Anybody use Xfinity Connect "Voice2go" onboard?

ohmark

Question is specific as to Comcast Xfinity Connect Voice2go on shipboard wifi. Anybody use this successfully or unsuccessfully? We plan to use it on Marina and would love to hear the experiences of other passengers on Oceania. I've read reports as to success or lack thereof as to other apps (Skype, etc.), but would be interested in experiences with Voice2go.

Thanks.

Double check to make sure that it is free on board a ship. We use on land all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure you have to connect to the internet on the ship and that's certainly not free unless it is included in your cruise so not totally free unless you get free internet.

I tried to use it on recent Regatta cruise. It simply did not work on the ship's wifi.

Would love to know if anyone has had a more positive experience, as I am on Marina transatlantic in May and would find it very useful.

Edited by edgee

Some free international roaming programs eg t mobile exclude the ship.

I did some googling. Seems like comcast phone is also free aboard ship (assuming you signed up for wifi)

We will be on nautica in January and plan to use it

Question seems to be whether the ship blocks voice on its internet service. In my experience, apparently they did, although, I did not make a specific inquiry as to why my Xfinity to go app was not working on the Regatta's wifi.

Some free international roaming programs eg t mobile exclude the ship.

I did some googling. Seems like comcast phone is also free aboard ship (assuming you signed up for wifi)

We will be on nautica in January and plan to use it

What exactly is free using voice2go?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

What exactly is free using voice2go?

I will try and explain and welcome others to embellish/correct my explanation:

The Xfinity 2go app allows Comcast phone customers to make calls using their smart phones when those phones are connected to wi fi. If wi fi connection is normal, the calls are the same in terms of connection quality and even caller ID indicators as if one is calling from his/her home phone. This works well provided the particular wi fi network being used does not block voice calling. Of course prior to even attempting to make a call, one would have to be signed up for an internet plan on the ship and have their smart phone signed onto the network. From what I understand, cruise ships and airplane wi fi connections often do block voice calling. What seems to be at issue here is whether or not Oceania wi fi connections do or do not block. During my attempt to use the app on the Regatta, I apparently was blocked.

I will try and explain and welcome others to embellish/correct my explanation:

The Xfinity 2go app allows Comcast phone customers to make calls using their smart phones when those phones are connected to wi fi. If wi fi connection is normal, the calls are the same in terms of connection quality and even caller ID indicators as if one is calling from his/her home phone. This works well provided the particular wi fi network being used does not block voice calling. Of course prior to even attempting to make a call, one would have to be signed up for an internet plan on the ship and have their smart phone signed onto the network. From what I understand, cruise ships and airplane wi fi connections often do block voice calling. What seems to be at issue here is whether or not Oceania wi fi connections do or do not block. During my attempt to use the app on the Regatta, I apparently was blocked.

Do you have any idea about Norwegian?

It's an amazing app for Comcast home phone customers. A lifeline for us in Europe when my wife broke her ankle. We were able to call wherever and whenever we wanted (on wifi) from France to the U.S. (including to 800 numbers) and people could call from the U.S. to us in France. All with no cost either way. People simply call your home phone number and the app rings on your smartphone, anywhere in the world. Or you can call from anywhere in the world as if you're calling from your home phone.

But the issue is, does the app work onboard, or is Oceania disabling it and similar VOIP apps? If it works onboard, then I don't even have to worry about getting an international sim card for the cell phone. Hopefully, we'll get a few more responses. Love to here it worked for somebody. (Didn't work last year onboard on a different cruise line in the Caribbean, but did work when offboard in different ports.)

Edited by ohmark

Great. Look forward to it.

While I fully understand your wanting to know if you system will work once you board this ship, please be aware that basing your answer on previous cruises on the same or different O ships is no guarantee that your system will work once you board.

There are so many variances is itinerary, ships operations, number of people utilizing the onboard internet, etc. that while Comcast may work on the cruise prior and after yours on the same ship, it may not work on your particular cruise.

Not saying yours won't work on your cruise but, reports vary so much about different aspects of internet usage that you need to be prepared to be able to use your system or not.

The only true answer will come once you board the ship and even then during your cruise, connecting may come and go. Simply trying to make sure you understand the variances in connections.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

While I fully understand your wanting to know if you system will work once you board this ship, please be aware that basing your answer on previous cruises on the same or different O ships is no guarantee that your system will work once you board.

The difference here is whether or not Oceania will do something affirmatively to disable the app. Problem is not likely to be some variable as to the cruise digital environment. Voice2go is not a bandwith hog. It provides voice and text, not video.

you need to be prepared to be able to use your system or not.

Sim card availability/choice is problematic for cruise Australia/New Zealand. If app doesn't function onboard for audio, it should work for texts. If doesn't work for either, we would use onshore wifi during port visits, excursions, and before and after cruise.

