Do you exercise while crusing?

kandj05

Does keeping my fork moving count?

Stairs always. Plus "she who must be obeyed" insists on jogging 5 (or walking 10) laps of the track, twice a day.

Bet she changes her mind when we hit the Oasis (1 lap=.46 miles !). :eek:

She avoids the gym itself, ever since our first Alaska cruise. We're up there doing our thing. She's on the recument bike. I'm maintaining a slow, but steady. pace on the treadmill. Then the steward came in and called, "Mr (Calgon)? Mr (Calgon)?"

I waved him over, and he placed the tray with my steak sandwich, onion rings and milkshake on the console and cross bar (it fit perfectly). :D

I heard an, "Oh, My, God" and she immediately left the gym . . .

We start by making little strides.

We always use the stairs except on previous formal nights.

Last two years we had a CL on Allure (17th. deck).

Also we walked the track about 5 laps twice a day.

Its a start, we dont lose, but havent gained weight yet.

Mind you , we do not do deserts every night, and watch our calorie intake.

Sea Ya

I always use the stairs to but have a CL suite on Allure in May 31 and will be interesting to see how my stair walking goes to 17th floor. Looking forward to the CL suite we have 1754 which ones did you have? :)

With each cruise I'm getting better about following through on my brave promises of hitting the treadmill. Can't do the jogging track, too breezy and busy.

I'm also a stairs fiend but DW would take an elevator up or down a floor. So that generally means any stair fiending is done alone, but at any possible occasion except when wearing dress shoes... and then downstairs only.

I used to go with the "oh, we'll do plenty of walking on the trip." philosophy, but the home scale has been less angry with me the more I visited the treadmill.

I do on sea days.

Last time on Oasis I also decided to earn a new FitBit badge so I took extra stairs to get to 100 floors in a day. I beat that record during my last San Fran trip (125 floors, loooong day of walking San Fran hills). I have yet to decide if I'll go for 150 floors on Oasis this January.

No way I'll set daily step records on a cruise ship (current high 55,000 in a single day), those I break at work conferences or Walt Disney World.

I am just curious who exercises while on a cruise. We have never done it thus far. But we have changed our lifestyle since Jan. 2014 so we will definitely be hitting the gym on the Panama Canal cruise. What workout do you do?

I try to replicate the workout I do at home in the gym....free weights, stretching, ab workout on machines and then some treadmill -- every other day if possible....we use the stairs as much as possible and take advantage of those dance activities to counter all the food we will eat...goal -- no weight gain. It works.

I like to do a lot of walking on the ship and at the ports. I also bring my running cklothes to do a morning run on the ship's track (Oasis-class is my favorite). On the maiden Quantum of the Seas transatlantic I ran a 10K so that I can say I did one while on the Atlantic Ocean. :D

10K...good for you!!!

I am the opposite of most people ... we only exercise on cruise ships. The first time ever in a gym was on Princess. :eek:

Now we love it and have all our gear ready when we start to pack. We go first thing in the morning before the crowds and do the treadmill, bike and aerobic/zumba classes. We almost always take the stairs and walk daily on the promenade.

It feels so energizing and we actually eat LESS because of it.

Now if only I could keep it up at home. :o

I am the opposite of most people ... we only exercise on cruise ships. The first time ever in a gym was on Princess. :eek:

Now we love it and have all our gear ready when we start to pack. We go first thing in the morning before the crowds and do the treadmill, bike and aerobic/zumba classes. We almost always take the stairs and walk daily on the promenade.

It feels so energizing and we actually eat LESS because of it.

Now if only I could keep it up at home. :o

So why can't you exercise at home?

My advice is for those who don't regularly work out, but may be used as a guide motivator for those wanting to give it a try:

Pack work gear - you definitely won't work out if you have to do it in your formal night attire.

I made the mistake of not packing workout gear for a short cruise on the Quantum recently. I thought there would be too much, with exploring, and all of the new activities on this great ship, that I wouldn't have time to fit in a work out. I found myself walking by the gorgeous Quantum workout facility and wistfully wishing I could partake...

