Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

We will be arriving in Copenhagen at 6:00 PM on a Sunday night and have reservations at the Wake Up Copenhagen Boregergade. There will be five of us and our luggage. What is the best way to get to the hotel?

Also, what will be the best way to get to the port on Tuesday from the hotel? We will probably have 8-9 pieces of luggage for the 5 of us.

We stayed at the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade when we were in Copenhagen in July. We used public transportation to get to the hotel from the airport. (M2 Metro from airport to Kongens Nytorv and then the short walk to the hotel). We only had one piece of luggage each, so it was easy to do. If you can handle the luggage on your own, this would be a viable way to get to the hotel because the Metro cars are large enough for both you and your luggage to easily fit.

However, getting from the Hotel to Oceankaj would be much more difficult because you have to take 2 buses and the buses can be quite cramped. There was barely enough room for us to fit with our single bags. I don't see you being able to do it with 1 - 2 bags each. It would be better to bite the bullet and take a couple of taxis. (Or as Danish Viking suggests, split up and have some take a taxi with the luggage and others ride the buses.)

Thanks Danish Viking for the wonderful advice on bus from Oceankaj . Got off Norwegian Star. 27 bust on a Sunday was so close and convenient. They ran the buses frequently. We took 27 to Noreport and was so quick and easy and reasonable. Bus took euro, Danish Krones or credit card. Thanks again.

The best but also most expensive way is to take a big taxi, a regular taxi only fits 4 and can probably not fit the luggage anyway.

Maybe your group can split up and some will take the taxi with luggage and others the metro.

Else you can take the metro to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

Google maps is a little bit weird because you can just walk across the square instead of walking around it. :eek:

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/Kongens+Nytorv+St.+(Metro)/@55.6807728,12.5822614,17z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!3m4!1m2!1d12.5863066!2d55.6811537!3s0x465253183ca0bf99:0xbfd9d487ec37a15d!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525317956e2b27:0xbcf5dbf2ceefc16b!2m2!1d12.5852281!2d55.6791848!3e2

Nyhavn is visible on the map so if you want some maritime food then its a good choice.

Bøf og Ost (steak and cheese) is one of the best places i havebeen in Copenhagen.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/B%C3%B8f+%26+Ost,+Gr%C3%A5br%C3%B8dretorv,+Copenhagen/@55.6812619,12.5777029,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525310f0548e7b:0x72ab873e6065bc22!2m2!1d12.5758684!2d55.6795588!3e2

To the pier you can use combination of bus 26 and 27.

Take bus 26 to Østerport station, Sløjfen (so not the first stop simply just called Østerport station)

At Sløjfen you take bus 27 directly to Oceankaj.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/St.+Kongensgade/@55.6833502,12.5844672,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525318f080d9a9:0xf2311e660fa7c131!2m2!1d12.5865843!2d55.68374

We stayed at the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade when we were in Copenhagen in July. We used public transportation to get to the hotel from the airport. (M2 Metro from airport to Kongens Nytorv and then the short walk to the hotel). We only had one piece of luggage each, so it was easy to do. If you can handle the luggage on your own, this would be a viable way to get to the hotel because the Metro cars are large enough for both you and your luggage to easily fit.

However, getting from the Hotel to Oceankaj would be much more difficult because you have to take 2 buses and the buses can be quite cramped. There was barely enough room for us to fit with our single bags. I don't see you being able to do it with 1 - 2 bags each. It would be better to bite the bullet and take a couple of taxis. (Or as Danish Viking suggests, split up and have some take a taxi with the luggage and others ride the buses.)

Thanks so much for all of your help! Great information and makes planning a breeze!!!

Danish Viking,

My husband & I (& possibly another couple) will be visiting Copenhagen next July 2016. Our cruise would be leaving on Sunday, July 31st. Our plan is to fly out from Houston to Copenhagen on Friday, July 29th arriving the next day. With all that said I am in the very early planning stages and need assistance with my itinerary that I currently have come up with.

The Little Mermaid

The Marble Church

Amalienborg

Nyhavn

Church of our Saviour

Christiansborg Palace

Hans Christian Anderson

Rosenborg Castle

Would love to see the Bakken Amusement Park but I think it is too far away?

Do you think seeing these sights on the day of arrival (Saturday) is doable (if not too jet lag)? Or what should I move/see to Sunday prior to boarding ship?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Ann

P.S. You are so helpful on these boards and so glad I came across it.

