Cuba Reforms Developing - Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

falkcor

Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want Carnival to Sail to Cuba?

• Yes - I would book an itinerary just to sail to Cuba
    • Maybe - I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't book just to sail to Cuba
    • No - I have no interest in sailing to Cuba and wouldn't book an itinerary that did

I would absolutely 100% book a cruise to go to Cuba. Yes, tourists from other countries have been allowed to visit and such, but Cuba has not been "Disneyfied" like so many other Caribbean ports with simulations of old time port towns inside of fenced enclaves. I'd love to see a new country.

For those saying Cuba has nothing to offer....Cuba is 2/3rds the size of Florida. That would be like landing in Orlando, going to Disney World, leaving, and saying there is nothing in Florida but a mouse house.

Just to set the record straight there is already a cruiseline that sails out from Cuba to other Caribbean ports. Needless to say it isn't marketed to Americans.

People from around the world have been travelling to Cuba for an inexpensive vacation for many years. Needless to say not marketed to Americans.

Cubans have suffered significantly over the years because of the sanctions imposed by the United States...a tiny little country. Meanwhile Americans seem perfectly willing court business ties and buy all kinds of goods from other communist countries with atrocious respect for human rights...of course China is the big one. Some people don't understand. Of course it's just politics. That may be why so many people don't like politicians.

I have visited the country and agree that it is quite beautiful and the people are mostly friendly. But because of the politics it is very uncomfortable once you realize the only people who can actually make more money are the people who deal directly with tourists and get tips. Otherwise everyone is on the government payroll and they earn very little. They have very little. Even if they have some money the goods often aren't available to buy. Generally this would somehow have to change before I could envision a influx of American tourists who were able to enjoy themselves.

If you do get to visit , it will be a new experience for most of you, which of course is good. I cannot believe that it will happen anytime soon. If you do have the opportunity, you have to remember that the people have been oppressed by their government for generations now. Their perspective would be significantly different than those of us in the rest of this continent.

Although there will be a lot of cruisers who will absolutely enjoy and appreciate Cuba for what it truly is, IMHO a lot of cruisers will also be disappointed because it won't be like the cookie-cutter, Americanized, fake tourist trap destinations that Carnival, and other cruise lines, love to build and many cruisers seem to enjoy these days.

Places like Belize, Progreso, La Romana, and even San Juan seem to draw the most polarizing and negative reviews. Why? Because you get to experience what these places are truly like the moment you set foot on dry land, or just a few feet away from the cruise area.

Let's face it. Many cruisers are not ready for reality, and they won't be ready for Cuba. These places don't have elaborate, pretty, and safe looking Welcome Centers with familiar chain restaurants, bars and shops. Many cruisers don't even venture beyond the areas immediately adjacent to the cruise terminal and will then come back here and trash an entire country because there wasn't a Margaritaville within view, or because they were "forced" to experience what these countries are truly like, or how their people really live, or where they truly shop and eat, or what the infrastructure truly looks like.

If cruise ships with American tourists start calling in Cuba, the experience will be more similar to what cruising used to be like in its infancy. It will be a wonderful experience for many, but a lot of the "cookie cutter destination, Margaritaville-Señor Frog's-Carlos and Charlie's loving" cruisers will be sorely disappointed. Cuba will be for travelers, not for tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Although there will be a lot of cruisers who will absolutely enjoy and appreciate Cuba for what it truly is, IMHO a lot of cruisers will also be disappointed because it won't be like the cookie-cutter, Americanized, fake tourist trap destinations that Carnival, and other cruise lines, love to build and many cruisers seem to enjoy these days.

Places like Belize, Progreso, La Romana, and even San Juan seem to draw the most polarizing and negative reviews. Why? Because you get to experience what these places are truly like the moment you set foot on dry land, or just a few feet away from the cruise area.

Let's face it. Many cruisers are not ready for reality, and they won't be ready for Cuba. These places don't have elaborate, pretty, and safe looking Welcome Centers with familiar chain restaurants, bars and shops. Many cruisers don't even venture beyond the areas immediately adjacent to the cruise terminal and will then come back here and trash an entire country because there wasn't a Margaritaville within view, or because they were "forced" to experience what these countries are truly like, or how their people really live, or where they truly shop and eat, or what the infrastructure truly looks like.

If cruise ships with American tourists start calling in Cuba, the experience will be more similar to what cruising used to be like in its infancy. It will be a wonderful experience for many, but a lot of the "cookie cutter destination, Margaritaville-Señor Frog's-Carlos and Charlie's loving" cruisers will be sorely disappointed. Cuba will be for travelers, not for tourists.

