What time to get to the port Sydney

Janderra

Hi

I am a newbie on this site. I did think I posted this last night but cant find it.

We are sailing 19/12 Ooosterdam out of Sydney (White Bay). Information says boarding sailing at 5.00 (thought itinerary says 4.00pm)

I have printed off the express boarding pass, the luggage tags etc.

Not sure how early we should arrive at the Port at check-in so we are not standing in line for hours, or miss sailing. 1hr or more or does everyone else have the same idea.

We drop the luggage off first is that right.

2nd question. Is there anywhere open for lunch or food if we board the ship at 2 or later. Otherwise we will need to try and have early lunch before we go to the Port.

Sorry if this has appeared before, but I can not find my post anywhere. We leave for Sydney in a couple of days so trying to get organised

Janderra

Hi there,

I would strongly suggest, despite the risk of queues,that you get to Terminal no later than the check-in time shown on your documentation.

So many people tend to queue and hope to check in much earlier than the appointed time, so avoiding the crowds is very difficult to predict, whichever way you play it.

(We debarked Oosterdam in Sydney last Friday 5th Dec, just on 9 am and some folk were already there, waiting in line for the check-in to open.

The Lido tends to operate an extended Lunchtime on Embarkation day, so pretty sure you'll find some thing to eat on the day.

On our recent cruise, (scheduled to depart at 4.00pm,) the Lido was open for bistro lunch from: 11.30am-3.00pm, with Pizza and Pasta available 11.30am-11.30pm.

Dive in was open for Burgers & Hot dogs etc from 11.30am-3.00pm & 4.00pm-5.30pm.

I'm assuming the hours closure was for the Muster Drill exercise, where everyone has to attend.

This is usually half an hour before scheduled departure!

I hope this little bit of info helps your decision making. Have a great trip!

Peter.

Hi

Thank you for reply. So you said you checked in at 9.00am for a 4.00pm sailing, or am I reading that wrong.

I would like to check in as soon as I possibly can, as we need to check out the hotel at 10.00

Regards

Janderra

No reason to check in at 9am, in fact check in probably won't be functioning by that. They may not accept bags prior to about 10.

I would say be there by noon. Service in the Lido starts at about 11:30, but after 2pm, things wind down for food. The Dive-in and Taco Bar will be open. Sounds like you are not a Mariner (repeat customer on HAL), so the MDR won't be open to you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We boarded the Volendam at the White Bay Terminal in October. Checked out of the hotel at 10am taxied to White Bay, the journey took about 15 minutes from the central city, so were at the terminal at 1030, many passengers were already checking in. Took our luggage to the drop off point(to the right of the entry door), we filled in the health questionnaire, then inside the terminal filled in the Australian departure card and joined the line to check in for the cruise.

The boarding call, was at 1130, so we did not have to wait long in the seating area.

It is a bit different for us boarding in Sydney because we live there, but we usually aim to get to the ship around 11 am or a bit after. I think we've always been able to board by midday, except perhaps in Vancouver where I seem to remember it taking a long time because we were very much the 'foreigners'. Boarding at that time gives you plenty of time for lunch, explore the ship and unpack before sailaway.

Ozcruizer

Hi

Thank you for reply. So you said you checked in at 9.00am for a 4.00pm sailing, or am I reading that wrong.

I would like to check in as soon as I possibly can, as we need to check out the hotel at 10.00

Regards

Janderra

Respectfully, and in your own words, you are reading that wrong!

Here is what I wrote:

(We debarked Oosterdam in Sydney last Friday 5th Dec, just on 9 am and some folk were already there, waiting in line for the check-in to open.)

Thus, we left or got off the ship at 9 am, and that other people were already waiting and queuing to join the ship for the next cruise, scheduled to leave at 4pm.

Have a great cruise!

Peter.

PS. Given our very recent (poor) experiences of the still unfinished renovations at the OPT, I sincerely believe that the newer 'White Bay' facility, currently has to be the much better option for those cruise ships that can pass under Sydney's iconic Harbour Bridge.

Edited by Citizenship