Poor Celebrity Customer Service

stones902

We recently returned from a 9 day cruise on the Constellation. Overall, we had a wonderful time (it's almost impossible to have a bad cruise) but there were a couple aspects of our Celebrity Cruise experience that we thought were subpar. Nothing major but we have done many cruises over the years and I felt like there were a few things that could be addressed.

I completed the on line cruise questionnaire and gave my honest assessment of the cruise - several items above average most falling into the average category and a few below average. There was a box asking if I wanted a Celebrity Cruise rep to contact me which I did check. I am of the belief that if something wasn't up to cruise standards it ought to be brought to the attention to the line and corrected. I never received a call from the rep.

Most of our issues were relatively minor and service related. Nothing that had a major impact on our overall cruise experience. One of the items I wanted to bring to Celebrity's attention was that our specialty dining reservations that I made on the phone with their rep were lost when we boarded the ship. Another issue dealt with problems accessing our reservation on their website. Just things that should be brought to the lines attention.

Anyone else with similar experiences dealing with Celebrity Customer service?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We recently returned from a 9 day cruise on the Constellation. Overall, we had a wonderful time (it's almost impossible to have a bad cruise) but there were a couple aspects of our Celebrity Cruise experience that we thought were subpar. Nothing major but we have done many cruises over the years and I felt like there were a few things that could be addressed.

I completed the on line cruise questionnaire and gave my honest assessment of the cruise - several items above average most falling into the average category and a few below average. There was a box asking if I wanted a Celebrity Cruise rep to contact me which I did check. I am of the belief that if something wasn't up to cruise standards it ought to be brought to the attention to the line and corrected. I never received a call from the rep.

Most of our issues were relatively minor and service related. Nothing that had a major impact on our overall cruise experience. One of the items I wanted to bring to Celebrity's attention was that our specialty dining reservations that I made on the phone with their rep were lost when we boarded the ship. Another issue dealt with problems accessing our reservation on their website. Just things that should be brought to the lines attention.

We filled out the assessment last March after our first (and last) Celebrity cruise. We took the time to carefully detail the concerns we had and our overall disappointment with Celebrity. We are seasoned cruisers and know to roll with the punches however the food in the MRD and Blu were both a major disappointment. The most shocking observation was very poor service -- crew were not smiling, did not look us in the eye, didn't seem concerned about issues such as a very wet area on the carpet inside our cabin near the door. (one of the new Aqua Class cabins) The Muster Drill was shocking -- all the information was recorded handraulically, it took forever and the person making all the notes yelled at the passengers several times for talking while he was trying to transfer notes from other crew members in order to compile a final list. We had "Elite" status in their Captain's Club however the only thing interaction we had with the concierge was at the door of the lounge to show our passes -- no welcome -- nothing.

Honestly, we wished we could have gotten off the ship in Key West -- it was that bad. And, no, no one ever bother to follow up.

all the information was recorded handraulically,

I had to look that up, I think we're getting old. I remember when we were among the youngest on the ship.

I'm sorry you had a disappointing cruise, we've been lucky. They've all been good, some where better. :)

We have always had an excellent response from the Guest Services personnel aboard the Celebrity ships. However, I have to agree that no cruise line has ever contacted us based on the comments we have written, good or bad, on the questionnaire competed at the end of the cruise.

Did you bring these items to their attention when you filled out the online survey? If so, I really wouldn't expect a call from anyone for what you agree are minor issues.

We filled out the assessment last March after our first (and last) Celebrity cruise. We took the time to carefully detail the concerns we had and our overall disappointment with Celebrity. We are seasoned cruisers and know to roll with the punches however the food in the MRD and Blu were both a major disappointment. The most shocking observation was very poor service -- crew were not smiling, did not look us in the eye, didn't seem concerned about issues such as a very wet area on the carpet inside our cabin near the door. (one of the new Aqua Class cabins) The Muster Drill was shocking -- all the information was recorded handraulically, it took forever and the person making all the notes yelled at the passengers several times for talking while he was trying to transfer notes from other crew members in order to compile a final list. We had "Elite" status in their Captain's Club however the only thing interaction we had with the concierge was at the door of the lounge to show our passes -- no welcome -- nothing.

