What would you have done? Oasis Chops Issue.

cello56

I am curious as to what most people would have done in this situation.

We were on the November 29th. sailing of Oasis of the Seas. On the Thursday, the second formal night - we had reservations at Chops Grill for 8:30pm. We had looked forward to this dinner all week, it was the only specialty dining meal we were able to do. Hoped for a wonderful evening with great food and service.

We were seated along a wall at a table for two. Banquette seating on one side, chair on the other. There were three tables for two in a row. Directly behind us was a large table for nine. DH and I pretty much sat down at the same time as the large table. Two of the men at that large table were EXTREMELY LOUD. I am talking give me a headache and make my ears bleed loud! And obnoxious as well - boasting about ordering a full lobster and a steak, telling about how awesome they were on the flowrider, complaining that he was Pinnacle and didn't get an invite to something. It was like they were yelling to make sure that everyone at their table listened to only them. And they never shut up. Seriously, when one man was eating, the guy on the other side of the table started his performance. This ruined the meal for us. I could hardly hear my husband to hold a conversation with him. I am not exaggerating - it was truly awful.

So what should we have done? The wait staff were well aware that all the surrounding people were upset with this table.

Here is the kicker. This table was being hosted by the Captain. As you can imagine, this made complaining very awkward for us. So we said nothing.

I did mention it on my guest survey, but got no response from RCI. I really feel that it was the Captain's job to keep his guests in line. A simple comment about how much fun everyone was having, but let us be mindful of those around us, would have quieted things down. Over all it really put a damper on our evening. When the bill arrived, they had only charged us for one $35 meal, saying that because it was formal night there was a special. I am guessing that they realized that our enjoyment of our meal had been compromised. Even with one meal free, we still felt that we wasted our money on a lousy evening.

So, what would you have done? Complained at the meal to the restaurant manager? Couldn't ask to be reseated as the restaurant was full. So awkward. :mad:

If I'm not enjoying myself on vacation I change it.

If there were no other tables I would've explained to

my waiter what the problem was and asked to come back

on another night. If no other night would work I would ask

for a refund and not endure the torture.

No matter what I'm not going to sit through a meal with

my ears bleeding and quietly seething when I'm on vacation.

I don't know why having the table hosted by the captain would make it awkward for you to complain. I most certainly would have asked to be moved to a quieter table. Wouldn't you have done that in a land based restaurant? If I couldn't be moved I would have asked to come another night or for a refund. The staff is there to make the dining experience pleasant for everyone.

We were on the November 29th. sailing of Oasis of the Seas. On the Thursday, the second formal night - we had reservations at Chops Grill for 8:30pm. We had looked forward to this dinner all week, it was the only specialty dining meal we were able to do. Hoped for a wonderful evening with great food and service.

We were seated along a wall at a table for two. Banquette seating on one side, chair on the other. There were three tables for two in a row. Directly behind us was a large table for nine. DH and I pretty much sat down at the same time as the large table. Two of the men at that large table were EXTREMELY LOUD. I am talking give me a headache and make my ears bleed loud! And obnoxious as well - boasting about ordering a full lobster and a steak, telling about how awesome they were on the flowrider, complaining that he was Pinnacle and didn't get an invite to something. It was like they were yelling to make sure that everyone at their table listened to only them. And they never shut up. Seriously, when one man was eating, the guy on the other side of the table started his performance. This ruined the meal for us. I could hardly hear my husband to hold a conversation with him. I am not exaggerating - it was truly awful.

So what should we have done? The wait staff were well aware that all the surrounding people were upset with this table.

Here is the kicker. This table was being hosted by the Captain. As you can imagine, this made complaining very awkward for us. So we said nothing.

I did mention it on my guest survey, but got no response from RCI. I really feel that it was the Captain's job to keep his guests in line. A simple comment about how much fun everyone was having, but let us be mindful of those around us, would have quieted things down. Over all it really put a damper on our evening. When the bill arrived, they had only charged us for one $35 meal, saying that because it was formal night there was a special. I am guessing that they realized that our enjoyment of our meal had been compromised. Even with one meal free, we still felt that we wasted our money on a lousy evening.

So, what would you have done? Complained at the meal to the restaurant manager? Couldn't ask to be reseated as the restaurant was full. So awkward. :mad:

7 years ago we were at a table hosted by the captain in Chops on the Navigator. we drank a lot of wine, and we were having a blast. I am thinking we were too loud that night. Fortunately, we ate pretty late, after 9pm so by the time we finished there were not many people in the restaurant. What I am trying to say is it happens.

