Fire onboard Oceania Insignia kills three

sppunk

I had spent an entire summer on that beautiful ship a few years back and am deeply saddened to learn of the fire and the loss of life.

Insignia is the "R-ship" that had left the Oceania fleet for a couple of years. It had been chartered by a Germany company (Hapag-Lloyd) and returned to Oceania in 2014...in May if I remember correctly.

Yes it just returned to the fleet and was totally refurbished as were the other R class ships. Decor and amenities were upgraded to be in line with the O class. We are on a 24 day Insignia itinerary next year.

The events in St Lucia broke our hearts. Sometimes we forget how dangerous some of the crew jobs are. Recently a couple of tender guys were killed when something went wrong lifting the tender back on the ship. I think it was on Princess.

Our news reports, thus far, have been quite sketchy, but I understand that there was a fire on an Oceania cruise ship, and that crew members and contractors have been either injured or killed. Can any CC members direct me to a reliable news site so I can be informed of this tragedy?

Also, as I'm not really a seasoned or experienced cruiser, can anyone confirm that there seems to be a growing number of incidents (fires, in particular) on cruise ships? These fires, of course, are hazardous and dangerous to both crew and passengers. At my age, I recognize that there is risk in everything we do. I don't panic, but it would be nice to know if the risk in travelling (ie. cruising) is on the increase.

Our news reports, thus far, have been quite sketchy, but I understand that there was a fire on an Oceania cruise ship, and that crew members and contractors have been either injured or killed. Can any CC members direct me to a reliable news site so I can be informed of this tragedy?

Also, as I'm not really a seasoned or experienced cruiser, can anyone confirm that there seems to be a growing number of incidents (fires, in particular) on cruise ships? These fires, of course, are hazardous and dangerous to both crew and passengers. At my age, I recognize that there is risk in everything we do. I don't panic, but it would be nice to know if the risk in travelling (ie. cruising) is on the increase.

The Oceania board here on CC has updated information and linked news articles.

Like any small community, there are deaths and fires as an occurrence of life and death. It is very sad at all times but perhaps a bit more so when on a ship as the victim is likely far away from their loved ones.

When you put 3,000 + people on a ship, in a hotel or any large accommodation, there will be deaths. Oceania is not that large a ship but still the point is the same.

It is a very sore loss and surely all who take to ships are saddened to hear about this incident.

It's not so much that they are happening more now ... just that they are reported by the news media way more than they once were.

LuLu

It's not so much that they are happening more now ... just that they are reported by the news media way more than they once were.

LuLu

Yes, I think you are right plus there are more ships and larger ships carrying so many more crew and passengers.

today, when the Captain farts someone has it posted on FaceBook b4 they can say excuse me.

It takes much less to get on the news and be memorable today ...

How many remember that RCL's MONARCH once hit a big rock and was going to sink until the Master intentionally ran the ship aground and everyone was then removed to shore???? It happened b4 FaceBook and you tube . . . Dec 1998

http://marinecasualty.com/documents/monarch.pdf

Executive Summary

At approximately 0030 hours on the night of 15 December 1998, the passenger vessel

MONARCH OF THE SEAS arrived outside of Great Bay, St. Maarten in order to evacuate a

sick passenger to a shore side medical facility. At 0125 the vessel’s crew completed the

passenger evacuation evolution and the MONARCH OF THE SEAS departed St. Maarten,

taking a South-Southeasterly departure route with the intention of safely passing to the east of the Proselyte reef obstruction. At approximately 0130 hours the MONARCH OF THE SEAS raked the Proselyte Reef at an approximate speed of about 12 knots without becoming permanently stranded. Almost immediately emergency and abandon ship signals were sounded and the crew and passengers were mustered at their abandon ship stations. At 0235 the vessel was intentionally grounded on a sandbar in Great Bay, St. Maarten. By 0515 hours all 2,557 passengers were safely evacuated ashore by shore based tender vessels.

Don't get me wrong ... this incident and the loss of life is serious . . but in 1998 it probably would not have made the evening news because of the lack of video! Ever wonder why you see so many news stories of CG rescues of folks off cruise ships today as compared to 10 years ago? 'cus the CG installed video cameras in all their helo's . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

today, when the Captain farts someone has it posted on FaceBook b4 they can say excuse me.