Honestly, we wished we could have gotten off the ship in Key West -- it was that bad. And, no, no one ever bother to follow up.

With all due respect, if it was your last cruise with =x=, why bother following this forum?

We also faithfully fill out the final cruise survey -- and we use the "attention to detail" cards, onboard. While we always get immediate follow-up with the "attention to detail" cards, I don't think we've ever been contacted as a result of a final survey.

Our philosophy is that it's always best to try to resolve any issues, while we're still onboard. If something absolutely can't be fixed then, we do mention it on the survey. But, anything important to us is referenced in a follow-up letter/e-mail to Corporate. We usually get a follow-up call, when we do that. While I can understand why the OP could reasonably expect a response to his survey -- in our years of experience with X/RC, that's not usually how it works.

Our calls have been returned in a timley manner, and all CSR's have been helpful. We have been lucky I guess, no issues with the web site.

Edited by wallie5446

Did you bring these items to their attention when you filled out the online survey? If so, I really wouldn't expect a call from anyone for what you agree are minor issues.

Yes I did.

I also checked yes to the question "Would you like a Celebrity Representative to contact you regarding these issue?" Or similar wording. Why offer that option if they don't intend to call?

Yes I did.

I also checked yes to the question "Would you like a Celebrity Representative to contact you regarding these issue?" Or similar wording. Why offer that option if they don't intend to call?

I guess my question would be why ask someone to call if they are minor issues? I would imagine they have to prioritize issues. If you say you just want them to know about them....they do since you told them about them in your survey.

I guess my question would be why ask someone to call if they are minor issues? I would imagine they have to prioritize issues. If you say you just want them to know about them....they do since you told them about them in your survey.

That's simple, because I wanted to provide an explanation more thorough that what was allowed in the brief survey. In my case, there were no questions pertaining to the loss of our specialty dining reservations made prior to boarding.

The post cruise surveys are a method of providing feedback so that any issues, minor or not, can be addressed and corrected.

That's simple, because I wanted to provide an explanation more thorough that what was allowed in the brief survey. In my case, there were no questions pertaining to the loss of our specialty dining reservations made prior to boarding.

The post cruise surveys are a method of providing feedback so that any issues, minor or not, can be addressed and corrected.

I would send a letter to Celebrity outlining your issues, providing a more thorough explanation if needed. That way you can get it off your chest and let Celebrity know your feelings, without waiting for a phone call from them.

I would send a letter to Celebrity outlining your issues, providing a more thorough explanation if needed. That way you can get it off your chest and let Celebrity know your feelings, without waiting for a phone call from them.

Good suggestion - might do that. We cruise quite a bit (mostly RCI). I want to like Celebrity and would consider sailing with them again if I felt their customer service was a little more responsive. It's telling when you read so many posts about things like website issues that never seem to get fixed.

The real problem is that celebrity asks if you would like a call (or whatever the exact wording is). If they put that on the form....they really should have a plan to call folks. If they don't....and it's apparent they don't...then instead of getting a positive from appearing to care about your opinion....they get a negative because you gave your opinion, asked for someone to call...and they don't....so you realize (or think) that your opinion didn't really matter at all. No one likes to be ignored....

It's just not good customer relations or marketing....

On the second day of our recent cruise we received a attention to detail card in our cabin and they are also available at Guest Relations. The instructions on it want you to address any concerns or problems you are having during the cruise so they can have the opportunity to also address and hopefully correct the problems. They want you to do that because they don't want you to complain afterwards when they really can't solve the problem for you.

Did you take the time to do that when on board? If not, why not?

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

On the second day of our recent cruise we received a attention to detail card in our cabin and they are also available at Guest Relations. The instructions on it want you to address any concerns or problems you are having during the cruise so they can have the opportunity to also address and hopefully correct the problems. They want you to do that because they don't want you to complain afterwards when they really can't solve the problem for you.

Did you take the time to do that when on board? If not, why not?

