Quick Clothing alterations?

cask2393

Hey everyone!

I leave for my cruise in 2 week!!! So excited, but there is one problem. I recently ordered a new swimsuit for the cruise at JCP and I finally got it last week. My problem is that while the rest of the suit fits perfectly, the chest of my one piece is WAY too big. I should probably mention I am a plus size girl with a very small chest. If you know how most plus size clothes fit, they expect you to have a big bust. Does anyone know how to fix this relatively quick and cheap. I also am having this issue with my formal dress, but I think I can fix that with fashion tape. Any ideas?

I'm built the same way so I understand your problem. Does the suit have cups that could be taken in like with a dart? Is the suit on Penney's website? We might have more ideas if we can see it.

I'm glad someone understands lol it is not common lol. What do you mean with a dart? Attached is a photo of the swim suit. I was thinking about looking to see if there are waterproof bra enhancers or possibly attach straps if possible.

Untitled.jpg.7fae552675a88a7aded638f3d5499c1c.jpg

Take it to you local dry cleaner...most do alterations, and do it pretty well. If all else fails, STUFF!!!! You can probably "enhance" the cups with some foam fillers.....but I would think a seamstress can take it in enough that it won't be a problem!

Take it to you local dry cleaner...most do alterations, and do it pretty well. If all else fails, STUFF!!!! You can probably "enhance" the cups with some foam fillers.....but I would think a seamstress can take it in enough that it won't be a problem!

Thank you! I am going to call the dry cleaners and alteration shops around town tomorrow and see how much it would cost/how long it will take as I am trying not to spend an arm and a leg on alterations and on a time constraint lol

I do sew but I don't know how to take the suit in. But maybe a dart on both sides coming from under the arm area might work. There is a sewing thread and maybe some one on there might have a idea about how to do it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834

Darts

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/02/types-of-darts-in-sewing/

Edited by geocruiser

I do sew but I don't know how to take the suit in. But maybe a dart on both sides coming from under the arm area might work. There is a sewing thread and maybe some one on there might have a idea about how to do it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834

Darts

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/02/types-of-darts-in-sewing/

I agree about the darts under the arms but would also try to take it in in the front. The runching (sp) should help to hide the alteration. Might also help to shorten the straps.

Mary Lou

I agree about the darts under the arms but would also try to take it in in the front. The runching (sp) should help to hide the alteration. Might also help to shorten the straps.

Mary Lou

That sound good. I think it is not an easy job to do.

Mary Lou

That sound good. I think it is not an easy job to do.

I would venture to guess that there is some sort of padding in the bust area, can't think of too many suits that don't have any. Also, I have a VERY similar suit and it's not just the suit fabric. Just taking it in with a dart is not going to make the area smaller, that padding also has to be made smaller.

It's not an easy fix and hopefully, the OP will get an answer from the places she is looking into. Even though I sew, I hate alterations and always have a seamtress do them for me.:o:D

I would venture to guess that there is some sort of padding in the bust area, can't think of too many suits that don't have any. Also, I have a VERY similar suit and it's not just the suit fabric. Just taking it in with a dart is not going to make the area smaller, that padding also has to be made smaller.

It's not an easy fix and hopefully, the OP will get an answer from the places she is looking into. Even though I sew, I hate alterations and always have a seamtress do them for me.:o:D

You are right. I forgot about the pads.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with a bathing suit I bought last year. First I took the side seams in from the rib cage area up to the top. When I had the suit fitting snugly around, then I took a dart BETWEEN the cups of the suit on the INSIDE only. This brings the girls together, but doesn't affect the look on the outside front.

It's a matter of fitting around then bringing the breasts together.

I meant to tell you all, I found a solution. I went ahead and bought a bandeau and I am wearing it underneath the suit and it still looks pretty good. On our way now:) ship leaves Monday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums