Emerald - Bayport

SLCfirsttimer

Returned yesterday from our cruise on the Emerald out of Houston and happy to report that there were no weather related delays either coming in or going out. I found the terminal to be very nice, from the time we entered the building to the time we were on the ship was no more than 20 minutes, very fast and efficient.

Getting off the ship also went fairly smoothly, we were about 10 minutes behind our scheduled time to leave, nothing worth worrying about. The customs line moved quickly.

Only real problem we encountered was with the shuttle service we used, on the way to the cruise they sent the driver to the port to pick us up instead of the airport where we were waiting. On the way back from the cruise the driver was 30 minutes late (and still not there) when we decided to take a cab. Lesson was learned not to use that car service in the future.

Overall the cruise was alright, one of my sons was having some issues with motion sickness a few of the nights so that caused a bit of stress and my wife developed a sinus infection that had to be treated at the medical center.

I thought the food in the horizon court was bland and the service was lacking from the buffet servers, had several blow right past my table without offering water or coffee until I flagged them down.

The kids center was well run and my oldest couldn't wait to go each morning.

We did not leave the ship in Cozumel (wife not feeling well) or Belize (weather wasn't very good), but did go to Maya Key in Roatan and enjoyed that.

Thanks for the comments about Bayport......

I hope you let the shuttle service know how they messed up.

Not acceptable at all. :(

I did speak with the driver, will be in touch with their corporate office later today to request a refund for the second part of the service that was not delivered.

Glad your cruise out of Bayport went well. It is appearing (hopefully) that the weather problems of last year will not return. NCL cruised out of the old Houston cruise port which was further up the ship channel without any serious problems.

The weather when crossing the Gulf can be rough at times as it appears you found out. It sounds like the HC crew needs a good talking about pax relations.

Sorry to hear your son had issues and the sinus infection with your wife. I get them and they aren't fun especially on a vacation.

Glad the cruise went well.

Would you tell us the car service you used? We contracted with one for IAH to hotel, hotel to port and then port back to airport. Hopefully it is not the same company.

thanks

Thanks for the report on your cruise. I'm glad you didn't have any weather delays coming/going nor any weather conditions which eliminated a port visit. I'm hoping for similar good luck on our cruise in a couple of weeks.

I keep reading about the servers in the Horizon Court not being prompt at delivering water/coffee. On Carnival you serve yourself. Is it not that way on the Emerald Princess? Just curious for our future cruise.

On Princess, servers provide drinks to the tables. You can usually also get your own coffee or water if you don't want to wait for a server. But if you want lemonade, OJ at breakfast, skim milk, etc... you'll need to get it from a server.

We didn't have much problem getting drinks on Emerald over Thanksgiving week. There were some peak times where it might take a few minutes for someone to stop by, but I don't remember ever waiting too long.

Sorry to hear your son had issues and the sinus infection with your wife. I get them and they aren't fun especially on a vacation.

Glad the cruise went well.

Would you tell us the car service you used? We contracted with one for IAH to hotel, hotel to port and then port back to airport. Hopefully it is not the same company.

thanks

It was execucar that we made arrangements with. I think next time I will try to use Uber or Lyft instead.

Only real problem we encountered was with the shuttle service we used, on the way to the cruise they sent the driver to the port to pick us up instead of the airport where we were waiting. On the way back from the cruise the driver was 30 minutes late (and still not there) when we decided to take a cab. Lesson was learned not to use that car service in the future.

If one rents a car, is there any reasonable/close place to bayport

to drop it off?

Was on this cruise as well. This one made 5 on Princess. I've found a general question to crew members kind of sums up what we generally experienced with some of the crew. The crew members contract status/duration. I ask an apparently weary or shut down crew member how long they have left or been on their current contract and almost always it's half way or more. Makes sense when you think about it. I did notice they all started warming up (those further on along their contracts) as we neared the end of the cruise. I believe this is universal to all cruise lines as most of our crew have served on other ships as well.

If one rents a car, is there any reasonable/close place to bayport

to drop it off?

No, there's no place close to Bayport to turn in rental cars and even the closest ones are closed on Sundays when the some of the cruises, e.g. Emerald, depart.

We just got off of Emerald Princess and the food, service, and pretty much everything was great. Of course we had decent weather, and that improves one's perception of how good the cruise was.

In the Horizon Court, the servers were friendly, talkative, and usually right there when needed. It helps if you smile and are friendly to them too.

Dinner at the Crown Grill was awesome!

Emerald P Dec 7, 2014

Best way I can say it was great. Bough future cruise credits.

Ship on time, no weather problems, port was easy to get to, easy to get on and off. Parked 50 ft from door.

Great Food, Great People, Good Entertaiment, Great Service.

Do not miss a meal in the Crown Grill.