Danish Viking,

My husband & I (& possibly another couple) will be visiting Copenhagen next July 2016. Our cruise would be leaving on Sunday, July 31st. Our plan is to fly out from Houston to Copenhagen on Friday, July 29th arriving the next day. With all that said I am in the very early planning stages and need assistance with my itinerary that I currently have come up with.

The Little Mermaid

The Marble Church

Amalienborg

Nyhavn

Church of our Saviour

Christiansborg Palace

Hans Christian Anderson

Rosenborg Castle

Would love to see the Bakken Amusement Park but I think it is too far away?

Do you think seeing these sights on the day of arrival (Saturday) is doable (if not too jet lag)? Or what should I move/see to Sunday prior to boarding ship?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Ann

P.S. You are so helpful on these boards and so glad I came across it.

First I will say that its very ambitious but who am I to judge that. :D:D

You can add the church and the little mermad to the list to see if its worth doing.

I don´t know where you will be staying but maybe its possible to to them on the second day

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Nyhavn,+1051+Copenhagen/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads/Marmorkirken/Rosenborg+Castle/City+Hall+Square,+1599+Copenhagen/@55.6808749,12.5716926,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533cd7fbc8c3:0x42e5ef91044ebd38!2m2!1d12.5901309!2d55.6801583!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.5930201!2d55.6840588!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525318a59afc11:0xb1f38e76a7e7960b!2m2!1d12.5895742!2d55.6849827!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b7398a7ff:0x383e5e965d0b5d39!2m2!1d12.5774171!2d55.6856841!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530dfbdd1e99:0x2717b01caaedfd10!2m2!1d12.5691284!2d55.6759142!3e2

It only takes 20 minutes to get to Klampenborg where Bakken is located but it takes another 20 minutes to walk to Bakken through the deer garden so its up to you to judge if its worthwhile to use 2x40 minutes on that trip.

• 4 weeks later...
There are new routes to the US of A since my last opdate. :D

Las Vegas with Norwegian (starts this fall)

Boston with Norwegian (starts in may 2016)

Miami with Scandinavian Airlines (fall 2016)

San Francisco with Scandinavian Airlines

Los Angeles with Norwegian

Chicago with Scandinavian Airlines

Toronto with Air Canada

Washington-Dulles with Scandinavian Airlines

Fort Lauderdale with Norwegian

Orlando with Norwegian

New York-Newark with Scandinavian Airlines (2 daily departures during the summer)

New York-JFK with both Delta and Norwegian

A few corrections to this list.

The route to Newark with Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) is now double daily during the winter as well, not important to the cruise season but I like the info to be correct. :D

SAS starts to fly daily to Boston from 29th of March.

Delta starts out a week ealier than last year on their summer route to JFK, starting on the 27th of May.

Furthermore its daily instead of 5xweekly from the start, last year it was first daily from July.

Finally they will use a bigger plane, the 171 seater Boeing 757 will be replaced by the 767 with 210 seats.

Hi Danish Viking!

In the stages of planning our time in Copenhagen for next June. We will arrive on a Sunday evening and the ship leaves on Tuesday so we will really only have Monday for touring. These are the sites we'd like to see:

Rosenborg Castle

Christianborg Palance

City Hall

Nyhaven

Amlienborg Palace (changing of the guard if the Queen is in residence)

Christiania

Tivoli

I know we'll do Tivoli in the evening for dinner and maybe a couple of ride for my teenagers. Is the remainder doable in one day considering we will probably be jet lagged? There will be six of us, my parents and aunt are all in their 70's (young 70's I should add).

I'm considering both the Copenhagen Card and the HoHo bus...We will be taking the train from the airport to our hotel but will more than likely travel by taxi from the hotel to the port. I just can't decide which would make more sense. I know the Copenhagen Card will cover our transportation cost but I'm thinking if we are tired, as I know we will be, the HoHo might be the better option.

Any thoughts or suggestions you may have will be more than welcome!

Many thanks,

Natalie

• 2 weeks later...

Danish Viking,

We and 2 other couples will be arriving in Copenhagen on 11 May for a departure on the Regal Princess on 12 May 2016. My question to you is which hotel would you recommend for this one night stay that would be in close proximity to the cruise port but also have some restaurants within walking distance. We have plans to do a taxi to the port as 2 in our party have mobility issues and usually a lot of luggage. Are there large vans or a car service that would take the 6 of us? We will be returning to Copenhagen on the 23rd for 2 nights to do some touring. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel more centrally located to the sightseeing which we intend to do. We do not need high end hotels but neither are we interested in 'shared' bathrooms!

Thank you in advance for your help.

