Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Kronborg is walkable.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Helsing%C3%B8r+Railway+Station,+Stationspladsen+2,+3000+Helsing%C3%B8r/M%2FS+Maritime+Museum+of+Denmark,+Ny+Kronborgvej+1,+3000+Helsing%C3%B8r/Kronborg,+2C,+3000+Helsing%C3%B8r/@56.0368532,12.6132918,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x46523114010e399b:0x3686aeae25d4a895!2m2!1d12.6144555!2d56.0335192!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652310d8be4e5e3:0xff770789f4f42d2f!2m2!1d12.6159491!2d56.0391689!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652310d8be4e5e3:0xc201c3cdc1f14036!2m2!1d12.6211551!2d56.0390142!3e2

Frederiksborg is also walkable but its a longer trip, 20 minutes time or so.

Or take bus 301 towards Ullerød or Ålholmparken or 302 towards Sophienlund, the bus is included in the train ticket or Copenhagen Card.

Both busses stops at the Frederiksborg Slot bus stop.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hiller%C3%B8d+St./Frederiksborg+Castle,+Hiller%C3%B8d/@55.9306932,12.3000598,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465240b95bb5c427:0x1129b986a5f62d62!2m2!1d12.3109284!2d55.9269234!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524097762941e1:0x12c6a634246b6152!2m2!1d12.3012724!2d55.9349652!3e2

The S-train runs every 10th minute and Øresundstog runs every 20th minute but the Lokaltog train route 930R only runs every 30th minute and every hour in the weekend.

http://www.lokalbanen.dk/koereplaner/lille-nord-930r

Would you recommend a Copenhagen Card? We will be going to Malmo and then the trip you planned for us? We would have to buy for 2 days and use for transportation 2 castles and for Tivoli the night before. What do you think?

Linda S.

Btw if any of you still needs to book a flight then here you will find any route offerings from North America to CPH.

San Francisco with Scandinavian Airlines

Los Angeles with Norwegian

Chicago with Scandinavian Airlines

Toronto with Air Canada

Washington-Dulles with Scandinavian Airlines

Fort Lauderdale with Norwegian

Orlando with Norwegian

New York-Newark with Scandinavian Airlines (2 daily departures during the summer)

New York-JFK with both Delta and Norwegian.

Scandinavian Airlines uses Airbus A330 and A340 and they are all getting new seats and interior starting with the CPH Newark route in February.

It included Hästens bed linen and lie flat beds in business class.

Norwegian uses Boeing 787 Dreamliners on all routes but can sometimes be replaced with other planes.

Delta uses a Boeing 757 or 767, can't remember.

Air Canada flies daily during the summer with a Boeing 787 dreamliner.

Have you ever taken the train from Hamburg that gets loaded onto a ferry (to cross from Germany into Denmark)> If so, what was your experience like?

Alan

Have you ever taken the train from Hamburg that gets loaded onto a ferry (to cross from Germany into Denmark)> If so, what was your experience like?

Alan

Yes many many times.

I only have good experiences on this service, one time the train was delayed they hold the train towards Køge at Næstved station so we could make it even though we came into the station some minutes after the train should have departed. top service :D

And the ferry trip is a nice break and its conveniently located halfway on the trip.

There are new routes to the US of A since my last opdate. :D

Las Vegas with Norwegian (starts this fall)

Boston with Norwegian (starts in may 2016)

Miami with Scandinavian Airlines (fall 2016)

San Francisco with Scandinavian Airlines

Los Angeles with Norwegian

Chicago with Scandinavian Airlines

Toronto with Air Canada

Washington-Dulles with Scandinavian Airlines

Fort Lauderdale with Norwegian

Orlando with Norwegian

New York-Newark with Scandinavian Airlines (2 daily departures during the summer)

New York-JFK with both Delta and Norwegian

I forgot Irma at Axeltorv 2 just opposite the main Tivoli entrance.

That's is even closer than the other stores I mentioned.

But also at the central station there is a store called kooperativet or something like that that maybe also has wine.

Thanks! This gives me lots of options! Have a nice weekend!

Hi DV,

I have to add my huge Thanks for all of your help!

We were in Copenhagen 6/13. It was a beautiful Saturday in Copenhagen & we absolutely loved it!

We were able to do exactly what we wanted. The Copenhagen Card was absolutely worth it! We used it for Canal Tours Copenhagen, Rosenborg, Christianborg, & transportation.

We used Bus 26 from Indiakaj to City Hall Square, made our way back to do the canal tour, and ended up at Rosenborg.

We were able to go out the back of Rosenborg and caught Bus 26 back to Indiakaj from Georg Brandes Plads very easily.