(Our U.S. cellular carrier warns us that cell function should not work outside of U.S., but that if it does we should be prepared for astronomic roaming charges)

We have AT&T wireless and I was able to add a package for $60 for next month when we'll be in Australia and NZ that lets us use our phones in roaming mode for both data and voice. It's still not super cheap, but we get unlimited outgoing text messages (incoming are already free), use of partner wi-fi hotspots (not sure what those are yet), 300mb of data (perfect for using maps/gps/quick looking up of things when out in the cities/ports), and calls are billed at 50 cents a minute. We will of course typically use skype to make phone calls but if we need to make or take a quick call 50 cents/min is pretty reasonable. They had 3 tiers of plans $30/$60/$120 and we selected the middle one.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1#fbid=aHKMZh5vHGT

We have AT&T wireless and I was able to add a package for $60 for next month when we'll be in Australia and NZ that lets us use our phones in roaming mode for both data and voice. It's still not super cheap, but we get unlimited outgoing text messages (incoming are already free), use of partner wi-fi hotspots (not sure what those are yet), 300mb of data (perfect for using maps/gps/quick looking up of things when out in the cities/ports), and calls are billed at 50 cents a minute. We will of course typically use skype to make phone calls but if we need to make or take a quick call 50 cents/min is pretty reasonable. They had 3 tiers of plans $30/$60/$120 and we selected the middle one.http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1#fbid=aHKMZh5vHGT

Not a bad idea. I'm guessing the other majors have something similar. Our cell company, Consumer Cellular, which rides on the ATT network in the U.S., provides absolutely no similar plan. Their alternative is to simply warn you that either your phone won't work or if it by chance does--the roaming rates will be astronomical.

I am hopefully waiting for bitob's report on Voice2go.

Thanks Corpkid for the At&T info!!

I'm signing up for my Australia trip. This is great.

Appreciate you passing this along.

No problem... Glad to help! Are you on our cruise next month? Also, be careful when on the ship - the ships cell service takes over and nullifies this roaming program. You will pay Oceania "dearly" if making/taking calls while connected to the ships cellular tower. Hopefully there is a way to switch off the ship's cellular, but in either case, we have unlimited wi-fi for our cruise so I'll just use voice skype when onboard.

Here's another, less expensive, solution if you have ATT or TMobile or Consumer Cellular. An international "one rate" SIM card. Costs $9, including a $5 calling credit. Almost all outgoing and incoming calls are $.39 a minute and texts are $.39. You get a free U.S. phone number, so that when people call you from the U.S., they pay nothing. You can also buy data packages, although that's not required. http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=MSIM-ONRT

But, still not as convenient or inexpensive at being able to use an app like Xfinity Voice2go onboard.

Edited by ohmark

Hi Corpkid:

No, unfortunately we're not on your cruise next month...traveling on land this time to the Western part of Australia. Did the cruise a few years ago and you will love it. Enjoy your trip and again, many thanks for the AT&T info.

Mary

Not a bad idea. I'm guessing the other majors have something similar. Our cell company, Consumer Cellular, which rides on the ATT network in the U.S., provides absolutely no similar plan. Their alternative is to simply warn you that either your phone won't work or if it by chance does--the roaming rates will be astronomical.

I am hopefully waiting for bitob's report on Voice2go.

Ohmark. Just remembered we have used viber to make calls on board using wifi with no problem. Amazingly we had strong signal in waters near Iceland. If viber works Comcast should too. Boarding in two days and will report

Ohmark. Just remembered we have used viber to make calls on board using wifi with no problem. Amazingly we had strong signal in waters near Iceland. If viber works Comcast should too. Boarding in two days and will report

You are using Comcast this time?

We have AT&T wireless and I was able to add a package for $60 for next month when we'll be in Australia and NZ that lets us use our phones in roaming mode for both data and voice. It's still not super cheap, but we get unlimited outgoing text messages (incoming are already free), use of partner wi-fi hotspots (not sure what those are yet), 300mb of data (perfect for using maps/gps/quick looking up of things when out in the cities/ports), and calls are billed at 50 cents a minute. We will of course typically use skype to make phone calls but if we need to make or take a quick call 50 cents/min is pretty reasonable. They had 3 tiers of plans $30/$60/$120 and we selected the middle one.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=1#fbid=aHKMZh5vHGT

Hi Corpkid:

No, unfortunately we're not on your cruise next month...traveling on land this time to the Western part of Australia. Did the cruise a few years ago and you will love it. Enjoy your trip and again, many thanks for the AT&T info.

Mary

I would caution you here. Read what countries are included in the plan. It DOES NOT cover your Sea data (Cellular at Sea). These are charged at $.02 per KB = $20 per MB.

Also the COMCAST App or SKYPE did not work on Riviera. They restricted user bandwidth because of the number of people using the Internet.

Edited by PaulMCO