fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

StanandJim, PaulChili and Aussie Gal . . . .

Good information.

One more question: are the 3 R ships owned by Oceania identical?

Thanks!

Peggy

Yes, they are. I'm not sure about the one coming on board next year ... if it's one of the later ships it would be slightly different in terms of accommodations (R6-8 didn't have the PH cabins when built).

As to mechanicals ... who knows what differences occurred over the years. Regatta and Insignia date from around 1998, Nautica from 2000. We were on the R7 in 2001. Ren went bankrupt right after 9/11.

Ren was very enthusiastic about building a lot of ships quickly. Some of us thought that was their basic problem.

And of course we aren't talking about the "little ships" that were in the Renaissance fleet as well. I'm not sure where they went.

Yes, they are. I'm not sure about the one coming on board next year ... if it's one of the later ships it would be slightly different in terms of accommodations (R6-8 didn't have the PH cabins when built).

As to mechanicals ... who knows what differences occurred over the years. Regatta and Insignia date from around 1998, Nautica from 2000. We were on the R7 in 2001. Ren went bankrupt right after 9/11.

Ren was very enthusiastic about building a lot of ships quickly. Some of us thought that was their basic problem.

And of course we aren't talking about the "little ships" that were in the Renaissance fleet as well. I'm not sure where they went.

The ship that is going to Oceania in 2016 is the Ocean Princess which I have cruised on many times. She was the original Tahitian Princess and she is identical to the 3 that Oceania have now. The three different ones were the Royal Princess, Quest and Journey. Azamara added some PH cabins to the Quest and Journey but Princess just left the ship with balcony cabins and no PH at all.

The Ocean has the lovely mini's on Deck 8 which are the PH's on Oceania. We always book a mini and we will be on the lovely Ocean in April. We are sorry that Princess has sold her as she is a beautiful ship and we have had many wonderful cruises on her. When we cruised on the Nautica back in 2006, we couldn't find any differences at that time between the two ships.

I do know where a couple of the very small Renaissance ships have gone. We cruised on one around the Galapagos Islands back in 2006 and that was called the Galapagos Explorer and it is now the Silver Explorer. A couple are owned by the UAE Royal Family. Another one is the Caledonian Sky, another is Sea Spirit, another is Sea Explorer, another is Island Sky and the last is Corinthian. That is the whole 6 of them.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Just curious, did they have you take life vests to the muster? And were the muster stations outdoors? I have only been on 1 R-class ship, Ocean Princess, and Princes has indoor muster stations.

Thanks so much for your personal reports. Glad you are recovering. As an EMT/firefighter I have learned the stresses of emergencies, especially when there are fatalities. Be very, very kind to yourself.

Blesings to all affected by this tragedy. Maureen

Our muster station was indoors in the theater. During the drill we were led outside to the lifeboats...I don't remember that being done on Marina this past summer, but we may have been.

We were in port and it just didn't occur to us to bring our vests...but I do recall some had them. Leaving our cabin, I had gotten halfway down the hall when I heard someone in another cabin doorway say get your meds...so I ran back to DH a who was still in the cabin and put the Meds in the handy dandy O bag.

Back home today. We beat the luggage. I was kind of worried that it would be delivered while we were still in Miami and no one could sign for it if they needed a signature. We hide a condo key and had our maintenance man hide another in case the first had gotten misplaced. DH had the foresight to not take the car keys (we didn't drive to the airport). Even my work keys are with the luggage (ok, I was really stupid to have those with me) but, manged to get another set when I went in for a few hours today. The issues with keys was another thing many of us learned. Only take what is necessary and put those in the safe.

Edited by buggins0402

I do know where a couple of the very small Renaissance ships have gone. We cruised on one around the Galapagos Islands back in 2006 and that was called the Galapagos Explorer and it is now the Silver Explorer. A couple are owned by the UAE Royal Family. Another one is the Caledonian Sky, another is Sea Spirit, another is Sea Explorer, another is Island Sky and the last is Corinthian. That is the whole 6 of them.

Jennie

These are the current names, former names and registries of the "Renaissance Yacht" Class ships:

• Dubawi: (a) Renaissance I (b) The Mercury © Leisure World (d) Dubawi. Now sailing as a yacht.
  • Cruise One: (a) Renaissance II (b) The Neptune © EasyCruiseOne. Sold in 2008 as Cruise One, currently inoperative.
  • Silver Galapagos: (a) Renaissance III (b) Galapagos Explorer II, (1990) Galapagos Inc., Ecuador © Silver Galapagos;; from 2013, Silversea Expeditions.
  • Corinthian: (a) Renaissance IV (b) Clelia II (1998), Troodos © Orion II (d) Corinthian from 2013, Travel Dynamics Int.
  • Sea Spirit: (a) Renaissance V (b) Sun Viva (1997), Sun Cruise © MegaStar Sagittarius (2000), Star Cruises (d) Spirit of Oceanus (2000), Cruise West (e) Sea Spirit (2010), Quark Expeditions.
  • Caledonian Sky: (a) Renaissance VI (b) Sun Viva 2 (1997), Sun cruise © MegaStar Capricorn (2000), Star Cruises (d) Hebridean Spirit (2000) (e) Caledonian Sky (2012), Noble-Caledonia.
  • Sea Explorer: (a) Renaissance VII (b) Renai I © Island Sun (d) Corinthian II (1991) (e) Sea Explorer from March 2013, Polar Latitudes and Poseidon Expeditions
  • Island Sky: (a) Renaissance VIII (b) Renai II © Island Sky (1992), Noble-Caledonia, Liberia.

