Solo Travelers on HAL

mame42

I didn't say I was uncomfortable.

The point of my post is that cabin size/location isn't one of the things that matters to me one way or the other. If it did matter -- if I felt I was suffering in some way for it -- I wouldn't book it.

Good knowledgeable guides on tours matter to me. Good food matters to me. An excellent lecturer onboard ship thrills me.

Cabin size and location -- not so much.

I didn't say you did say it was uncomfortable. To me, it would be. You most certainly don't need to agree.

Edited by cruz chic

Now I am confused. Have we missed something.... We do not get extra points as a couple, we each get our own points.

No, you get your own, plus you get the other person's, too.

For every $300 in on-board spending, a solo gets one extra day awarded (up to the number of days in the cruise). For every $300 in on-board spending, a couple gets one day each. That's twice as many days awarded for the equivalent amount of money.

If I spend $600 in on-board spending, I get 2 days; if you spend $300 each, you and your spouse each get 2 days---that's four days awarded.

Have you see the location of those single cabins?

A place where there is nothing else they could reasonably put there.

Do not count on a quiet, comfortable cabin if you book out into the bow where they were dropped in.

No way I'd book one of them.

Agreed! What my grandchildren would call "Harry Potter" cabins.

I'm the opposite way. My comfort means more to me than money. Nothing wrong with either style.

I didn't say you did say it was uncomfortable. To me, it would be. You most certainly don't need to agree.

Sorry if I misinterpreted, but when you make the statement "My comfort means more to me than money," you are implying that there are others for whom money is more important than their comfort. Since you quoted me in your response, I fairly naturally assumed you were directing it toward me. Thus, I wanted to clarify.

Edited by cruisemom42

Sorry if I misinterpreted, but when you make the statement "My comfort means more to me than money," you are implying that there are others for whom money is more important than their comfort. Since you quoted me in your response, I fairly naturally assumed you were directing it toward me. Thus, I wanted to clarify.

No, there were others on the thread that expressed that they didn't care for those rooms. I'm not an English major so if I didn't phrase that correctly you'll need to excuse that.

Have you see the location of those single cabins?

A place where there is nothing else they could reasonably put there.

Do not count on a quiet, comfortable cabin if you book out into the bow where they were dropped in.

No way I'd book one of them.

I'm the opposite way. My comfort means more to me than money. Nothing wrong with either style.

Not everyone can afford to spend for a higher-end cabin, especially when traveling solo. For the first cruise I ever took, I signed up for a single-share inside broom closet, as that was what was somewhat affordable to me. I was thrilled beyond words to end up alone in a cabin with a porthole -- I was in the furthest forward cabin on (IIRC) the lowest passenger deck. That didn't bother me at all. I was on a ship, doing something I wanted to do, going somewhere I wanted to go. And I could see outside :D

I still don't mind those far-forward cabins. :)

Why is that? I would think that it would be fairly logical that they would give those extra benefits to someone who is paying double - or almost double. Of course, if the OBC is for the room that makes sense, but if it is per person, I don't see why a single couldn't get double:)...

Absolutely. If travelling solo and paying for two, is there anything stopping you booking for A.N. Other (who would be a no show, of course)?

I guess there must be, or that's what everyone would do.

Is there someway to book a room as a single sharing. I know some people may be uncomfortable sharing a room with someone they don't know but some people are more adventurous and might like the idea. That way singles could cruise without the disadvantage of paying double.

Fran, I haven't looked recently but cabin share bookings were available as far back as I can remember, someone will know if they still are. I've been a solo traveler on HAL for many decades, never done a share.

One thing that does irk me a bit on HAL is how difficult it to find cruises with single supplements less than 200%. I paid less than 200% for Alaska last year on Statendam and considerably less for January 2 Maasdam, but the choices are fewer and fewer. With me it's a matter of principle, not money.

Not everyone can afford to spend for a higher-end cabin, especially when traveling solo. For the first cruise I ever took, I signed up for a single-share inside broom closet, as that was what was somewhat affordable to me. I was thrilled beyond words to end up alone in a cabin with a porthole -- I was in the furthest forward cabin on (IIRC) the lowest passenger deck. That didn't bother me at all. I was on a ship, doing something I wanted to do, going somewhere I wanted to go. And I could see outside :D

We all get to make choices.

There ARE other cabins solos can book other than higher-end. One can book any cabin on the ship (aside from HC) if they wish. If they don't want an inside, they can book an obstructed view, or an outside, or a lanai, or a verandah and up.

I would not wish to be in the bow of the ship I wouldn't be comfortable, I wouldn't like anchor chain noise, waves slapping the hull, rough ride and and and........ Anyone who doesn't mind, GREAT. All the more power to them. I do not applaud HAL for taking bows for adding solo cabins seeing this was 'wasted space' they could use for nothing else. IMO.....

Good for you.:) I don't think I would be able to be so far forward, however. I have difficulty being near the bow in rough seas, so wouldn't like to try a cabin in that location.

Is there someway to book a room as a single sharing. I know some people may be uncomfortable sharing a room with someone they don't know but some people are more adventurous and might like the idea. That way singles could cruise without the disadvantage of paying double.