The newness of a destination in our backyard (that has been and currently is....for the most part anyway... out of bounds) will be a significant draw. While this "loosening" of travel restrictions has begun, we are still a ways (maybe a long ways) off from a total removal. I had a conversation with someone at the New York Times Travel show this year representing Cuba and was saying they could get people Visa's on a certain clause (I can't remember what it was, but it was along the lines of education and humanitarian).

That image of Cuba sounds very appealing to me, as a traveler and not a tourist. I much prefer seeing real-life in other countries, even when it isn't pretty or pleasant by U.S. standards. However, I don't know if cruisers would see the real Cuba and hear what life is really like.

I don't think I could stomach traveling to a place where the people are prevented from leaving or from speaking the truth or accessing the internet, much less earning money for their work. It is important not to romanticize the enforced isolation from the world. It may be beautiful and interesting, but it is a prison for the people born there. I don't expect that tourist dollars would go to the average Cuban, and certainly not those who speak their minds. My husband and I are not very good at keeping our mouths shut and would probably get ourselves or the Cubans we talked to in serious trouble. I understand that our government is hypocritical in their relations with China, but I also will not visit China for the same reasons.

That image of Cuba sounds very appealing to me, as a traveler and not a tourist. I much prefer seeing real-life in other countries, even when it isn't pretty or pleasant by U.S. standards. However, I don't know if cruisers would see the real Cuba and hear what life is really like.

I don't think I could stomach traveling to a place where the people are prevented from leaving or from speaking the truth or accessing the internet, much less earning money for their work. It is important not to romanticize the enforced isolation from the world. It may be beautiful and interesting, but it is a prison for the people born there. I don't expect that tourist dollars would go to the average Cuban, and certainly not those who speak their minds. My husband and I are not very good at keeping our mouths shut and would probably get ourselves or the Cubans we talked to in serious trouble. I understand that our government is hypocritical in their relations with China, but I also will not visit China for the same reasons.

Sadly, I cannot think of many (read that as any) where the tourist dollars go the people who need it (unless it is the tourist handing it to them directly). Not many places like the good ole US of A on the rights perspective as well.

It is interesting to hear so many people saying that they could not visit Cuba because it is not a "free" country for its citizens.All the other democratic countries of the world allow their citizens to travel there as they please. It is only we who are "free" in the USA who are not allowed to visit if we choose unless we go on very expensive educational tours.

Folks visit China and don't say they won't go there until all the political dissidents are freed from jail.

Folks visit Russia and don't say anything about the way they do business there. It is interesting that only Cuba is treated this way. It is mostly because of the Cuban refugees whose political bloc wants to punish the regime there. We have had these rules in place for decades and it hasn't made anything change in Cuba. Only fools keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a new result soooo maybe it is time to try something different ??

It is interesting to hear so many people saying that they could not visit Cuba because it is not a "free" country for its citizens.All the other democratic countries of the world allow their citizens to travel there as they please. It is only we who are "free" in the USA who are not allowed to visit if we choose unless we go on very expensive educational tours.

Folks visit China and don't say they won't go there until all the political dissidents are freed from jail.

Folks visit Russia and don't say anything about the way they do business there. It is interesting that only Cuba is treated this way. It is mostly because of the Cuban refugees whose political bloc wants to punish the regime there. We have had these rules in place for decades and it hasn't made anything change in Cuba. Only fools keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a new result soooo maybe it is time to try something different ??

Cuba is also treated differently because it doesn't hurt the pocketbook as much as it would to refuse to do business with China. I personally would not be comfortable visiting China until the people have basic human rights. There are many other countries that I would also not visit because humans or specifically women do not have basic rights. It's not so much about taking a moral stand as self-preservation because I would find myself in serious trouble if I started getting upset. We also do hand some of our dollars directly to private orphanages and poorer schools, as well as trying to contribute to the local economy, and I would hate to think that it's just going to the oppressive government and the favored wealthy.

I'm not sure why people are so eager to have a cruise stop in Cuba, it's just another island like most of the rest. I guess it's the thrill of getting to see what has previously been forbidden fruit. To stop there on a cruise simply doesn't give the true Cuba, just like stopping at some other island. You'll have a shopping area, an excursion to see something.

I'm not sure why people are so eager to have a cruise stop in Cuba, it's just another island like most of the rest. I guess it's the thrill of getting to see what has previously been forbidden fruit. To stop there on a cruise simply doesn't give the true Cuba, just like stopping at some other island. You'll have a shopping area, an excursion to see something.

Who wouldn't love to stop at Diamonds International to get their free charm from Cuba?

Everything you said is correct too ban our President does not think the same way how he thinks this will be good for the Cuban people when the Castro government controls everything is beyond me.

Gary

ITA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would cruise to those places either.

But this whole Cuba thing is a sham.