Freedom Heading back to Port Canaveral

This poor ship has had its share of difficulties lately. Tonight, however, it was a child who needed to be hospitalized, so we headed back to Grand Cayman to get her to a hospital. No Cozumel, but that's fine - just hope the child will be OK.

Captain hopes/plans on being back in Port Canaveral on time Sunday morning.

for the question re: Port charges. If you mean charges for excursions, of course they were refunded. I don't know of any other "charges" there would be. Next week's schedule? I don't have a clue. Whatever you are told by RCI, I guess.

We're all fine on board here. The nine-month-old girl was taken directly to surgery on Grand Cayman. No updates yet. Hoping she's fine.

We are having this day as a sea day. One more sea day and we'll be back in port - I'm guessing on time: 5 a.m.

for the question re: Port charges. If you mean charges for excursions, of course they were refunded. I don't know of any other "charges" there would be.

Port charges are the fee per passenger that the cruiseline pays to the port authority (in this case, Cozumel). When you pay the “taxes and fees” on top of your cruise fare, port charges are part of that. If a ship misses a port, they usually refund everyone what the port charge was for that port. I don't think they're required to do it, but most of the time, they do as a goodwill gesture. And it benefits them anyway, since they typically refund it as OBC which you can spend at the bar or whatever else you're doing onboard instead of being onshore.

Btw, have you heard anything about the itinerary for next weeks sailing? We are on it and not sure if we need to make any adjustments to our plans or if everything is staying as scheduled. Thx!

Are you part of the roll call? I don't believe anyone in that roll call has heard anything officially yet.

Btw, have you heard anything about the itinerary for next weeks sailing? We are on it and not sure if we need to make any adjustments to our plans or if everything is staying as scheduled. Thx!

I just spoke to C and A. the 12/14 sailing will not be stopping in Coco Cay.

They are going straight to St Thomas and will be there 7 - 7. St. Martin will be 8 - 1pm

FYI, the Marinetraffic.com status of Freedom is more than 12 hours old, it did show a turn around going back to Grand Caymen. A person in this week's roll call reported the child was to be taken ashore in Grand Caymen. I'm speculating that this might cause them to miss Cozumel totally. I guess they might take a slower than normal trip back to Port Canaveral?

Edited by BillOh

I just spoke to C and A. the 12/14 sailing will not be stopping in Coco Cay.

They are going straight to St Thomas and will be there 7 - 7. St. Martin will be 8 - 1pm

Thanks for that info

So that makes a 7 night cruise with just 2 stops? :eek: I feel bad for the first time cruisers,( having the change in scheduling) as well as those working in guest services (having to hear the complaints)! I guess since it is so far in advance it is not weather/sea conditions but rather the propulsion issues. Will you let us know if you are offered any type of compensation for the planned but last minute change since is not weather related or an emergency passenger issue.

We are supposed to sail Coco Cay, Montego Bay, Cayman Island, Cozumel on the Dec 28 sailing . I am anticipating one stop to be cancelled.

Good luck

M

Thanks for that info

So that makes a 7 night cruise with just 2 stops? :eek: I feel bad for the first time cruisers,( having the change in scheduling) as well as those working in guest services (having to hear the complaints)! I guess since it is so far in advance it is not weather/sea conditions but rather the propulsion issues. Will you let us know if you are offered any type of compensation for the planned but last minute change since is not weather related or an emergency passenger issue.

We are supposed to sail Coco Cay, Montego Bay, Cayman Island, Cozumel on the Dec 28 sailing . I am anticipating one stop to be cancelled.

Good luck

M

We are not on the 12/14 sailing. We are on the 12/21 which is Labadee (maybe) St, Juan and St. Martin. St. Martin is our last stop just like the 12/14 sailing so I am sure our time there will only by 8 - 1pm. They have no official notification of our sailing. Heck that's 10 days away.

I still have not heard if anyone on the current 12/7 is getting any compensation. ( I know they don't have to give anything)

We are not on the 12/14 sailing. We are on the 12/21 which is Labadee (maybe) St, Juan and St. Martin. St. Martin is our last stop just like the 12/14 sailing so I am sure our time there will only by 8 - 1pm. They have no official notification of our sailing. Heck that's 10 days away.

I still have not heard if anyone on the current 12/7 is getting any compensation. ( I know they don't have to give anything)

Thanks and best wishes for good weather and smooth seas for your cruise.

m

We missed Coco Cay last month while on the Majesty, and they did not refund us our port charges. Three weeks ago we missed Half Moon Cay while on the Eurodam, and HAL refunded us our port charges!

Just out of curiousity, I wonder if there aren't any port charges for CoCo Cay since it's owned by RCI?

From what I've read on here Coco Cay is part of the Bahamas and the Bahams groups all their port fees together so if you are scheduled to go to. Nassau and Coco Cay and you miss Coco Cay there will not be a reduction in charges.

RCI does not own Coco Cay but instead has a long term lease on the island.

I was on the Freedom Dec. 7 - just got off on Sunday. We got nothing for missing Cozumel. Just glad the little girl is ok. Last we were told she had surgery and is now in intensive care at a hospital in Miami.

Thank God. Glad she made it to a U.S. hospital. I can't imagine being in another non American hospital.