The Regal Princess will be docked at Oceankaj. There is NOTHING out there in the way of hotels or restaurants. I would just do what we did this summer and book a hotel in town. Nyhavn is a nice area with a lot of nearby restaurants. (We stayed at the Wakeup Borgergade near Nyhavn which was excellent for us, but I don't think it's the kind of hotel you are looking for.)

Hi Danish Viking!

In the stages of planning our time in Copenhagen for next June. We will arrive on a Sunday evening and the ship leaves on Tuesday so we will really only have Monday for touring. These are the sites we'd like to see:

Rosenborg Castle

Christianborg Palance

City Hall

Nyhaven

Amlienborg Palace (changing of the guard if the Queen is in residence)

Christiania

Tivoli

I know we'll do Tivoli in the evening for dinner and maybe a couple of ride for my teenagers. Is the remainder doable in one day considering we will probably be jet lagged? There will be six of us, my parents and aunt are all in their 70's (young 70's I should add).

I'm considering both the Copenhagen Card and the HoHo bus...We will be taking the train from the airport to our hotel but will more than likely travel by taxi from the hotel to the port. I just can't decide which would make more sense. I know the Copenhagen Card will cover our transportation cost but I'm thinking if we are tired, as I know we will be, the HoHo might be the better option.

Any thoughts or suggestions you may have will be more than welcome!

Many thanks,

Natalie

First I would probably start with a canal tour (if thats what you mean about Nyhavn) around 10:00

Then you can go to Amalienborg at noon.

Then walk to Rosenborg

If there is time you can walk past the round tower to Christiansborg.

Then I think you can skip Christiania and the City Hall without missing anything.

Danish Viking,

We and 2 other couples will be arriving in Copenhagen on 11 May for a departure on the Regal Princess on 12 May 2016. My question to you is which hotel would you recommend for this one night stay that would be in close proximity to the cruise port but also have some restaurants within walking distance. We have plans to do a taxi to the port as 2 in our party have mobility issues and usually a lot of luggage. Are there large vans or a car service that would take the 6 of us? We will be returning to Copenhagen on the 23rd for 2 nights to do some touring. Do you have a recommendation for a hotel more centrally located to the sightseeing which we intend to do. We do not need high end hotels but neither are we interested in 'shared' bathrooms!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I think GradUT explained it very well but just ask if there is anything.

These are the hotels that are located at the airport or by metro or train with connection to the airport.

Hilton at the airport.

Crowne Plaza and Cabinn Metro near Ørestad station

Quality Airport Hotel Dan near Kastrup station.

Park Inn By Radisson Copenhagen near Femøren station.

• 3 weeks later...

our ship leaves out of Copenhagen on August 30....we have never been to Copenhagen...and i don't know how many days earlier to come in? august 26? 27? i have no idea what to see either....or where to stay....i need a magician to put it together for me..i'm so overwhelmed...

any help is appreciated....we are close to 60....need to see all the touristy things!

many thanks,

sonja

Not DV but have very fond memories of our stay last June. We arrived 2 days before departure and stayed one day after. Allowed us to do a lot ( but not everything) without killing ourselves.

We stayed at Marriott and walked almost everywhere.

our ship leaves out of Copenhagen on August 30....we have never been to Copenhagen...and i don't know how many days earlier to come in? august 26? 27? i have no idea what to see either....or where to stay....i need a magician to put it together for me..i'm so overwhelmed...

any help is appreciated....we are close to 60....need to see all the touristy things!

many thanks,

sonja

At least 2 full days would be ideal so arriving at the 26th.

A good interesting trip could be a trip to Frederiksborg Palace in Hillerød and Kronborg Castle (Hamlets castle) in Helsingør (Elsinore).

It can be done without no hazzle by train and you can finish out in Tivoli with a nice dinner.

S-train line A to Hillerød for Fredensborg Slot

Lokaltog train to Helsingør for Kronborg and finally a Øresundstog train back to Copenhagen, Tivoli is located next door to the central station.

the two-castle tour above sounds wonderful. being a big shakespeare fan, i must see elsinor! i think you have just planned one of our days for us. am thinking of staying at the scandic palace or scandic copenhagen for the 2 days before our cruise. (may 2016) any preferences there? the palace seems to get slightly better reviews. originally i had thought we might stay at the airport hilton, but i am feeling more comfortable with perhaps staying in town. (the two scandic hotels are also offered through our cruiseline with transfer to ship. we will have very little luggage....one back pack and one rolling case each). love all your advice. thanks. :D

From the central station (København H) to Hillerød it takes 39 minutes on regular weekdays and 43 minutes in weekends and public holidays.

