russia and Scandinavia cruise disappointing port times

Erikamac

We booked a 12 night russia and Scandinavia cruise for July. and I have to say I just looked at the times in port and I'ma little disenchanted. We get in later (9:30-10) and leave really early some as early as 4!? Has anyone been on this cruise and can you speak to the experiences on this cruise and what to do in some ports with such little time?

This is the one thing I find disappointing with celebrity. , when we cruised Azamara we were in port much longer.

Edited by Erikamac
info

We booked a 12 night russia and Scandinavia cruise for July. and I have to say I just looked at the times in port and I'ma little disenchanted. We get in later (9:30-10) and leave really early some as early as 4!? Has anyone been on this cruise and can you speak to the experiences on this cruise and what to do in some ports with such little time?

This is the one thing I find disappointing with celebrity. , when we cruised Azamara we were in port much longer.

Erikamac,

There are 3 pages of sailings for July 2015, so I am not sure which one you are on. But all of them (I am pretty sure) will have overnight stay in St. Petersburg. The ship will be in port from 7 AM till at least 7 PM the next day. As for Stockholm, we did Scandinavia and Russia cruise a few years ago, and we were there from 10 AM till 5 PM - it was enough to explore the city and to see the major attractions. Just plan your day in each port so you use every minute of your time wisely.

July 3rd sailing. Stockholm 9-4, Copenhagen 10-6. I guess I really liked experiencing the cities at night on azamara. In the Berlin port you are there until midnight, my understanding is Berlin is a long (4hr) train ride? Is it worth the ride or do u go to hamburg or stay I rockstock?

July 3rd sailing. Stockholm 9-4, Copenhagen 10-6. I guess I really liked experiencing the cities at night on azamara. In the Berlin port you are there until midnight, my understanding is Berlin is a long (4hr) train ride? Is it worth the ride or do u go to hamburg or stay I rockstock?

Yes, St. Petersburg is THE superstar of the Baltics. At a minimum, you want to do the overnight there, allowing two days to see this amazing city's many great historic sights with wonderful, amazing architecture/style and character. Some cruises will have two nights in St. Pete, allowing three days there.

Only having Stockholm 9-4 and Copenhagen 10-6 is rather limited. Both of these cities are super great with so many wonderful options. Ideally more time in these two cities would be best. Another option, not sure that Celebrity offers it, would be to do a cruise that starts, as an example, in Copenhagen and finishes in Stockholm. Or, reversing that order. That allows more time before and/or after the cruise to enjoy both charming and historic cities.

Worth it? Below are few items of "evidence" to prove the value for these great cities in the Baltics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 166,775 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. And it’s free! No charge or tickets required.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is a wide shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac.:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

You don't want to miss the Archipelago while sailing into and out of Stockholm. It is one of the most beautiful sites I have seen.

You cannot see it in the dark.

Thanks, keep them coming! :)

Haven't been to any of these ports yet, we were talking about going to Berlin last night with my MIL who's is our TA and trying to figure out of the long train ride was worth it.

There is a group doing a two day st. Petersburg tour on the roll call that we have expressed interest in, I just don't know if I want to have some free time to explore on our own one day instead of being scheduled

Have a friend in Stockholm I want to meet up with for at least a drink or maybe lunch.

Looking fwd to Amsterdam as well as we are coming in early. Looking at what to do there outside of the red light district which of course I have to see. Lol

The pictures brought back fond memories of our cruise. While we were in St. Petersburg, we had 2 full days of private tours in an SUV. There were 4 of us, a guide and a driver. It was so informative.

In Berlin, we also had a private tour and were driven in a car from the ship to Berlin. Long drive but worth the day.

Haven't been to any of these ports yet, we were talking about going to Berlin last night with my MIL who's is our TA and trying to figure out of the long train ride was worth it.

There is a group doing a two day st. Petersburg tour on the roll call that we have expressed interest in, I just don't know if I want to have some free time to explore on our own one day instead of being scheduled

Have a friend in Stockholm I want to meet up with for at least a drink or maybe lunch.

Looking fwd to Amsterdam as well as we are coming in early. Looking at what to do there outside of the red light district which of course I have to see. Lol

In St Petersburg you are not able to explore on your own unless you obtain a Russian visa. If you do a ships tour or a tour with a licensed tour operator they take care of the visa requirement. The visa is only valid for the tour. 1day tour=1 day visa and you can't leave the tour and go off on your own.

You don't want to miss the Archipelago while sailing into and out of Stockholm. It is one of the most beautiful sites I have seen.

You cannot see it in the dark.

Of all the experiences on my Baltic cruise last July, this was the highlight. Filled with pretty little islands, each one with an immaculate red cabin with white trim, it was amazing how that big ship was able to navigate thru. On the way out, the Archipelago was filled with Swedes enjoying the long day on their boats. Many Dads would navigate into the cruise ships wake and we would hear the delighted squeals of children as they rocked on the waves.