Also if you have to fly to a cruise port like we do for every cruise, suitcase space is very valuable. If you commit to packing your gear, you are more likely to commit to a workout.

I applaud you die-hard exercisers who would never miss a work out day. I'm not one of you, I often wish I was but can't always make it a priority.

I find there is actually time on a ship to focus on me - sea days are the easiest to start with. Having time to do things for myself is yet one more reason cruising is the very best vacation ever!

I also take the stairs whenever possible, and do a minimum of two walking laps around the top deck track each evening after dinner.

I've now been on 4 cruises and have never come back heavier than pre-cruise weight. For one who has battled weight their entire adult life, this is no easy feat.

Veronica

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I sometimes look to see where the gym is so I can avoid that area of the ship. I have just retired so I am going to gym a few days a week but not when on vacation. We just got back from a resort that is supposed to have a nice gym and we talked several times that we need to that and never even walked into the place .

I am just curious who exercises while on a cruise. We have never done it thus far. But we have changed our lifestyle since Jan. 2014 so we will definitely be hitting the gym on the Panama Canal cruise. What workout do you do?

We use the treadmills and the bikes mostly. Also, remember to use the stairs as much as possible. For us they are an extension of the Gym.;)

Yes we workout every day. We always take the stairs and do a lot of

walking in ports.

I too am a gym rat and workout a minimum of 2 hours every day. Half of that

time is running the other half using weights, the elliptical and the stairclimber.

Do aerobics at home with running if don't go to the gym that day.

Not working out makes me feel very blah ! Like working up a good sweat !!

I can exercise in Caribbean cruises, early in the morning before the gym is packed. European cruises are different for us, usually on those itineraries we go to 7 or 8 hrs tours and have to hurry back to the ship to go to dinner. No time for the gym, only on sea days. ;)

I exercise on every type of vacation. One of my requirements when booking a hotel is that it have a gym. When we've rented a house I've needed a gym nearby that allowed weekly memberships. On cruise ships I hit the gym and often take classes like spin and then do weights.

Whatever I do besides my normal exercise routine helps offset the extra calories I eat/drink. I usually come home actually down a few lbs.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week but for some reason I just can't get into it on the ship. I've tried but to me I always seem like I'm a little off balance if I try the treadmill and I can't get into ellipticals. Maybe I'll try some free weights in March on the Indy.

Other than that, I do exercise my appetite quite well on cruises. :D

Edited by nbsjcruiser

As someone who works out 5 times a week I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of the fact that we never even saw the gym on our recent Quantum cruise. I even had some workout videos on my Kindle and I didn't do any of them!!

I managed a couple of Zumba classes in the Music Hall and used the stairs lots but that's about it.

I think it's maybe because on past cruises our whole morning on sea days has been taken up by working out as I always get really sweaty so then I have to shower,wash and dry my hair and sort myself out before going for a late breakfast. Half the day revolved round going to the gym so it made a nice change to be free of all that!:D

We do.

For sea days, spinning class + 45min of elliptical for me, and + 6 miles on the track for DW.

Port days- most of the ports we've been to, so we run to basically sight see.

It's how we avoid gaining much weight on a cruise. And it's what we do at home.

The only tough thing is that I can't really deal with the heat well- so when the days get to +85, I really struggle. Those days I'll be lucky to do 6 miles at a port.

Last cruise I didn't...I figured running 13.1 miles the morning of embarking was good enough. Next cruise I'm doing backwards - half marathon on the tail end - so I'll have a few short runs during the week and yoga to stay loose. And carb loading. :D

One of the reasons we have been able to keep cruising is because of the running track and gym. DD is a competitive long distance runner so we are able to take a family vacation during spring break and she can keep training. We also get off the ship the minute after it is cleared in each port, go for a long run, come back on board and start our day. Great way to explore the ports. I research safe running trails before we go.