At least until a couple of years ago, yes it was possible to do a Guaranteed Share. I haven't checked lately, so don't know about the program currently.

A couple of years ago, though, there had been a dramatic change in that program. Previously, the single paid the standard per person, double occupancy rate. If there was no roomie found, you got the cabin to yourself for no extra charge.

But a while back that rate was increased. The single paid well I excess of the per person, double occupancy rate. So did the roomie, if one was found, so that HAL received much more than the rate a couple would pay for the same cabin. For many, it became too expensive for what you got out of it, if you ended up sharing a cabin with a stranger.

Several years ago I did do the Guaranteed Share a few times, and was quite satisfied. But I won't do it at the rates HAL charged a couple of years ago. There was very little savings over just paying double.

I've spend many, many days in an inside cabin. For what BS I have to put up in my daily life I do want to enjoy myself. I do like to treat myself and I've earned it. I don't think to many people would want to change places with me job wise.

Absolutely. If travelling solo and paying for two, is there anything stopping you booking for A.N. Other (who would be a no show, of course)?

I guess there must be, or that's what everyone would do.

See the posts above. Last winter I booked an NCL cruise with a roommate. At the last moment she cancelled due to pneumonia. NCL tried to charge me an extra $1100 for the "no show" on top of the double rate that I had already put on my credit card, expecting my roomie to reimburse me. Thank heavens for a pitbull of a travel agent, who fought that battle for me. Never again.

We all get to make choices.

There ARE other cabins solos can book other than higher-end. One can book any cabin on the ship (aside from HC) if they wish. If they don't want an inside, they can book an obstructed view, or an outside, or a lanai, or a verandah and up.

I would not wish to be in the bow of the ship I wouldn't be comfortable, I wouldn't like anchor chain noise, waves slapping the hull, rough ride and and and........ Anyone who doesn't mind, GREAT. All the more power to them. I do not applaud HAL for taking bows for adding solo cabins seeing this was 'wasted space' they could use for nothing else. IMO.....

Sail, no argument from me. I agree we all have choices BUT....

if you are solo, it makes a huge difference in the cost.

Choices may be restricted by monetary means or the desire to spend those monetary means.

I know for us some of our choices have been expensive as a couple. I couldn't fathom paying double for that as a solo.

We all have choices but we can't always make them;)

Sail, no argument from me. I agree we all have choices BUT....

if you are solo, it makes a huge difference in the cost.

Choices may be restricted by monetary means or the desire to spend those monetary means.

I know for us some of our choices have been expensive as a couple. I couldn't fathom paying double for that as a solo.

We all have choices but we can't always make them;)

:confused: Jacqui,

Of course, I know solo's pay double. I am newly solo and will make my choices (same as everyone) as to what is worth how much to me. The prices I have been quoted for my late DH and my usual cabins are very high. Only I can decide if they are worth it to me. :)

Perhaps you forgot I likely would know the realities of booking solo??

Edited by sail7seas

:confused: Jacqui,

Of course, I know solo's pay double. I am newly solo and will make my choices (same as everyone) as to what is worth how much to me. The prices I have been quoted for my late DH and my usual cabins are very high. Only I can decide if they are worth it to me. :)

Perhaps you forgot I likely would know the realities of booking solo??

I would hardly forget that Judy. my heart remains with you for what you are going through.

What I am trying to say (and I guess I didn't do it well) is that others don't have the same choices. Some are restricted by their monetary means.

Everyone's choices are restricted by what they can afford. that's all I was trying to say.

I know they charge double- but well - one person buy´s a lot less then two in the cabin and so I thing I would do the same- same goes for Hotelrooms- I have never heard a complain there.

What I absolutly don´t get is the issue with wine- why on earth some bring their own wine is beyond me! There are so many wine options on board?

It can´t be , because it is cheaper to bring ones one right??

Well we brought everything when we went to camp ground when we were kids...!

I know they charge double- but well - one person buy´s a lot less then two in the cabin and so I thing I would do the same- same goes for Hotelrooms- I have never heard a complain there.

What I absolutly don´t get is the issue with wine- why on earth some bring their own wine is beyond me! There are so many wine options on board?

It can´t be , because it is cheaper to bring ones one right??

Well we brought everything when we went to camp ground when we were kids...!

Because so many people think hals wine is plonk. I'm sure at lease a small segment is cheap. I never used to bring a bottle on but I do sometimes. I enjoy a glass on my balcony at night. That said, I poured most of my brought on bottle down the drain last cruise. That hurts.

Often, people in the real world simply don't have "choices" - they do what they have to do, and grin and bear it.:(

Amen.

Don't we all? I don't know anyone who has a 'free ride' through life with no pain, heartache, illness, worries......

Isn't that why many of us love to cruise? To get away and forget our problems for a brief (or not so brief :) while?

I emailed comments to both Guest Relations and Mariner Society regarding discrimination (magic word) toward solo pax paying full price; I received nice replies from both in a short period of time. I urge all solo cruisers to do the same; it only takes a few minutes, and we will have, at least, put our concerns in writing.