What's HAL's niche?

voyageur9

I like HAL just fine the way she is. I started cruising in 2007 so got in on the tail end of the cuts. I still love the line and will continue to cruise it. I don't feel especially old (I'm 64) or especially young when cruising. I do short trips because we don't have the moola for longer cruises. I don't want a destination ship at all. although the new ship looks bigger it looks beautiful and really elegant.

While there are some technology enhancements where HAL lags behind, I think it's great they introduced the 'dive-in' and the BB King Blues club - both which seem to well received by a variety of age groups and interests.....

Agree with this point! There were many older cruisers dancing alongside younger cruisers to the rhythms of the BB King band. This is a great move on HAL's part to help broaden their appeal thru music (without alienating their current base) and be successful in the years to come.

"Old people problem"? :eek:

Any business that considers this "old" person a "problem" doesn't need my business---or my money. At my age, financial responsibilities are at a minimum, and discretionary spending is at a maximum.

Come and get it!!! :D

The "old people problem" doesn't mean that current clientele are somehow a problem or not wanted; it means HAL is having a hard time bringing in younger families or empty-nesters from sister lines such as Carnival or Princess.

The HAL niche, in my opinion, is mid-priced/premium/conservative style cruising.

I am not sure of the economics of cruise ships, but I choose HAL because I really enjoy the smaller ships. Having said that, at one time I was interested in doing a Prisendam ship until I started reading about the common mechanical issues.

I like the ships of the size of Maasdam but am not sure it is economically feasible. I will pay more to be on a smaller ship. Tried Nieuw Amsterdam and I could tolerate it, but it was bigger than I would prefer. HAL is still my favorite line for the small extras that they do to make cruising enjoyable.

As for the older group, more and more people are of retirement age. We have the ability to take longer itineraries that HAL offers. Carnival just came out with a splashy announcement of 11-14 day cruises!!! Yea!!! HAL does these constantly. We older cruisers (I am only 56) do not need the rock walls, flowriders, parachute towers, rope courses, etc. Sure, some older folks will like them, but give us an interesting blend of history, port lectures, culinary classes, enrichment courses and great individual service and I think they will win over the other lines.

As for the older group, more and more people are of retirement age. We have the ability to take longer itineraries that HAL offers. Carnival just came out with a splashy announcement of 11-14 day cruises!!! Yea!!! HAL does these constantly. We older cruisers (I am only 56) do not need the rock walls, flowriders, parachute towers, rope courses, etc. Sure, some older folks will like them, but give us an interesting blend of history, port lectures, culinary classes, enrichment courses and great individual service and I think they will win over the other lines.

First, I don't believe anyone is talking about rock walls and flowriders for HAL. That's a red herring that always gets tossed out with no relevance whatsoever to the things people want to see HAL improve upon.

It seems to me that many folks who are recent retirees or soon-to-be retirees are used to a certain level of travel already -- be it through business travel or just the fact that travel is much more common now. They want to find at least the same level of amenities that they are used to; little touches that make travel more pleasant and smooth. HAL has a good start with their nice bedding and their (in general) larger cabins but they need to do more. Offering more in-cabin interactive/entertainment options, a real fine-dining restaurant, better wine selection, and perhaps smaller and more varied entertainment venues (e.g., a jazz or blues club, a comedy club, etc) would be a good start.

I completely agree that HAL competes best in the upper-mid level cruising group and their best feature is their itineraries. However, even among the retired group there are only so many retirees who are willing -- or financially able -- to take 30-day cruises. HAL has how many ships and berths to fill every week? They have to compete for passengers with other upper-mid level cruise lines that have spent some significant $$ on new ships.

I see myself as the type of passenger who, once retired, could potentially be a 30-day cruiser or longer. But -- and this is a big but -- I can't imagine anything worse than spending 30 days on a ship dealing with air conditioning, plumbing, or other issues that seem to be more frequently reported on HAL's board than on any of their competitor lines. HAL needs to fix this problem, literally and figuratively.

I find it very difficult to give an opinion on this. I really don't think HAL has a niche. I do think they are very good at offering extended (30+ day) cruises that visit very exotic ports, but I can't say that's a niche when its not the majority of their fleet doing it. That would be like labeling Celebrity with an exotic niche based on their one Xpedition ship.

I guess if I had to come up with something, it would be that HAL is the cruise line for older cruisers.

First, I don't believe anyone is talking about rock walls and flowriders for HAL. That's a red herring that always gets tossed out with no relevance whatsoever to the things people want to see HAL improve upon.

I believe the relevance of the toys is that these are items designed to attract a younger clientele (families with kids and 20/30/40 somethings). The absence of toys provides evidence that HAL is consciously attempting to eliminate a calculated segment of the market and thus being better positioned to focus on a more mature/old/aged clientele.

It's the "mature" and often retired crowd that book and pay for cruises off the spring and summer school breaks.

That allows the lines to have as many ships at as many different ports as they do. They couldn't afford to operate empty the other 3/4 of the year.:rolleyes:

We are valuable.

Summersigh <--- mature and retired

Edited by summersigh