Departures every 10th minutes with Line A.

From Hillerød station you can take bus 301 to Ålholmparken or 302 to Sophienlund and be at the castle in 4-5 minutes.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/301-0301-160215.pdf

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/302-0302-110115.pdf

Or walk in 15-20 minutes.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hiller%C3%B8d,+3400+Hiller%C3%B8d/Frederiksborg+Castle,+Hiller%C3%B8d/@55.9306872,12.3002959,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465240b95bb5c427:0x1129b986a5f62d62!2m2!1d12.3107273!2d55.9270016!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524097762941e1:0x12c6a634246b6152!2m2!1d12.3012724!2d55.9349652!3e2

From Hillerød to Helsingør you take Lokaltog train towards Helsingør at XX:00 and XX:30 on weekdays and XX:03 on weekends and public holidays.

Traveltime is between 26 and 28 minutes depending on departure.

You can see Kronborg (aka Hamlets castle) across the harbour from the train station.

When going back to Copenhagen you have 2 options.

Express trains at XX:03, XX:23 and XX:43 taking 45 minutes and all stop trains at XX:16, XX:38 and XX:58 taking 50 minutes.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking, we will be back in Copenhagen next August for a couple of nights before we take Serenade's transatlantic cruise on August 28. Would enjoy getting together at Tivoli the way we did in 2012 if you are amenable - I'm betting we can get some of our roll call to join us. Send me an email at critterchick at cox dot net and we can chat.:D

Quick questions for our May 2016 trip well may three questions.

We arrive April 30 at around 1:00 PM with a Princess transfer to Radisson Blu Royal. Our plan is simple get refreshed (if I am still not 100% take a short nap) then go to Tivoli Gardens for the evening. On May 1st. in the AM would like to enjoy a canal tour. We were in beautiful Copenhagen in 2006 and enjoyed all the tourist stops we wanted but no time for these two items.

Question 1 - How much locale currency would we need for the Garden and tip money for the canal trip? We were told the hotel is across the square from the Garden. At the Garden I would want our dinner and was thinking different kiosks to try different items. Just a ball park as we don't want a lot of currency left when we leave again on the 12th.

Question 2 - How much time should we allow for the canal tour? How far is this from the square near the Garden? We want to keep the Princess transfer from the hotel to the ship but don't feel the need to board to early as have been on the Regal before. We are hoping the hotel will have suggested canal tours.

Question 3 - The weather at the end of April first part of May. I know weather is better later in the season, but we need to space our vacation times and are going with the kids in Oct. 2016. Should I pack for 40's and wet? Or does spring start this early in Denmark?

There I go just 3 main topics but they have more than 1 question in them. Getting excited 153 more days until we set out on a new adventure.

Thanks and all the best, Laura

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

Danish Viking, we will be back in Copenhagen next August for a couple of nights before we take Serenade's transatlantic cruise on August 28. Would enjoy getting together at Tivoli the way we did in 2012 if you are amenable - I'm betting we can get some of our roll call to join us. Send me an email at critterchick at cox dot net and we can chat.:D

That would nice, i will try to break your enigma code and write you an e-mail. :D

Quick questions for our May 2016 trip well may three questions.

We arrive April 30 at around 1:00 PM with a Princess transfer to Radisson Blu Royal. Our plan is simple get refreshed (if I am still not 100% take a short nap) then go to Tivoli Gardens for the evening. On May 1st. in the AM would like to enjoy a canal tour. We were in beautiful Copenhagen in 2006 and enjoyed all the tourist stops we wanted but no time for these two items.

Question 1 - How much locale currency would we need for the Garden and tip money for the canal trip? We were told the hotel is across the square from the Garden. At the Garden I would want our dinner and was thinking different kiosks to try different items. Just a ball park as we don't want a lot of currency left when we leave again on the 12th.

Question 2 - How much time should we allow for the canal tour? How far is this from the square near the Garden? We want to keep the Princess transfer from the hotel to the ship but don't feel the need to board to early as have been on the Regal before. We are hoping the hotel will have suggested canal tours.

Question 3 - The weather at the end of April first part of May. I know weather is better later in the season, but we need to space our vacation times and are going with the kids in Oct. 2016. Should I pack for 40's and wet? Or does spring start this early in Denmark?

There I go just 3 main topics but they have more than 1 question in them. Getting excited 153 more days until we set out on a new adventure.

Thanks and all the best, Laura

I will get back to you in a few days.