Interesting that a number of them are in the fleet of some major Galapagos Island cruises.

Edited by PaulMCO

Checked Marine Traffic a few minutes ago and Insignia is still in port at St. Lucia. She has a lot of company today as the Carnival Valor, Seabourn Spirit and MSC Musica are also in port.

The tug Boulder is now only 50 nautical miles away- should be there around

3pm.

Checked Marine Traffic a few minutes ago and Insignia is still in port at St. Lucia. She has a lot of company today as the Carnival Valor, Seabourn Spirit and MSC Musica are also in port.

The tug Boulder is now only 50 nautical miles away- should be there around

3pm.

Same group that was in port with us last Thursday, except swap a Thompson ship for the Spirit.

Anyone get their luggage yet? We are still waiting for it or for some factual update. We decided to stay in Miami until yesterday, when the cruise would have ended, and took our regularly scheduled flight home. O,s hotline hasn't had any worthwhile info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone get their luggage yet? We are still waiting for it or for some factual update. We decided to stay in Miami until yesterday, when the cruise would have ended, and took our regularly scheduled flight home. O,s hotline hasn't had any worthwhile info."

We are in the same position. No news at all.....

Just heard from an O rep that luggage was packed and shipped by a company called luggage free. I just called them and they said we will have ours by next Tuesday at the latest. Delivery will be from fedex or DHL.

Just heard from an O rep that luggage was packed and shipped by a company called luggage free. I just called them and they said we will have ours by next Tuesday at the latest. Delivery will be from fedex or DHL.

Thanks for the info Sandy! When we got home yesterday, we had a message from O made on Sunday that had said 5 to 7 business days. Guess the holiday package rush is not working in our favor.

It was nice to meet you at the ferry terminal! Hope you enjoyed your stay in Miami and you were able to make it "special" even though your cruise was cut short.

Edited by buggins0402

Also should have opened my email. From my truly wonderful TA:

Dear Valued Insignia Guests and Travel Partners,

We would like to provide you with an update regarding the shipment of your luggage.

All luggage has been shipped from St. Lucia and is currently in transit either to U.S. based Federal Express facilities or your home. We’ve already received confirmation that some of our U.S. based guests received pieces of their luggage. The remaining pieces are being processed by Federal Express and should begin arriving to our U.S. guests as early as Friday. We anticipate all luggage will be delivered to homes by Wednesday, December 24th.

If you do not receive your luggage by that time, please contact our Insignia Guest Assistance Hotline at 1-866-765-3622. Outside of USA/Canada please contact us at 786-322-7900. Our standard business hours are 8:30am – 9:00pm Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm Saturday, and 10:00am – 6:00pm Sunday. All hours are based on Eastern Time. In observance of the Christmas holiday our offices will close at 3:00 pm on Wednesday, December 24th and remain closed on Thursday, December 25th. We will re-open on Friday, December 26th from 9:00am – 6:00pm.

For our international guests, including Canada, the luggage delivery may take longer, based on available services through Federal Express. We apologize for the additional delay.

Thank you again for your understanding and patience as we continue to resolve this situation. We greatly appreciate your continued support for the Oceania Cruises brand.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services

[quote name='buggins0402']
For our international guests, including Canada, the luggage delivery may take longer, based on available services through Federal Express. We apologize for the additional delay.
[/QUOTE]

Something I noticed as Oceania scheduled flights out for passengers. The approximately half of the passengers that are Canadians, Brits, and "other" seemed to be last to be scheduled to leave. Now I'm learning that my luggage might not get to *distant* Canada until [B]after[/B] Christmas?

My suspicion is that Canadians tend not to complain or worse, sue.

By the way, I live closer to Miami than about half of the USA.

On the one hand, I'm glad it wasn't worse and there is a plan to get me my luggage. However, being constantly stuck at the end of the line is starting to go against my easygoing Canadian nature. Bah, humbug!

Did anyone else notice this?

--- JRW

[quote name='rubric']Something I noticed as Oceania scheduled flights out for passengers. The approximately half of the passengers that are Canadians, Brits, and "other" seemed to be last to be scheduled to leave. Now I'm learning that my luggage might not get to *distant* Canada until [B]after[/B] Christmas?

My suspicion is that Canadians tend not to complain or worse, sue.

By the way, I live closer to Miami than about half of the USA.

On the one hand, I'm glad it wasn't worse and there is a plan to get me my luggage. However, being constantly stuck at the end of the line is starting to go against my easygoing Canadian nature. Bah, humbug!

Did anyone else notice this?

--- JRW[/quote]

Don't forget, distance for the luggage is NOT the only difference for delivery. Luggage going to any country other than staying within the US has to go thru that countries customs and normally luggage is with the traveler while clearing customs but, in this case there are potential delays in that the luggage was NOT packed by the owner and who the luggage is going to and it does at time for the "government" employees to clear the luggage so that certainly does add additional time to delivery to you and others outside the US. And, don't forget what time of year this is when many more millions of shipments are wending their way to people for the holidays.

Can't really blame O for the longer delivery time.