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I didn't mention the website issue nor the lost dinner reservations made with their agent over the telephone on board. Neither of those issues had to do with anything on board the Constellation.

I could have complained about aspects of service from our Butler (we had a Celebrity suite). Believe it or not we had problems getting ice delivered daily to the cabin and also we asked for extra shampoo / conditioner that didn't get delivered until day 4. Even though the service wasn't up to snuff in my opinion I still liked the guy on a personal level and didn't want to penalize him on board. So not using the attention to detail cards was all on me.

Not sure how they are supposed to correct or address the issues for you, once you're off the ship.

I didn't mention the website issue nor the lost dinner reservations made with their agent over the telephone on board. Neither of those issues had to do with anything on board the Constellation.

I could have complained about aspects of service from our Butler (we had a Celebrity suite). Believe it or not we had problems getting ice delivered daily to the cabin and also we asked for extra shampoo / conditioner that didn't get delivered until day 4. Even though the service wasn't up to snuff in my opinion I still liked the guy on a personal level and didn't want to penalize him on board. So not using the attention to detail cards was all on me.

Obviously this is totally unacceptable and as I have stated a number of times before, Celebrity has not been as proactive recently as they can be fixing issues, but they do react. We had two different butlers recently on our B2B sailing between a CS and an RS with VASTLY different levels of service. We liked them both, but the first didn't always provide what we needed, so we simply asked the MC Concierge. If you didn't get what you needed from your cabin staff, or from a call to your butler, you had a Concierge in Michael's club who's job is your satisfaction. If you're not happy a call or visit with them would surely get it fixed. If not, certainly a quick sit down explaining it would have.

You've cruised enough to expect a certainly level of service, and would have been happy with that level of service, nd obviously not happy you didn't get it. If you're on vacation and not satisfied, you have two options, suck it up, and try and fix it after the fact, leaving disappointment in the air but making the best, or worst of it. OR you can try and fix it right away, make sure you're content, and move on. Sure, you need to speak up and maybe ruffle some feathers, but you spent (significant) hard earned money on your suite and it is totally reasonable to expect that service lapses and deficiencies are quickly correct so you can enjoy your vacation.

It's not only my recommendation to do number 2, but if you ask any officier level staff onboard (the Michael's Club Concierge IS an un-uniformed officer) they will tell you they would MUCH prefer you tell them about issues onboard and let them correct them to your satisfaction. They see it as an opportunity and would much prefer it over getting "dinged" on a survey.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The real problem is that celebrity asks if you would like a call (or whatever the exact wording is). If they put that on the form....they really should have a plan to call folks. If they don't....and it's apparent they don't...then instead of getting a positive from appearing to care about your opinion....they get a negative because you gave your opinion, asked for someone to call...and they don't....so you realize (or think) that your opinion didn't really matter at all. No one likes to be ignored....

Good point!

Good point!

I agree, they shouldn't have the question, if they don't intend to follow up.

I also don't understand what Celebrity can do after the fact if it can remedy the situation. Are commentators going to be happy with "I'm sorry, we look forward to seeing you onboard next time and we'll try and fix it." Maybe that's all they need to do, apologize, but Celebrity can't say for sure if next time a reservation won't be missed, or someone won't smile at a cruiser in the MDR. I don't think "compensation" is fair for service lapses that can and should be fixed onboard, so I guess only the OP can say what would have satisfied their disappointment after the fact.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I also don't understand what Celebrity can do after the fact if it can remedy the situation. Are commentators going to be happy with "I'm sorry, we look forward to seeing you onboard next time and we'll try and fix it." Maybe that's all they need to do, apologize, but Celebrity can't say for sure if next time a reservation won't be missed, or someone won't smile at a cruiser in the MDR. I don't think "compensation" is fair for service lapses that can and should be fixed onboard, so I guess only the OP can say what would have satisfied their disappointment after the fact.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Just to be clear I wasn't seeking any compensation. I suppose just an acknowledgement of the issue and a thanks for bringing it to Celebrity's attention would suffice.