It takes much less to get on the news and be memorable today ...

How many remember that RCL's MONARCH once hit a big rock and was going to sink until the Master intentionally ran the ship aground and everyone was then removed to shore???? It happened b4 FaceBook and you tube . . . Dec 1998

http://marinecasualty.com/documents/monarch.pdf

Executive Summary

At approximately 0030 hours on the night of 15 December 1998, the passenger vessel

MONARCH OF THE SEAS arrived outside of Great Bay, St. Maarten in order to evacuate a

sick passenger to a shore side medical facility. At 0125 the vessel’s crew completed the

passenger evacuation evolution and the MONARCH OF THE SEAS departed St. Maarten,

taking a South-Southeasterly departure route with the intention of safely passing to the east of the Proselyte reef obstruction. At approximately 0130 hours the MONARCH OF THE SEAS raked the Proselyte Reef at an approximate speed of about 12 knots without becoming permanently stranded. Almost immediately emergency and abandon ship signals were sounded and the crew and passengers were mustered at their abandon ship stations. At 0235 the vessel was intentionally grounded on a sandbar in Great Bay, St. Maarten. By 0515 hours all 2,557 passengers were safely evacuated ashore by shore based tender vessels.

Agree .... We have been cruising since 1961 and back then things like you described never made the news.

Now, there is so many more cruising that almost anything unfortunate that happens on a cruise ship makes Headline News. :rolleyes:

LuLu

There is another thread on Page 2 of this board about the Oceania fire with 25 posts on it.. IMO your post should have been posted there instead of starting another thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2136954

Edited by serendipity1499

There is another thread on Page 2 of this board about the Oceania fire with 25 posts on it.. IMO your post should have been posted there instead of starting another thread..

Please keep in mind the OP is basically asking if there are more fires, etc. on cruise ships now than there once were....

LuLu

Please keep in mind the OP is basically asking if there are more fires, etc. on cruise ships now than there once were....

LuLu

Please keep in mind that the OP's first paragraph states this:

Quote Our news reports, thus far, have been quite sketchy, but I understand that there was a fire on an Oceania cruise ship, and that crew members and contractors have been either injured or killed. Can any CC members direct me to a reliable news site so I can be informed of this tragedy? Unquote

My opinion still stands as this is a HAL board with two threads about the Oceania fire..The same question could have also been asked on the original thread../SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

Thank you for pointing out my error. If I live long enough to post in excess of 8000 posts, I likely won't make the same error, again. Suffice to say, I'm relatively inexperienced with CC forums, but this old-timer is learning something new everyday.

Thank you for pointing out my error. If I live long enough to post in excess of 8000 posts, I likely won't make the same error, again. Suffice to say, I'm relatively inexperienced with CC forums, but this old-timer is learning something new everyday.

Aw, don't worry Glenn: you're doing fine. We're all the way on Page 3 of this thread, and it's way past the usual time for nitpicking, arguing and bitchiness to kick in. Don't take it personally. :)

I read the thread on the Oceania board.

The passengers that posted seem very impressed with how Oceania handled everything.

Certainly, they did everything they could and that includes emptying safety deposit boxes for the passengers and delivering them in specially sealed bags.

It is a true tragedy that lives were lost.

The Oceania board is quite impressive with the cancellation of the upcoming cruise. Their statement "A cruise can be replaced, lives can't"

It's a very eye opening thread, worthy of a read IMO.

For anyone who hasn't been checking this thread on Oceania

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2136877

There are a couple really good posts by passengers "rubric" - a good lesson for us if it ever happens - Post 123 and "Globevest" - a very touching story of a hero -Post 128

Thank you for posting the link. I just read some of the posts, and I sure hope that "Dr. S" gets the recognition she truly deserves. There are some very good people in this world.

Loss of lives is always tragic and horrible to everyone involved, but it's lucky they were in port. The ship could have been at sea, adrift with injured and dead crew aboard and a possible evacuation.

This is going to generate more doubt about the safety of cruising.

-Paul