We didn't want to leave...caught the 3:15 bus for an all aboard at 3:30!

Now that we've done it we know how easy it is!!

Denmark was very good to us in Skagen as well. We had a beautiful & fun day in Skagen. Put our feet in both oceans, saw the buried church, the Ancher home, and loved the art by the Skagen painters in the museum. The museum is being renovated so we didn't get to see the entire collection, unfortunately!

We met some wonderful Danish people...especially at the pastry shops. I'll never forget the young, pretty Danish girl who told me just what kind of traditional pastry I should get! It was a twist with poppy seeds, was just a little sweet!

Thanks again for making me feel confident to do Copenhagen on my own and answering all of my questions!!

Chris Stone

I was scanning thru all of this and see you thought the Copenhagen card was worth it. We arrive in Copenhagen at 1PM on the 19th and board the Regent the next day. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the card for that little of time? If so, did you purchase it and then pick it up when you got to the airport? Thanks

I was scanning thru all of this and see you thought the Copenhagen card was worth it. We arrive in Copenhagen at 1PM on the 19th and board the Regent the next day. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the card for that little of time? If so, did you purchase it and then pick it up when you got to the airport? Thanks

Whether the Copenhagen Card is a good deal for you depends on what you plan to do in Copenhagen. We were in the city for just over 24 hours prior to our cruise in July. Our plans included just one of the attactions covered by the Card and the only public transportation we used was from the airport to our hotel and the hotel to Oceankaj (which totaled 72 DKK per person). So we would have lost money had we purchased the card.

You can go to the Copenhagen Card website and enter in the various attractions you plan to visit to see how much you save (or don't save) by purchasing the card. But note that they automatically include 130 DKK for the value of an all-day transit pass. If you are like us, you'll spend much less than that on transit in 24 hours.

Whether the Copenhagen Card is a good deal for you depends on what you plan to do in Copenhagen. We were in the city for just over 24 hours prior to our cruise in July. Our plans included just one of the attactions covered by the Card and the only public transportation we used was from the airport to our hotel and the hotel to Oceankaj (which totaled 72 DKK per person). So we would have lost money had we purchased the card.

You can go to the Copenhagen Card website and enter in the various attractions you plan to visit to see how much you save (or don't save) by purchasing the card. But note that they automatically include 130 DKK for the value of an all-day transit pass. If you are like us, you'll spend much less than that on transit in 24 hours.

HI GradUT,

We'll be in Copenhagen in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of buying the City Pass bus ticket. It gives you 24 hours of public transportation in and around Copenhagen for 80 DKK. My current plans include taking 3 bus/metro trips around town (24 DKK each) so technically I wouldn't quite break even. But I thought the convenience of already having the ticket on my phone would be worth it? That way I wouldn't have to figure out where and how to buy tickets when I get there.

I'm probably overthinking this....but I just envision myself staring at the ticket machine not being able to figure it out with a long impatient line behind me.....or the driver getting annoyed because I don't have small currency.....

Danish Viking,

Hello , sorry as you are continually bothered by these transportation questions but I disembark the Norwegian Star on Sept 6th and need to get to the airport. It is a Sunday so not sure which buses run. Can I take a bus to S train then to airport and what would be the fair? is is one ticket for both or do I pay for bus and train separately?also do you know which port Norwegian Star is at? Thank you for your help.

Pat

Danish Viking,

Hello , sorry as you are continually bothered by these transportation questions but I disembark the Norwegian Star on Sept 6th and need to get to the airport. It is a Sunday so not sure which buses run. Can I take a bus to S train then to airport and what would be the fair? is is one ticket for both or do I pay for bus and train separately?also do you know which port Norwegian Star is at? Thank you for your help.

Pat

Your ship are at Oceankaj together with Eurodam.

25 should run every 20-30 from 8:00 but with no fixed timetable.

27 starts at 8:16 with the next departures 8:46, 9:16 etc the restof the day.

Get off at Østerport and take the airport train from there.

The airport train runs every 10th minute and take 22-23 minutes depending on departure.

HI GradUT,

We'll be in Copenhagen in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of buying the City Pass bus ticket. It gives you 24 hours of public transportation in and around Copenhagen for 80 DKK. My current plans include taking 3 bus/metro trips around town (24 DKK each) so technically I wouldn't quite break even. But I thought the convenience of already having the ticket on my phone would be worth it? That way I wouldn't have to figure out where and how to buy tickets when I get there.

I'm probably overthinking this....but I just envision myself staring at the ticket machine not being able to figure it out with a long impatient line behind me.....or the driver getting annoyed because I don't have small currency.....

Pompeii, if you will use the buses for three 2-zone trips (24 DKK each), you will only be out 8 DKK at the end of the day. This may be a small price to pay for your personal piece of mind.

