Best way to cancel a cruise that you may have to cancel last minute...

kpee

Strange request...we have never used RC's insurance so we are not exactly sure what it covers. We will be sailing out on Oasis in April and really want a family member to join us. Problem is they have a sick pooch and are afraid they may have to cancel because she may not be able to leave him. Is that a valid excuse for insurance? Or is there a better way to do it? We really want her to come, but she is afraid she will lose her $.

Strange request...we have never used RC's insurance so we are not exactly sure what it covers. We will be sailing out on Oasis in April and really want a family member to join us. Problem is they have a sick pooch and are afraid they may have to cancel because she may not be able to leave him. Is that a valid excuse for insurance? Or is there a better way to do it? We really want her to come, but she is afraid she will lose her $.

I don't think any typical policies will cover cancellation for pet illness. I agree with the post above, they would have to get "cancel for any reason" coverage.

You generally need to purchase cancel for any reason insurance soon after making your first deposit on a trip, so please don't delay your purchase if you decide to go this route. Also, you might want to try this site: http://www.insuremytrip.com to price out several trip insurance policies to see how expensive a cancel for any reason insurance policy would be, and how much time after booking the cruise you would have to make the purchase. Good luck to you and your family.

You generally need to purchase cancel for any reason insurance soon after making your first deposit on a trip, so please don't delay your purchase if you decide to go this route. Also, you might want to try this site: http://www.insuremytrip.com to price out several trip insurance policies to see how expensive a cancel for any reason insurance policy would be, and how much time after booking the cruise you would have to make the purchase. Good luck to you and your family.

The insurance site mention above is a good site and you can also try out https://www.squaremouth.com. Using both these site will give you many options. As other poster have said they will have to get "cancel for any reason" insurance, although a bit high it may be worth it in their case.

Good luck!

I love pets, but I don't think it is it worth it for her to book. If the dog is still alive in April, she is not going to want to leave. If the dog unfortunately passes away, she is better off looking for a last minute fare.

The problem with cruise line cancel for any reason insurance, is that she will not get the money back. Pet loss is not a covered reason, so she will get a return of the taxes and fees and then a future cruise certificate for only 75% of the rest of the cruise fare. The certificate must be used within one year. It wouldn't really help with reimbursement for her loss.

I didn't realize you had posted two threads.

The problem with cruise line cancel for any reason insurance, is that she will not get the money back. Pet loss is not a covered reason, so she will get a return of the taxes and fees and then a future cruise certificate for only 75% of the rest of the cruise fare. The certificate must be used within one year. It wouldn't really help with reimbursement for her loss.

I didn't realize you had posted two threads.

That is just the normal cancellation charge for someone who doesn't have insurance. Insurance would return her money to her, if she chooses the right policy.

That is just the normal cancellation charge for someone who doesn't have insurance. Insurance would return her money to her, if she chooses the right policy.

Actually Maureen, it's not. My Mom cancelled 10 days before the cruise because her cat was sick and that is what you receive if you have insurance. Fortunately (and unfortunately) a big giant tree fell on her house and cut it in half on the same night which was a covered reason, so for the cruise at least it worked out okay. Having your home rendered uninhabitable is a covered reason for cancelling.

Good luck finding a reasonably priced policy that will give a decent return if you invoke the cancel for any reason.

Edited by Coralc

Actually Maureen, it's not. My Mom cancelled 10 days before the cruise because her cat was sick and that is what you receive if you have insurance. Fortunately (and unfortunately) a big giant tree fell on her house and cut it in half on the same night which was a covered reason, so for the cruise at least it worked out okay. Having your home rendered uninhabitable is a covered reason for cancelling.

Good luck finding a reasonably priced policy that will give a decent return if you invoke the cancel for any reason.

Well, if you cancel 15 days out, with NO insurance, you get the same amount back. Kind of makes the insurance seem like a waste of money, if it's only good for the 5 day gap.:confused:

I think that is how much you lose....not how much you get back. :D

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 Nights or longer

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

Edited by Coralc

She was on the phone in the kitchen when it fell, Mike. She was badly shaken up, but she is fine. The house has been rebuilt. This was December 2011, right before a Voyager cruise. :)

I was really mad at her because of the cat thing. I thought boarding him at the vet would be the best solution, but she wouldn't have it. The cat lived another year after the cruise. Of course, she couldn't have gone anyway, because of the tree thing. :)

Edited by Coralc