Just curious about dental service

frac

The services that are normally done by a dentist are not performed by ships medical. They do not have anyone trained to do dental work, nor do they have the equipment.

About the only thing you might get would be a pain med or maybe an antibiotic in case of an infection.

Edited by RDC1

We carry a small dental kit from our dentist. It contained stuff for securing a crown and for fillings. There are commercially prepared one's available.

HAL used to have a dentist onboard but no more.

We carry a small dental kit from our dentist. It contained stuff for securing a crown and for fillings. There are commercially prepared one's available.

HAL used to have a dentist onboard but no more.

All you really need is a string and the closest door handle.

We also carry a small dental repair kit to re-secure a crown or fill a broken area on a tooth (temporarily).

I'd suggest that everyone carry one :)!

DW broke off a crown at dinner on the first night of a British Isles cruise on the CB while biting down on a hard roll. Medical Dept. staff was sympathetic, but as others have indicated, had no dental personnel or facilities. I had brought along a CVS denture/crown repair kit, but it didn't work. Since it was a front tooth, I spent the cruise introducing her as Minnie Pearl. She was a good sport about the whole thing, and even sent me a Christmas card this year.

Does anyone know if Princess has any facilities for handling a dental problem? Not full services but something to tide you over to the next port.

My dentist advises that if you have crowns or bridges in your mouth, be sure to take a Fixodent-type tube with you in case one comes out. You can generally use that to get you by until you see a dentist.

P&J

I had a dental emergency several years ago. The med center gave me an antibiotic to hold me over and recommended a dentist in Grand Cayman. The other choices were Jamaica and Cozumel (not comfortable with either one of those). The port agent met me off the ship after priority disembarkation and personally took me to the dental clinic just near the hospital. Fabulous care and clean.