However, I will say that the bus drivers are INCREDIBLY nice and patient with all the tourists who don't know how much to pay when they board, don't have the right amount ready, etc. So, if you decide to pay-as-you-go, don't worry about the bus drivers--they've already seen it all.

Pompeii, if you will use the buses for three 2-zone trips (24 DKK each), you will only be out 8 DKK at the end of the day. This may be a small price to pay for your personal piece of mind.

However, I will say that the bus drivers are INCREDIBLY nice and patient with all the tourists who don't know how much to pay when they board, don't have the right amount ready, etc. So, if you decide to pay-as-you-go, don't worry about the bus drivers--they've already seen it all.

Thanks for the reassurance, GradUT. DH wants to do the HOHO bus, but I've read mixed reviews about them in Copenhagen. And the HOHO shuttle doesn't start until around 9am; we dock much earlier than that so we could get an earlier start if we use the public system. Our stop in Copenhagen is right after a sea day, so hopefully we can drag ourselves out of bed!:rolleyes:

Would like to hear what others who have taken the HOHO bus think? Read the green one has best routes and boat canal tour included but terrible long waits at everystop for bus to come. What are the big negatives about the other routes?

Thanks for the reassurance, GradUT. DH wants to do the HOHO bus, but I've read mixed reviews about them in Copenhagen. And the HOHO shuttle doesn't start until around 9am; we dock much earlier than that so we could get an earlier start if we use the public system. Our stop in Copenhagen is right after a sea day, so hopefully we can drag ourselves out of bed!:rolleyes:

Pompeii, we did not take the HO/HO bus in Copenhagen but found it very easy to get around to all the sights on our own (mostly on foot). I highly recommend the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour. We took the 3-hour Grand Tour and our young, enthusiastic guide could not have been better. He was both knowledgeable (being a local) and entertaining. His tour was well worth the tip we paid at the conclusion. See: http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk/

Where at Oceankaj do you purchase tickets for the bus and train or can you do it on the bus? I saw the stop a short walk from the Norwegian Star. Also what is the cost for the ticket for both rides to the airport?

Thank you

Pompeii, we did not take the HO/HO bus in Copenhagen but found it very easy to get around to all the sights on our own (mostly on foot). I highly recommend the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour. We took the 3-hour Grand Tour and our young, enthusiastic guide could not have been better. He was both knowledgeable (being a local) and entertaining. His tour was well worth the tip we paid at the conclusion. See: http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk/

What kind of ball-park tip should we expect to pay for this tour? Thanks.

Hi Danish Viking!

We will be arriving in Copenhagen at 6:00 PM on a Sunday night and have reservations at the Wake Up Copenhagen Boregergade. There will be five of us and our luggage. What is the best way to get to the hotel?

Also, is there anywhere near the hotel that you'd suggest for dinner?

Also, what will be the best way to get to the port on Tuesday from the hotel? We will probably have 8-9 pieces of luggage for the 5 of us.

Many thanks,

Natalie

The best but also most expensive way is to take a big taxi, a regular taxi only fits 4 and can probably not fit the luggage anyway.

Maybe your group can split up and some will take the taxi with luggage and others the metro.

Else you can take the metro to Kongens Nytorv and walk to the hotel from there.

Google maps is a little bit weird because you can just walk across the square instead of walking around it. :eek:

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/Kongens+Nytorv+St.+(Metro)/@55.6807728,12.5822614,17z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!3m4!1m2!1d12.5863066!2d55.6811537!3s0x465253183ca0bf99:0xbfd9d487ec37a15d!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525317956e2b27:0xbcf5dbf2ceefc16b!2m2!1d12.5852281!2d55.6791848!3e2

Nyhavn is visible on the map so if you want some maritime food then its a good choice.

Bøf og Ost (steak and cheese) is one of the best places i havebeen in Copenhagen.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/B%C3%B8f+%26+Ost,+Gr%C3%A5br%C3%B8dretorv,+Copenhagen/@55.6812619,12.5777029,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525310f0548e7b:0x72ab873e6065bc22!2m2!1d12.5758684!2d55.6795588!3e2

To the pier you can use combination of bus 26 and 27.

Take bus 26 to Østerport station, Sløjfen (so not the first stop simply just called Østerport station)

At Sløjfen you take bus 27 directly to Oceankaj.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Wakeup+Copenhagen,+Borgergade,+Borgergade/St.+Kongensgade/@55.6833502,12.5844672,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525319b1b0f2af:0x70dfb512af0202a7!2m2!1d12.584104!2d55.682959!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525318f080d9a9:0xf2311e660fa7c131!2m2!1d12.5865843!2d55.68374