Why I purchase the drink package.

Everyone keeps asking if the drink package is worth it. Who cares? There is nothing about a vacation that will have a payback. This is not about roi (return on investment).I do not drink but my wife does. Every year on Christmas morning we pick her drink package. I get to purchase something just for my wife that I know she will enjoy. I get the happiness of knowing that I purchased something that she will actually use and she gets the gift of something that she will actually use. She has the freedom on the ship to drink whatever she would like without fear that either of us will be annoyed at the large bill at the end of the cruise. To me it is not about saving $50 dollars on a multi thousand dollar vacation. When I book excursions I do not look at them as an investment and this is no different. Will she drink enough to pay for it? Don't care. Will she be stress free knowing it is paid for? Yes. That is why we vacation.

Everyone keeps asking if the drink package is worth it. Who cares? There is nothing about a vacation that will have a payback. This is not about roi (return on investment).I do not drink but my wife does. Every year on Christmas morning we pick her drink package. I get to purchase something just for my wife that I know she will enjoy. I get the happiness of knowing that I purchased something that she will actually use and she gets the gift of something that she will actually use. She has the freedom on the ship to drink whatever she would like without fear that either of us will be annoyed at the large bill at the end of the cruise. To me it is not about saving $50 dollars on a multi thousand dollar vacation. When I book excursions I do not look at them as an investment and this is no different. Will she drink enough to pay for it? Don't care. Will she be stress free knowing it is paid for? Yes. That is why we vacation.

Amen and hallelujah!;)

To OP, well said.

It is a nice way to try a variety of drinks for us and not worry about being nickeled and dimed for the cost. Some days (Port) may just be a before and after dinner drink..............and on sea days, it is trying different cocktails, we may hit 4-5, but who cares.

Enjoy

Sea Ya

She has the freedom on the ship to drink whatever she would like without fear that either of us will be annoyed at the large bill at the end of the cruise.

I have the freedom to drink whatever I like, but am not annoyed by the bill at the end.

Mainly because whatever it is, it is much less then the $450 that the package costs.

It's kind of like paying the $35 @ Chops and just getting an appetizer.

Most people don't spend frivolously just because it's vacation.

At least I don't....

I have the freedom to drink whatever I like, but am not annoyed by the bill at the end.

Mainly because whatever it is, it is much less then the $450 that the package costs.

It's kind of like paying the $35 @ Chops and just getting an appetizer.

At least I don't....

And that is a great reason why you do not purchase. I agree that is best for you.

At least I don't....

I'm with you. :)

I'm the budgeter in the family. I'm the one that drinks alcohol. I don't drink enough to even come close to an alcohol-containing package to be worth it.

We've now tried Replenish twice. DH doesn't drink enough of the items to make it worth it, but he enjoys the feeling of freedom. I don't drink enough of the items to make it worth it, and I do not enjoy overpaying for what I"m getting. In the future he will get Replenish, and I won't. I'm hoping that over time he'll change his tune as well, and the extra bit he's spending and not drinking can then go towards tips or something. For us, every little bit counts. :)

You say "every Christmas" you do this. There has only been two Christmases when you could have picked her drinks package without also having to get you one, too. As you seem to know.

So when you both had to get the same package, did you do so?

Two years ago we went cruised on Carnival and did not get the package. That was the year that stressed my wife as she was worried about a bill at the end that would be larger than anticipated. I was ok with whatever the bill was as she had purchased whatever she wanted. I do not remember how much it was but preferred to have it taken care of in advance to make the trip more enjoyable for her and relieve any sense of undue stress due to the possibly of having a bill larger than she thought. The bill may very well have been less than a single package is now. It may have been more. I do not throw money away. I am just saying this is why we purchase the package. It makes the vacation more enjoyable.

Two years ago we went cruised on Carnival and did not get the package. That was the year that stressed my wife as she was worried about a bill at the end that would be larger than anticipated. I was ok with whatever the bill was as she had purchased whatever she wanted. I do not remember how much it was but preferred to have it taken care of in advance to make the trip more enjoyable for her and relieve any sense of undue stress due to the possibly of having a bill larger than she thought. The bill may very well have been less than a single package is now. It may have been more. I do not throw money away. I am just saying this is why we purchase the package. It makes the vacation more enjoyable.

I could not have said it any better. I don't care if I come ahead or not. It's paid for and I get what I want!

