Why no perks on TA?

jsf

Generally its because the pricing of TA's and Repo's is lower than standard cruise fares, when looked at on a per day basis.

I sailed the PH on Eclipse 13 night TA this spring for $10,100. I'm looking at a 7 day cruise now where that cabin is $15k.

It's because on a per day basis, TAs are almost always the lowest priced cruises. I've done a 15 day TA in a balcony for $699--try finding that deal on any other X cruise. So, because of the lower-than-normal pricing, basically bare bones, the extras are not normally offered. However I HAVE seen them offered at 'normal' pricing, ie $1499.

Here in the UK this morning I was looking at one of the large UK online agencies which was offering for the Constellation spring TA to Europe the following choices (prices from memory):

1) Gty Balcony, flights to FLL from LGW + 2 nights hotel in FLL+ flight back to LGW + drinks at around £1250.

2) Various cabins from Inside grade 12 at £495 upwards, no flights etc.

3) Similar offer to 1 above, except on all cabin categories and NO drinks. Balconies around £1350, Insides from £1050.

So for us here at least, it is possible to get offers but only on later bookings, and of course at a price!! By the way, don't shoot the messenger over the accuracy of the prices quoted - I did say from memory.

I did both transatlantics on Celebrity. In April we did the Silhouette and paid $900 p.p. for a balcony. We got $225 obc from our online travel agent. In October we were on the Equinox. We paid $1200 p.p. for a concierge and got $475 obc from our same agent. I guess it balances out pricewise.

In the past TA's HAVE been traditionally lower priced, but we're now finding that that the prices aren't that reasonable. We still have 3 booked in the future, but if the prices continue to increase, we may after 15 years with Celebrity, look at another cruiseline. Maybe Oceania.

In the past TA's HAVE been traditionally lower priced, but we're now finding that that the prices aren't that reasonable. We still have 3 booked in the future, but if the prices continue to increase, we may after 15 years with Celebrity, look at another cruiseline. Maybe Oceania.

Yes, the prices for TA 's have risen. Just look at the suite/AQ prices for 2015.

Perhaps there will be some last minute Tuesday specials

I remember the good ole days when an AQ cabin went for $1800 on an eastbound TA on the Equinox ( 2012 )

Another factor is free alcohol . There are so many Elites on transatlantics that they have to give out drink coupons. They also can't sell many shore excursions.

Lastly, because of the sea days, they make a lot more selling drink packages, so they don't want to give them away.

I've noticed itineraries on TA's getting a day or 2 or 3 longer, with added port stops. I think this factors dramatically into the observed higher prices on them in addition to the additional days, the extra ports make them more interesting to book in advance.

Eclipse to Southampton the last 2 years was 13 days with 3 ports along the way. This year it's changed to 16 nights with 5 ports including overnight in Bermuda, Portugal, Azores, Spain, and France along the way.

I'm still going to wait till after final payments and look to scoop up a last minute deal, though I will admit, this year I'm feeling a bit less confident in a large supply of open cheap cabins.

As of now for example, Eclipse has only 11% open cabins. Reflection, 16% open cabins. I followed the Reflection and Eclipse sales last year, before booking Eclipse 3 weeks out, and Reflection pretty much sold out in advance, and at decent fares, compared to the relatively dirt cheap fares on the Eclipse with its quick crossing and few interesting ports along the way.

I just puchased a TA cabin for sailing on 4/27 it's a CX gty. cabin, they won't include any of the perks they offer on other cruises. I wonder why? Maybe it's because of the pricing?

J.

Look at the post regarding the 10% offer of OBC for pre- booking dining, drink, and/or excursion packages but you have to do it by 12/15/14

Yes, the prices for TA 's have risen. Just look at the suite/AQ prices for 2015.

Perhaps there will be some last minute Tuesday specials

I remember the good ole days when an AQ cabin went for $1800 on an eastbound TA on the Equinox ( 2012 )

Another factor is free alcohol . There are so many Elites on transatlantics that they have to give out drink coupons. They also can't sell many shore excursions.

Lastly, because of the sea days, they make a lot more selling drink packages, so they don't want to give them away.

2012 westbound Equniox, 2c for $799 with $300 obc

2013 eastbound Silhouette AQU cabin $999 CAD per person, $450 obc

2013 westbound Equniox 1b, $1075 CAD with $75 obc with the drink package

I miss those days :(

2013 westbound was to pricey to go

For most TA's, the number of port days, of 15 or 16 total days, is 5. That means 10 or 11 days at sea where people can drink all day long. On last fall TA, drink package was included for some who signed on after CC lower fares. Celebrity surely didn't make money on that venture. However, they did raise prices for the cruise just before they offered the packages.

