sugar free ice cream

cruiser 8315

Can anyone tell me the nutritional data for Princess sugar free ice cream? I need to know total carbohydrates, sugar, protein, etc.:)
I've never seen the nutritional information posted on the menu. Being sugar-free, there is no sugar. :)

on our last cruise I was it was sugar free. The next day I was told it was gluten free for the same item. My blood sugar went up.

On my last cruise, we had horrible, horrible french onion soup.

It was just broth and bread. No onions in the bowl, no melted

cheese on top.

Pablo: this soup is just bread.

Waiter: but it's gluten free!

Palbo: Really?

Waiter: No, not really.

I think if you want gluten free, it's gluten free for you!

On my last cruise, we had horrible, horrible french onion soup.

It was just broth and bread. No onions in the bowl, no melted

cheese on top.

Pablo: this soup is just bread.

Waiter: but it's gluten free!

Palbo: Really?

Waiter: No, not really.

I think if you want gluten free, it's gluten free for you!

What does this have to do with "Ice cream" ??

Cato :)

I've never seen the nutritional information posted on the menu. Being sugar-free, there is no sugar. :)

The rarity "Pam is wrong:

I had this discussion with head waiter on my recent cruise. Despite what the menu say, it is NOT SUGAR FREE. I am diabetic and know. Milk itself has sugar-be it natural. It is no sugar added....just look at the nutritional label at your favorite grocery store. That is why in the US it is labelled 'no sugar added' --Truth in labeling would prohibit calling it sugar free,

The "sugar free" ice cream, being ice cream is actually "no sugar ADDED." Being ice cream, made with a milk product, it has lactose. You may do better on their sorbets. They have sugar in them generally, but no lactose. Try one and see.

Other than that, Princess has a "sugar free dessert" of the day in the dining room, and they are usually pretty darn good. They also have a different sugar free dessert at the International Cafe and also a gluten free one (sometimes the same one, but not always). In the buffet, if you don't see anything sugar free, just ask and they will bring you a sugar free mousse, sometimes chocolate, sometimes strawberry. Both are good. When we go to the Crown Grill my sister tells the waiter as soon as we are seated in case he has to send somebody (or go himself), and they always have a sugar free dessert for her.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

M.

Besides the natural sugar in milk (lactose), an artificial sweetener may be added. If the sweetener used was a sugar alcohol, it is known that the sugar alcohols will affect blood sugar because of the way the body metabolizes the sugar alcohols.

Just some FYI facts about lactose: It is a polysaccharide which is this case means two sugars linked together. Some people lack the enzyme necessary to break the lactose ( lactose intolerance) apart into its two more digestible sugars. Milk products labeled lactose free are not sugar free. It just means the lactose has already been treated and the product now contains the more easily digested sugar components. As a result, the lactose free products will shoot the blood sugar up as it enters the blood stream quicker.

Lactose is either non-existent or barely present in cream. If the ice cream is actually made from cream, the sugar load from the cream will be extremely low. It is the added sugar that causes the problem.

The rarity "Pam is wrong:

I had this discussion with head waiter on my recent cruise. Despite what the menu say, it is NOT SUGAR FREE. I am diabetic and know. Milk itself has sugar-be it natural. It is no sugar added....just look at the nutritional label at your favorite grocery store. That is why in the US it is labelled 'no sugar added' --Truth in labeling would prohibit calling it sugar free,

Thanks for the correction. :)

Can anyone tell me the nutritional data for Princess sugar free ice cream? I need to know total carbohydrates, sugar, protein, etc.:)

Go for the thickened cream if you are worried about carbs...it's just as nice and has very low carbs :)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

My husband is a type 1 Diabetic. This is our first cruise on Princess. We will be cruising in a week. Does Princess supply any information about the menu choices. Calorie Count, Carbs, Sugars, etc. My husband is very strict about his diet, does not drink alcohol, low carbs, no desserts. Is there anything the waiter can give us?:confused:

I'm Type 2...but have it pretty much in check, my A1C running right around 6 for several years now...thanks to both medication and extreme changes to my diet. My doctor says I can eat almost anything...in moderation...but to keep away, for the most part, from heavy concentrations of sugar...

So, I pretty much stay away from the majority of the desserts...and usually eat the NO SUGAR ADDED Ice Cream for dessert...The waiters will actually call it "sugar free", but I know better...If anyone really made "sugar free" ice cream, I would have found it already...

At home, I usually buy the Dreyer's No Sugar Added Ice Creams...(In the East, due to some trademark issues, they go by the name "Edy's")...They're pretty good...

Here is the nutritional info for their Mnt Chocolate Chip flavor:

Ingredients

non-fat milk, cream, chocolaty chips (lactitol*, coconut oil, cocoa processed with alkali, bitter chocolate, cocoa, soybean oil, soy lecithin, natural flavor, sucralose (splenda® brand)), maltitol syrup*, maltodextrin, polydextrose*, glycerin, milk minerals concentrate, cellulose gum, natural flavor, mono and diglycerides, salt, yellow #5, sorbitol*, guar gum, sucralose (splenda® brand), blue #1, carrageenan, citric acid, vitamin a palmitate, acesulfame potassium * sensitive individuals may experience a laxative effect from excess consumption of this ingredient.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1/2 Cup

Calories 120

Calories from Fat 40

Total Fat 4.5(g)

Saturated Fat 3(g)

Trans Fat 0(g)

Cholesterol 10(mg)

Sodium 65(mg)

Total Carbohydrates 15(g)

Dietary Fiber 2(g)

Sugars 3(g)

Protein 3(g)

Calcium 10% DV

Vitamin A 6% DV

Vitamin C 0% DV

Iron 0% DV

Does not Contain Nuts Kosher Light No Sugar Added

I sort of assume that the ice cream served on the ship is likely very similar in composition...

3 grams of sugar per scoop is something I can deal with...though what I can take is not necessarily the same for everyone...

On Princess, they seem to have only three flavors of No Sugar Added: Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry...On my recent 3-night Golden cruise, they never had the Chocolate available...but the vanilla was pretty good...I couldn't tell it wasn't a regular, sugar-filled vanilla...

BTW, one of the things I stopped doing at home was drinking milk...Nonfat milk contains 22 grams of sugar per 8 ounce glass!

I started buying Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla instead...now I'm totally used to it--and ZERO sugar...

Edited by Bruin Steve

If you are looking for a low-carb dessert, it's unlikely you'll find something (other than maybe berries with unsweetened cream) that would work for you. DH is type 2 and the sugar free/no sugar added desserts he's had have been tasty, but any kind of cake or pie with have flour or cornstarch or other carby thing in them. The ice cream is a good bet, but still not low carb if you are trying to do an Atkins-type diet.

My husband is a type 1 Diabetic. This is our first cruise on Princess. We will be cruising in a week. Does Princess supply any information about the menu choices. Calorie Count, Carbs, Sugars, etc. My husband is very strict about his diet, does not drink alcohol, low carbs, no desserts. Is there anything the waiter can give us?:confused:

No, nothing like that