Fee for cancelling cruise w/ TA

hollon

Does anyone know the penalty for cancelling a cruise w/ a popular TA advertised here on CC - on their website it says 50.00pp, which would mean I lose 200.00, unless I book another cruise. any ideas -

Ask if they will do a transfer to a different booking instead of treating it as a cancellation.

I'm of the school that anything that is a "fee" is basically added on to a base price and therefore is negotiable and/or reversible. I often ask to have fees removed without any problem

good luck

Does anyone know the penalty for cancelling a cruise w/ a popular TA advertised here on CC - on their website it says 50.00pp, which would mean I lose 200.00, unless I book another cruise. any ideas -

That is cheap, as I did not see the super 'fine print' from the TA I used which is $150 p/p in the event of any cancellation.

Needless to say, I will NOT be using them again, purely from the point that it was not discussed with me before plunking down the cash. I understand the need, to some degree, to charge something in case of a cancellation, but to not fully disclose at point/time of purchase is just not right. In my case it was almost 1/3 of the cruise price, which would not be covered by travel insurance, I do not think.

good luck..

Can you change the reservation rather than cancel?

My real advice is next time use a TA that does not charge for cancellations.

good luck

M

My TA identifies up front a $50 per for a 7 day cruise. However, this is offset by the various bag of goodies identified in the contract. I did not use them for 3 balcony cabins for the upcoming Oasis cruise. I appealed to them that there were 3 small children involved and anything can happen since the cruise is for 2016. I was told no promises and will discuss when it happens. Bottom line, I decided to book with RCL directly because of the 6 month open window..

My TA identifies up front a $50 per for a 7 day cruise. However, this is offset by the various bag of goodies identified in the contract. I did not use them for 3 balcony cabins for the upcoming Oasis cruise. I appealed to them that there were 3 small children involved and anything can happen since the cruise is for 2016. I was told no promises and will discuss when it happens. Bottom line, I decided to book with RCL directly because of the 6 month open window..

It is good that you looked at the cost and goodies. My TA give us a cabin on-board credit based on the price of the cruise. The total amount of goodies (in my case - OBC) might not be as many goodies as some large box agencies but I have flexibility. We change our plans often, can usually transfer a booking and luckily have only had to cancel a few times.

M

It is good that you looked at the cost and goodies. My TA give us a cabin on-board credit based on the price of the cruise. The total amount of goodies (in my case - OBC) might not be as many goodies as some large box agencies but I have flexibility. We change our plans often, can usually transfer a booking and luckily have only had to cancel a few times.

M

When it's me and my better half, it's almost a guarantee that we'll make the booked cruise and enjoy the related benefits. In my case there are small children involved and it would set me back $450.

I've never heard of a TA charging a Booking Fee ... have any of the rest of you?

LuLu

Yes, I've seen a couple that charge a $25 "processing" fee to book...at which time I hit the back button...to me, the obc isn't worth paying extra to book

I've never heard of a TA charging a Booking Fee ... have any of the rest of you?

LuLu

I have, and I would never use them. They get their commissions through the cruise lines. That seems pretty petty of them to charge the customer for something they can do themselves.

I used a large on line agency to book a cruise during the bogo sale, any change resulted in a $100 per person charge. I will not use them again even though they do give some nice perks. Not worth the money

Our very first cruise we booked through a travel agent who was the girlfriend of a friend I worked with. The total came out more then was were quoted by Royal Caribbean, then we found out about the booking fees. Being naive I kinda said if I knew that I would have booked directly through Royal Caribbean. She gave us her fee back as a gift for our cruise.

I found that you can call RCCL 24 hours a day and book a cruise and discuss discounts and I call back at times to compare sails and have money credited back. I have also cancelled several cruises due to changes in plans or schedule, no fee is applied as long as it is not before the final payment is due.

Nice part about booking with RCCL rep is I work nights and often call at 3 or 4 am and usually they are not busy and have had long conversations and recommendations about destinations, ports and best times of years to cruise certain cruises. I have never been rushed and always had a great experience. I will never use a travel agent or discount website to book a Royal Caribbean cruise.

I have, and I would never use them. They get their commissions through the cruise lines. That seems pretty petty of them to charge the customer for something they can do themselves.

I agree completely. Would never use them if they charge a fee. I have hit the back button many times. I'll drive across the street to get cheaper gas too. Why pay more? You are encouraging them to continue charging the fee. Once upon a time I had a TA that waived it on our first cruise, but wouldn't waive it a month later on our next cruise. I didn't book with her and she had done all the work already. It was a matter of just hitting the button. She lost a good customer over $25 and I went out and found an even better TA who gives me OBC and treats me great!

Are we now allowed to discuss specific TAs on these boards? I thought it was forbidden to name a TA..

Well, technically the OP did not identify a specific agency by name (even though you might be able to deduce who they are talking about), so I think that post (and all responses thus far) are probably within the community guidelines.

As to the topic, our TA does not charge booking or cancellation fees.

Edited by joepeka

The online TA I book with the most does not charge booking fees or cancellation fees.

It is sometimes negotiable with other TAs if done beforehand. I booked with a popular online TA once whose name starts with O and they wanted a cancellation fee but agreed not to charge one when I protested and they sent me an email stating that the cancellation fee was waived.

If it was specified in the booking terms you are out $200 unless, as some suggested, you can book another cruise. Consider it tuition in the College of Experience in Life.

I don't know how much service the TA gave you but they are entitled to compensation for their labors. They did make the arrangements (and will have to unmake the arrangements) whether you sail or not.

If it was specified in the booking terms you are out $200 unless, as some suggested, you can book another cruise. Consider it tuition in the College of Experience in Life.

I don't know how much service the TA gave you but they are entitled to compensation for their labors. They did make the arrangements (and will have to unmake the arrangements) whether you sail or not.

I agree and have no problem with a small cancel/rebooking fee.

There are a lot of online agencies that charge the $25 processing fee and they are all related to the same parent company. You find a lot of airlines using this same parent company for their cruise site and one of their biggest perks is no deposit as long as the cruise is at least 110 days out. We used one of these for one of our cruises and got all price drops and moved cabins twice with no fees as well as the no deposit. So for us it saved me plunking down $1000 deposit and $100 obc for a $50 service fee (2 cabins)

Sent from my iPad using Forums