thank you anyway...:)

Edited by cruzn buckeye

Your contract says if you cancel a free cruise, they have the right to charge you the full rack rate. I haven't heard of them doing that, but it's possible. My PVP said if I cancel my free cruise for any reason, I would lose everything paid (port fees, taxes, upgrade fees) except any travel insurance premium. If I have travel insurance and cancel, they said the only refund would be actual out of pocket expenses minus the travel insurance premium. That was based on the actual booking code. Different booking codes have different restrictions, so just ask the promotions department was the cancellation policy is for your code.

Your contract says if you cancel a free cruise, they have the right to charge you the full rack rate. I haven't heard of them doing that, but it's possible. My PVP said if I cancel my free cruise for any reason, I would lose everything paid (port fees, taxes, upgrade fees) except any travel insurance premium. If I have travel insurance and cancel, they said the only refund would be actual out of pocket expenses minus the travel insurance premium. That was based on the actual booking code. Different booking codes have different restrictions, so just ask the promotions department was the cancellation policy is for your code.

Full rack rate? Ouch... that could be pretty steep as the brochure rates are always much higher that the actual cost that you can cruise. I have always told friends that if they look at the brocures, don't let the prices scare them. Cal CCL and see what the price is.

I think I will give them a call. I have until tomorrow to book. And the reason I am hesitant is that we don't pick up our vacation days until the beginning of the year. And then, I need to make sure that I will be able to take those days for a cruise off, and that nothing conflicts with it. So, If i go ahead and book, and then can't get the time off for some reason or other, I would have to cancel. Maybe I will just pass this time and hope for some new offers after the beginning of the year. I prefer cruising in the fall, and sometimes in the spring. These are the first pack and play offers I have gotten, i would hate to pass them up and not get any more offers like this. I got premier offers a while back, and haven't gotten any more.

I canceled one with from a $25 offer 2 weeks out and only forfeited the $25 the port charges and prepaid tips were credited to my account for a future cruise which I will be using this week. I think that within a one week window you may still be liable for the port fees and some taxes, it has to do with being on the ship's manifest when it is cleared for departure.

The cruise company wants you to cone back. If the ship is not full it would not help them to charge you a full rate and then lose you as a customer. If you are traveling peak season they may be apt to charge since an empty cabin that could have been sold represents lots of lost revenue.

Edited by totalee
addition