Do you have to have a passport to enter the island?

cinderbella

All of our other cruises were satisfied with certified birth certificates/drivers licenses - but people are saying that St. Maarten requires a passport. Is this true?

Yes, yes, I know people will tell me that we *should* have passports in case something happens and we need to be flown home............but we live dangerously. ;)

We learned the hard way not to bring anything other than sea/sail cards. RCCL told us to bring id plus sea/sail cards at our first stop which was st maarten and husband lost our drivers licenses in the ocean (didn't zip fanny pack). Luckily it wasn't passports but it was annoying because we couldn't rent car in 2 other islands plus almost missed ship from st Maarten. Let alone picking up rental car in port Canaveral. Husband is preferred avis member so we were allowed to get car :D Anyway, in the future, I strongly suggest making copies to take OFF of ship to rent or for id or whatever. If renting a car at port and car company giving you a problem, rent car with actual driver's license and go back to ship and put card back in your room safe, but keep paper copy with you.

Edited by jean87510

We learned the hard way not to bring anything other than sea/sail cards. RCCL told us to bring id plus sea/sail cards at our first stop which was st maarten and husband lost our drivers licenses in the ocean (didn't zip fanny pack). Luckily it wasn't passports but it was annoying because we couldn't rent car in 2 other islands plus almost missed ship from st Maarten. Let alone picking up rental car in port Canaveral. Husband is preferred avis member so we were allowed to get car :D Anyway, in the future, I strongly suggest making copies to take OFF of ship to rent or for id or whatever. If renting a car at port and car company giving you a problem, rent car with actual driver's license and go back to ship and put card back in your room safe, but keep paper copy with you.

Don't you just hate when the DH forgets to zip it :D

• 3 weeks later...
St. Maarten does not require passports of cruise visitors; airline passengers are another matter entirely. If you're cruising with a BC per the WHTI rules, St. Maarten accepts that.

Don't listen to your hairdresser. At embarkation your BC will be checked by cruise personnel then you put the BC in the safe until debarkation.

So glad to hear you both confirming this info. Relatives of ours who are cruising with us at the end of this month lost their passports when they moved into their new home. I did contact HAL and the rep said a BC was acceptable but I am ALWAYS leary about info that they provide since we have gotten burned a few times with conflicting or wrong info. Kind of sad that I have more faith in CC than in cruise reps. Thanks again

All of our other cruises were satisfied with certified birth certificates/drivers licenses - but people are saying that St. Maarten requires a passport. Is this true?

Yes, yes, I know people will tell me that we *should* have passports in case something happens and we need to be flown home............but we live dangerously. ;)

NO!! A passport is not required for a cruise pax to visit the either side of the island.