Leaving cruise early

mjd2000

Hi, we are planning a Caribbean cruise in 2015, leaving from Port Canaveral, Florida, through the Caribbean islands and would like to leave the cruise in Cozumel Mexico, instead of returning back to Florida.

We are traveling on Australian passports if this makes any difference.

Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will allow this? Does this violate the passenger services act?

The information on the website isn't clear to me whether it applies to our situation.

"If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Thanks so much for your advice

I'm hoping I have found my answer already, by searching old posts.

I found this link and am hoping that it means we will be OK.

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-04-421

For example, voyages by foreign vessels between two U.S. ports that include a distant foreign port, and round trip voyages from U.S. ports that include a nearby foreign port and other U.S. ports, do not violate the PVSA.

I would still greatly appreciate advice from anyone who knows if people have been allowed to get off in Cozumel.

If you leave the ship in Cozumel certainly won't violate any US law, the real question is will Royal permit it. While not knowing all the implications, having passengers leave or join a cruise can impact the manner in which a ship that is on a "Closed Loop" voyage (round trip out of a US port) is cleared by Customs Border Patrol.

Give Royal a call, if they give the OK... get it in writing!

You can always leave early, but it's best to get permission. They generally won't grand permission if leaving from US and getting off in a different US port, however they also cannot force you back on the ship against your will. You may be subject to a fine if in violation of the PSVA.

If getting off in a port that does not violate the PSVA, just notify them in advance and it's generally not a problem. Also check to see if you will need a travel visa in this situation.

I found out last week that my daughter has to be back to work sooner than she was originally told. So we are getting off in Barbados in Jan and heading home from there. I did call RC, and they transferred me to emergency services department They asked which ship and which port, and I am ok. They then sent me a letter approving the disembarking in Barbados that I need to have with me.

There was a thread recently where a similar request was denied. The only way that you will know for sure us to call.

Hi, we are planning a Caribbean cruise in 2015, leaving from Port Canaveral, Florida, through the Caribbean islands and would like to leave the cruise in Cozumel Mexico, instead of returning back to Florida.

We are traveling on Australian passports if this makes any difference.

Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean will allow this? Does this violate the passenger services act?

The information on the website isn't clear to me whether it applies to our situation.

"If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Thanks so much for your advice

Ken, did that other thread state the reason for the denial? Leaving the ship in Mexico does not violate any U.S. laws. The OP just needs to have the availability of Mexican Customs & Immigration to enter the country.

Cannot help with Caribbean cruises but someone mentioned the emergency department in a post above and they were the ones we were redirected to when we wanted to leave the ship in Europe.

Try emailing emergencyteam@rccl.com - they responded really quickly with permission. We had to supply ship, sailing date, names, stateroom and where we wished to disembark. Good luck

Edited by Bobal