The purpose of those surveys is to measure what they are doing well and want they are doing not so well presumably so issues can be corrected. We always complete the survey. If something is not right and Celebrity isn't informed then the next passenger might have the same problem.

In my real life I am in management. When we get a complaint I do my best to fix it if we did something wrong. If someone takes their valuable time to provide feedback I'm going to take it seriously and acknowledge it.

Just to be clear I wasn't seeking any compensation. I suppose just an acknowledgement of the issue and a thanks for bringing it to Celebrity's attention would suffice.

The purpose of those surveys is to measure what they are doing well and want they are doing not so well presumably so issues can be corrected. We always complete the survey. If something is not right and Celebrity isn't informed then the next passenger might have the same problem.

In my real life I am in management. When we get a complaint I do my best to fix it if we did something wrong. If someone takes their valuable time to provide feedback I'm going to take it seriously and acknowledge it.

If the acknowledgment and thank you for completion of the survey occurred immediately after submitting it via an automated email message sent to your email address, would that have been sufficient?

Maybe for you it would be, but I'm betting that most people it would not be enough and it only infuriates them further to receive a message that they don't feel is sincere.

On the other hand, Celebrity probably doesn't think that this is very helpful either based on feedback they received in other ways. Not to mention, their website is a travesty and probably couldn't handle the volume or flow of intricate communications.

I recently completed a 16 day transatlantic sailing and was able to complete the online survey after the cruise. Some of the things that I found to be a problem with the survey is that it's 1) only available for seven days after the travel. Some of us that is a stretch to be able to complete the survey within seven days of travel because we're traveling somewhere else whether it be on land or wherever. 2) this survey is a mere shadow of what we used to complete on paper while still on the ship. I think there were five or six questions they were generically worded to induce higher marks than I probably would've given had I had more questions that were more detailed and asking and probing for different responses in different, specific categories. It's like the survey is set up to give the cruise ship the idea that customers are more satisfied without actually giving them a chance to provide remarks to questions that are not being asked anymore. The only way to give that feedback is to have it concisely worded so that It can be typed into the comment box at the end of the six question survey.

That survey isn't even worth completing in my opinion. If Celebrity really wanted to automate and improve the "on board ship experience" for customers, they would have put more effort into designing the survey so that all their customers that wanted to provide feedback could provide a consistent and detailed level of information while being able to go back and provide that feedback at their convenience.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

This is an area in my opinion you could have done the most for others. You were provided with sub-par service, the people after you and the people after them probably have been provided with the same approach by this Butler.

As long as people are willing to forgive sub-par service it will be perpetuated.

I am not critisizing you for this; I realize that allowances are made for others because good people don't want to stick it to others.

Guests in the highest suite catagories should not be subject to sub-par service. They should be provided with exceptional service.

We recently sailed in AQ. The attendant told us that she was new to the AQ cabins. We told her that we sailed in AQ many times and new what to expect. Certain things were missing and we didn't know if they were eliminated or if it was lack of her experience. We would ask for a few things and then would receive them. During the officers party I asked the Hotel Director if the attendants had a check list for the categories that they serve and he said that they are. I then questioned why they aren't used and if a supervisor ever checks on the cabins to see if they are up to the standards. He also claimed that they do that. I can go on and on about telling him about the faults and lack of service that I had experienced not only on that ship but on other ships sailing in AQ. He asked what cabin I was in and I said it didn't matter as everyone should be given the same service and not just those that question something. If it was someone's first time sailing in AQ they wouldn't know what to expect. He said that he would address it. The next day our attendant asked us if everything is satisfactory and I asked back "What is your opinion and why do you ask? Do you feel that you are not doing everything that you should be? " She smiled and responded if there is anything let me know.

Besides all of the cut backs in amemnities they are also cutting back personel and it is starting to take its toll on everyone and all areas around the ship.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi

I emailed UK Customer Services and got an auto reply saying they will respond within 28 days. In the UK the are legally bound to reply within 28 days so they can't just ignore anyone who contacts them formally. That's not to say the response will be positive of course!

Bob & Christine