On our recent river cruise, due to the nature of the dining room, low ceilings, and glass on both sides and it only being about 25 feet wide, it was extremely loud. It was hard every night to carry on a conversation.

Are you sure jealousy, also, impacted your meal. Just pointing out human nature.:D

jc

The captain is there sort of as a treat to those guests at the table...I highly doubt it's good PR for him to start telling folks to keep their voices down.

I would have just asked if there was a more private or quiet location to be moved to. If not and it's really that big a deal, come back later. I mean no offense but I think the only thing holding you back here was your own disinclination to cause any work. There's a difference between a reasonable request and being an obnoxious customer.

I did mention it on my guest survey, but got no response from RCI.:mad:

For what little its worth, it may be too soon to say you got no response. That department is pretty slow and their are thousands to look at. I would imagine when one has something worth examining its passed on. Maybe you will hear soemthing.

the fact that the Captain hosted is irrelevant and the Captain probably thought it would be impolite to make any sort of comment.

( and would have fallen on deaf ears anyway)

I would have asked to be moved to a table further away from the offending table as the staff have no control over the actions of other guests. it would not have helped, probably, as far as noise, but it would have made it clear that you consiodered the blowhards to be obnoxious without direct confrontation

if I could not be reseated, it would have been a judgement call as to whether or not we walked out.

I think that getting half off your bill on a formal night when the place was packed was a tacit acknowledgement of the situation and I woudl have been satisfied with that.

WOW. I certainly don't know the OP nor the situation well enough to suggest s/he was JEALOUS and had no social life :eek: Sheeeeeesh, judgmental much?

OP: You asked what we would have done: been there done that and I'd be suprised (as suggested by another poster) that free flowing wine wasn't at least in part responsible for the increased the volume at that table. I'm glad they were having fun, but loud, boisterous and large tables in a more "intimate" venue like Chops does certainly ruin the mood for other diners. A big reason I go to CHOPS is for the ambiance. I believe I'd have weighed my options and first asked for a different table (I've done that before). If no other tables were available, I guess I'd have to decide whether to leave, or stay and soldier through it. However, if moving weren't an option, I'd have asked to speak to the restaurant manager and/or F&B if necessary. The fact that it was the Captain at the table wouldn't have mattered a bit to me. As I see it, essentially, you and I indirectly pay his salary through the $$ we spend on our cruises. I can see how HE might feel it awkward to ask the diners to pipe down (politely of course), but you shouldn't have to "get through" a dinner you looked forward to.

I agree the half off was "adequate" but not outstanding service recovery.

Original poster here. Wow. Some of you people are really mean and harsh. Trust me, there was no envy or jealousy on our part. In fact, just a couple of cruises ago on Freedom we ate at the Captains table. It was a lovely evening. Polite, interesting conversation. No loud voices. Everyone enjoyed themselves without ruining the dining experience of others.

DH and I are not the kind of people to complain. As I stated clearly in my original post - the RESTAURANT WAS FULL! There were no other seats available. If we had walked out, we also would have gone without dinner.

We are 100% loyal to Royal. This was cruise number 20 for us. We have never cruised another line. I guess I was expecting too much that the restaurant should have handled this obvious issue without requiring direct complaints.

Mods please feel free to close this thread. I really don't need to be directly insulted and told I have no social life.

Chops has tables both inside and outside of the restaurant. Just because the inside was full doesn't mean there are not tables available outside. In your position, I would have simply asked the restaurant manager to please move us to a table outside the restaurant because the noise from the other table was bothersome - outside should definitely be a quieter location. If they couldn't move you out there, then I would have asked the manager to cancel our orders and refund the money. Really, the staff in Chops will usually do all they can to help you. Never be afraid to ask for help in this manner. The restaurant manager wants all patrons to have a good time.

WOW, what a bummer, this is a sticky situation. I don't know what the manager would have done if you had something to him or if the table didn't have the captain dining. I'm not sure what they do with the comments on the survey and how they are routed to the appropriate people but that's something that would be nice to know.

Unfortunately, these do happen -- we spent $440 on a dinner at Ramsay's in Las Vegas with a roomful of men including the restaurant manager who were not only loud but also cussing and using vulgar language and when we complained nothing was done -- not a comp, free desert, nothing. At least they did compensate you albeit a small amount which doesn't really make up for the enjoyment of a peaceful dinner.

I have learned my lesson for next time -- I will request to sit away from big groups -- even if I have to wait longer, I will be pickier about where I sit. Hopefully this won't happen to you again.