Cruise prices for TA's jumped for Spring TA's this year. Spring TA wasn't any longer and surely weren't more ports, just more cost. Set for Fall 2015, but that may be the last if prices continue to rise.

I just puchased a TA cabin for sailing on 4/27 it's a CX gty. cabin, they won't include any of the perks they offer on other cruises. I wonder why? Maybe it's because of the pricing?

J.

Do Gty cabins earn perks, never mind if it's a TA or not.

Celebrity UK ran a promotion which ended at the end of Nov, whereby the Classic drinks package could be added at 'today's prices.'

I enquired but left it when the price was +£299 above the price I had booked at.

However, when I added my airfare, I asked again. This time the price was £137 above my booked rate, so I added it, but lost my OBC of $75.

However, since then, I have had more invoices and the last one added OBC of $50.

I really don't think anyone can get into the Admin & marketing minds at Celebrity to explain to the OP his query!!!

When the TA's for Spring 2015 were first announced the pricing was still VERY good. Eclipse CS for $3,500 per person, plus $200 OBC, A1, for $1800 plus $150OBC..this was for 16 nights. NOW same cruise has CS for OVER $11,000 per person and A1 for over $3,000 per person and similar pricing for all categories......so in this case booking early, VERY early was a deal. Same is true for the TA's just announced a few weeks back for Spring 2016.... we booked Reflection for similar pricing as Eclipse Spring 2015, no OBC though, and now prices have already risen dramatically. Early bird DOES indeed, occasionally, catch the worm!!! :D

I can completely understand NOT offering the free beverage package on a TA....so many sea days could wind up costing X a lot of $$$:eek:

When the TA's for Spring 2015 were first announced the pricing was still VERY good. Eclipse CS for $3,500 per person, plus $200 OBC, A1, for $1800 plus $150OBC..this was for 16 nights. NOW same cruise has CS for OVER $11,000 per person and A1 for over $3,000 per person and similar pricing for all categories......so in this case booking early, VERY early was a deal. Same is true for the TA's just announced a few weeks back for Spring 2016.... we booked Reflection for similar pricing as Eclipse Spring 2015, no OBC though, and now prices have already risen dramatically. Early bird DOES indeed, occasionally, catch the worm!!! :D

I can completely understand NOT offering the free beverage package on a TA....so many sea days could wind up costing X a lot of $$$:eek:

Last year, I booked a RS for my sillie sailing I just got off, at a "great fare" I thought. It was a fare that did not have any perks apply, Captains Club discount fare. I watched the fare go up over time......I thought I had won. Then I watched the fares plummet a month prior to final payments, to a point that they were selling for just a couple hundred more than I paid, but now allowed drinks packages. Then after final payments, the fare dropped to $1000 less than I paid.

So I thought I caught the worm for bout 9 or 10 months....then kicked myself for booking so early. That $1000 fare drop would have covered my drinks packages and more....

Supply and demand more than anything. My lesson learned, book, and cancel close to final payments and rebook after final payments if cabins are still open then.

Last year, I booked a RS for my sillie sailing I just got off, at a "great fare" I thought. It was a fare that did not have any perks apply, Captains Club discount fare. I watched the fare go up over time......I thought I had won. Then I watched the fares plummet a month prior to final payments, to a point that they were selling for just a couple hundred more than I paid, but now allowed drinks packages. Then after final payments, the fare dropped to $1000 less than I paid.

So I thought I caught the worm for bout 9 or 10 months....then kicked myself for booking so early. That $1000 fare drop would have covered my drinks packages and more....

Supply and demand more than anything. My lesson learned, book, and cancel close to final payments and rebook after final payments if cabins are still open then.

Hope my worm "stays caught" for the Eclipse TA this spring!!!:D Can't wait till we can actually wait till after final payment to book our cruises...with work schedules usually have to know farther in advance for vacation time!

I have been doing TAs for the past 4 years. The prices are definitely going up. I can't accept anymore the rationale of the cheap costs per day for TAs. There are many Caribbean cruises that go on sale months in advance. The cost per day of these cruises is very cheap. Why should X provide 123 for those Caribbean cruises and not a TA. I do definitely understand why X doesn't want to give away the drink packages but what about the other options...OBCs or paid gratuities?