Never had a bill over $100 at the end of a cruise.

So I guess if they charged $5,000pp for an inside cabin, you'd pay that? I'm sorry, but making the argument that there's no payback for anything on vacation is foolish.

I've been on two seven day cruises. I think my bar bill was <$400 COMBINED. So it makes no sense for me to get the package. If I even thought my bar bill would be within $50 of the package price, I'd get it. But I know I'm going to be well short. So that's why I don't get the package. :D

So I guess if they charged $5,000pp for an inside cabin, you'd pay that? I'm sorry, but making the argument that there's no payback for anything on vacation is foolish.

I've been on two seven day cruises. I think my bar bill was <$400 COMBINED. So it makes no sense for me to get the package. If I even thought my bar bill would be within $50 of the package price, I'd get it. But I know I'm going to be well short. So that's why I don't get the package. :D

Your first statement made me think that common sense has eluded you. The second statement then agreed with my statement.

We usually get some sort of drink package. It depends on the itinerary for us. In March, the ship is our destination and will spend most days on board, so the package will be well worth it for us!;) I like Bailey's in my coffee and a mimosa with breakfast.:p Will have a Bloody Mary or 2 with lunch, some frozen drinks by the pool, and martinis in the evening!:rolleyes: OMG! I can't wait to see the Allure!! Agreed, the packages are not for everybody but there are those that enjoy them for whatever reason! Vive la difference!! (not sure I spelled that right but y'all know what I mean).

I just don't get the concept that it makes sense to overpay for anything ahead of time. It would really bug me to know I paid $400 for a drink package and realize later that I could have had the same experience for, say $250-300. That would stick in my craw and discourage me from doing it again.

On our last few cruises, I have been tempted to purchase a package but did not. Looking back I have no regrets whatsoever, as my decision kept at least $100 in my pocket each trip and we still drank as much as we wanted.

Now if we had a pattern of spending more on drinks than what the package price is that would be another story--it would make sense. But try as I might, I cannot convince myself that it is wise to pay more today just to avoid paying less tomorrow. In what other facet of life would you do that?

But as others have said, to each his own. :)

Two years ago we went cruised on Carnival and did not get the package. That was the year that stressed my wife as she was worried about a bill at the end that would be larger than anticipated.....I do not remember how much it was but preferred to have it taken care of in advance to make the trip more enjoyable for her.....

You might be able to save a lot of money and dig a little deeper into why it is that your wife gets stressed out about spending a couple hundred dollars on herself. I mean to me, it sounds like a great band-aid (for you), but wouldn't you rather find out the root cause of her anxiety for spending some of her own money?

Truthfully, it sounds like this fix makes your vacation more enjoyable. She probably gets stressed playing off your energy.

It's not a bad thing. I do all the budgets too, so I know the planning that goes into having a wonderful vacation with the money saved up for the vacation.

That just jumps off the page, for me. If my husband had any anxiety about spending money, I'd want to get to the root of it. Because it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that this is the ONLY scenario this plays out, "for her."

I could be wrong.....

You might be able to save a lot of money and dig a little deeper into why it is that your wife gets stressed out about spending a couple hundred dollars on herself. I mean to me, it sounds like a great band-aid (for you), but wouldn't you rather find out the root cause of her anxiety for spending some of her own money?

Truthfully, it sounds like this fix makes your vacation more enjoyable. She probably gets stressed playing off your energy.

It's not a bad thing. I do all the budgets too, so I know the planning that goes into having a wonderful vacation with the money saved up for the vacation.

That just jumps off the page, for me. If my husband had any anxiety about spending money, I'd want to get to the root of it. Because it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that this is the ONLY scenario this plays out, "for her."

I could be wrong.....

I completely agree with you that one would think there is more to it. This is the only time this happens as she drinks and I do not. She never drinks to excess and I have no issues with whatever she wants to spend. She works hard she can play hard. I really do not care what her bill is to within reason. By purchasing this package for her she can try drinks that she would not normally try and get another one if she does not like that one. We are not into the "you got this so I will get this" ordeal. I just want a cruise to do one thing and that is relax. It also gives me something to purchase on Christmas for the woman who has everything. You may find this hard to believe but purchasing gifts for a woman is not an easy task. This Christmas present is the one where I know I nailed it, the rest are just hoping.