Miami after cruise help

pianoplayerla

I'm sure "somewhere" this has been covered, but the hubs is stressing me out right now. :mad: We have a 6:30p.m. flight after our January cruise, so we have quite a bit of time to 'kill' before we have to be at the airport. Any suggestions what we can do to fill this time slot and what to do with our luggage, as well. I do have the option of a car rental for the day and I'm not opposed to that if that would be the 'best' thing to do.

Thank you all in advance for any advice/suggestions you may have!!

I am assuming that you are flying from MIA? :confused:

You could taxi to MIA ($25+tip), pay to store your bags there (most airlines will not accept checked bags any ealrier than 4 hours prior to departure :() and then catch the Airport Flyer bus ($2.65 each) to South Beach - shopping, people watching, lunch, drinks, beach, art galleries, etc. Catch the bus back to MIA in the afternoon and check in for your flight.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus-airport-flyer.asp

Your other option is a day room at a hotel - www.between9and5.com is one source for hotels offering day rooms. Several reports on this board that the Sofitel near MIA often comes up - taxi to the hotel (about $25+) and enjoy the pool, nap, lunch, drinks, etc. and then catch the hotel shuttle to MIA. A hotel in SB would be better but demand in January will likely make this difficult.

Yes, we are flying from MIA. Thanks guys for your suggestions. I think I can probably make one of these options work.

Do either of you know about the car rental close to the Port of Miami?? I have an Avis coupon I could use for rental that day, "if" I could return the car at the airport.

There is an Avis location in downtown Miami not too far from POM - about a $12-13 cab ride.

The Avis location at MIA does not offer a free shuttle from POM - National, Alamo & Thrifty do.

What John says. We took a cab to Sixt downtown (near the Intercontinental hotel), a less crowded with cruisers rental after embarkation of multiple ships and rented a oneway to get to Dolphin Mall (30 min), a massive mall, shop a bit and back to MIA (15 min) for our afternoon flight. And yes had to repack after shopping those outlet stores.. ;)

And don't be stressed, a later flight is the way to end your vacation. Enjoy Miami!