Traveling with a two year old...which cruise? And why...

kawilliams50

I've been researching both a cruise from Rome and Hawaii over the last year. I really really want to go to Rome! We've recently decide to invite our 33 year old daughter and her 2 year old son to join us. I'd love to get responses from travelers who have visited these locations with a young child. Hoping it will help me with our choice. Thanking you in advance.

Our now 39 month old has cruised 6 times. Three Caribbean cruises, and one each of the baltics, eastern med from Rome, and Alaska. Honestly at this age the destination is somewhat irrelevant.

Stroller use in European cities can be awkward with cobblestone streets but apart from that they really have such limited attention spans that ports are completely interchangeable, unless you have some sort of jackpot excursion like a train ride...

If you can afford it try and get a 2 BDRM suite or for that matter any suite on NCL. Lots more info over on the family cruising forum.

I would also go with Hawaii at that age. It's quite easy to rent a car, reserve a car seat, and explore the islands on your own schedule. Should you need to adjust your schedules I think it would be easier if you were planning your own excursions instead of joining group excursions.

You didn't mention the ship for the Rome cruise, if by chance it's the EPIC, then that may sway me a bit more towards that cruise. The EPIC has the Nickelodeon characters and activities, so would offer more for the 2 year old to do on the ship.

Generally both Hawaii and Europe are quite port intensive cruises.

OzCanuk...I've read several reviews discussing the long wait times when doing the shore excursions when visiting the Western Mediterranean. Was this a problem for your youngster? I've already booked a two bedroom suite (Haven) on the NCL Epic for June 2016.

Got Tequila, First let me say yes, I have two bottles in my china cabinet! I have a hard time choosing between Silver Patron and Tequila Reserva 1800. Thanks for the information about the Nickelodeon characters! I'll contact NCL for more details.

I've been researching both a cruise from Rome and Hawaii over the last year. I really really want to go to Rome! We've recently decide to invite our 33 year old daughter and her 2 year old son to join us. I'd love to get responses from travelers who have visited these locations with a young child. Hoping it will help me with our choice. Thanking you in advance.

You might want to also ask your question on the Family Forum since those are cruisers experienced with cruising with children.

I'd think Rome would be difficult with a child of that age. As already mentioned the cobbled streets make pushing a stroller difficult. It's also difficult for adult walking. I know that from experience.

How do you plan to keep an active two year old happy in Rome? Easy to do in Hawaii but not so easy in European ports.

Why is everyone just talking about Rome? A med cruise will have many other ports that will be just as difficult to maneuver

While a med cruise is the best cruise in the universe IMHO and Rome being the center of the universe as well.....

I say do whichever cruise the 3 adults feel they really want to do... But....

By all means to private excursions if you choose the med cruise!!!!

They will provide car seats.... Bathroom breaks.... And be fully accommodating to your family demographic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good morning!

We took my now 3 year old on a W Carribean cruise when he was 18 months. He loved it. All the attention he got from the staff, the beaches, etc. So out of those 2 iten, I would say Hawaii.

We are taking my now 3 year old and my 1 year old to Alaska this summer and back to the Carribean (twice) in 2016.

Our biggest issue is flying...especially long distances such as the Med or Hawaii.

I am in Columbia, so we have similar flight patterns as you and I probably fly from the same airports.

OzCanuk...I've read several reviews discussing the long wait times when doing the shore excursions when visiting the Western Mediterranean. Was this a problem for your youngster? I've already booked a two bedroom suite (Haven) on the NCL Epic for June 2016.

Not a problem for us at all - we did Eastern Med (Rome, Cyprus, Israel, Crete, Naples) last year when NCL was still doing that route. We did private excursions (well, 100% private as we used public transit and made our own schedule - so it wasn't a problem). Also easy because he was still in diapers so we didn't have to worry too much about bathroom breaks. Now things are much different... The baltic cruise he was toilet training, and our recent carib cruise he was trained. Logistically so much easier when they are in diapers, but honestly I don't miss having to pack two weeks of diapers into a suitcase.

We have had no problem with flights so far. Little boys love airplanes and various forms of media of course will entertain for hours...

OP, have you talked to your daughter yet about whether she wants to cruise with a 2 year old? I just wanted to give a counter-point thought. I'm the mother of a 22 month old. DH and I are about to sail WITHOUT the kiddo. I would not enjoy a cruise with my 22 month old. I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but for me, personally, I would spend the entire trip worrying that my daughter was going to get hurt, get lost, get kidnapped, get sick, drown when the ship sinks... etc. I know that the likelihood of any of those things happening is nil. But my mommy brain would not shut off for one second. It would be totally un-enjoyable.

Which is why DD is staying home with her beloved Auntie and adoring grandparents while DH and I get away on our last couple-only vacation for the next 16 years or so.

OP, have you talked to your daughter yet about whether she wants to cruise with a 2 year old? I just wanted to give a counter-point thought. I'm the mother of a 22 month old. DH and I are about to sail WITHOUT the kiddo. I would not enjoy a cruise with my 22 month old. I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but for me, personally, I would spend the entire trip worrying that my daughter was going to get hurt, get lost, get kidnapped, get sick, drown when the ship sinks... etc. I know that the likelihood of any of those things happening is nil. But my mommy brain would not shut off for one second. It would be totally un-enjoyable.

Which is why DD is staying home with her beloved Auntie and adoring grandparents while DH and I get away on our last couple-only vacation for the next 16 years or so.

No flames here----We did the same thing when our kids were very little. They stayed with Grandma & Grandpa for "Vacation," while we took short "Grown-Up" trips.

Because the OP specifically mentioned Rome for making a decision.

Duh.... But a med cruise has several ports that will impact a family with a 2 year old so making the decision based on the ease if roman touring is ignoring other things that's why

Sent from my iPhone using Forums