I know everyone says St. Petersburg is the 'Jewel of the Baltic' and it is magnificent. But after long days on strict frenzied schedules the breezy friendliness and freedom of Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm are a welcome relief! If I could have done one thing different it would have been to disembark in Copenhagen and enjoy another day in that city rather than continue on the Constellation for the last sea day.

In St Petersburg you are not able to explore on your own unless you obtain a Russian visa. If you do a ships tour or a tour with a licensed tour operator they take care of the visa requirement. The visa is only valid for the tour. 1day tour=1 day visa and you can't leave the tour and go off on your own.

WHAT!? That really kinda sounds like a bummer. I'm all for structure but 2 days of structured tours sounds exhausting. So if you're not on a tour you can't even get off the boat?

We are on the silhouette.

As the train schedules are almost impossible to line up, we took the 'on your own' bus tour to Berlin. We still had six hours to catch the outdoor sites including Checkpoint Charlie (touristy but fun), Memorial to Murdered Jews (breathtaking in its starkness) and Brandenburg Gate where we enjoyed a much needed Currywurst and brewski. The bus ride included snacks and water both directions, a map and a very informative guide while on the bus. If you dont think you'll be back in north Germany I really recommend Berlin.

In Amsterdam, pick up a Rick Steves guidebook and follow his 1 or 2 day itineary. He also gives the safe spots to experience the local culture.

WHAT!? That really kinda sounds like a bummer. I'm all for structure but 2 days of structured tours sounds exhausting. So if you're not on a tour you can't even get off the boat?

You can get advise about obtaining a Visa from the Baltic forum, but it is not easy and you would probably still need a guide. There is no equivalent of a hop-on-hop-off bus in St. Petersburg.

I was never a fan of Vincent Van Gough until I visited the Van Gough Museum in Amsterdam. I hope to return at least one more time.

Watch out for the coffee shops. Well, you can do your own reseach on that one.;)

Just walking around taking in the architecture and the canals is delightful, and the sail away from Amsterdam is quite memorable.

You can get advise about obtaining a Visa from the Baltic forum, but it is not easy and you would probably still need a guide. There is no equivalent of a hop-on-hop-off bus in St. Petersburg.

Bummer. Oh we'll I guess we'll have to fall inline like the other tourists and check the boxes on a tour... At least we can relax some in Stockholm and the other ports.

Oh I think I get your comment on the coffee shops...but hey when in Rome ;). Lol

Edited by Erikamac
Info

I'm all for structure but 2 days of structured tours sounds exhausting. So if you're not on a tour you can't even get off the boat? We are on the silhouette.

judyfssw: The pictures brought back fond memories of our cruise. While we were in St. Petersburg' date=' we had [b']2 full days of private tours in an SUV[/b]. There were 4 of us, a guide and a driver. It was so informative.

Glad to bring back the nice memories for Judy. She helps make a very good point. There are "private" tours through some firms and then there are . . . really PRIVATE tours where you are in your own much smaller group that can allow you to set YOUR pace and style to fit your PERSONAL needs and interests. Your group of only four was exactly what we had. Some private tours have 15-25 people and you are being marched around on their schedule at the pace they have set-up. Beware of that difference some tour companies that pile you into their group with what they have decided is best for the bigger group.

Setting up a smaller, private group allows you to make things more personal, be more flexible in making adjustments, etc. With this option you go at your pace, have real conversations with your guide, etc. Below are a few more visuals to illustrate that advantage, including doing an early admission at the Hermitage, etc.

You can lessen the "exhausting" part by pacing things with a mix of walking tour, taking a boat ride, doing walking, ride in the vehicle, etc. That ability to "break up" the segments can lessen the physical pressure in doing so much in wonderful St. Petersburg.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,402 views for this posting.

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule, getting our personal questions answered, etc. This majestic setting requires a little time to “soak it up”.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch. That lunch break allowed more resting time, pacing our day's schedule.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Bummer. Oh we'll I guess we'll have to fall inline like the other tourists and check the boxes on a tour...

If you have your heart set for independent travel on St Petersburg get Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise guide. The section for StP was written by a guy who recommends it! He gives a lot of detail about how to go about getting the Visa and options for transportation, places to see, etc.

In order to get off you will need to obtain a Russian visa. You can apply for one on-line. I didn't do it so can't say how easy or difficult it might be.

The packaged 2 day tours can be long. We joined with another couple from our toll call and booked a 2 day tour with Anastasia Tours. We were able to customize the tour, dropping some stops, shortening others and rearranging the order. It worked out great. We started day 1 about 7:45 and returned to the ship before 6. Day 2 we started around 8:30 and got back to the ship around 4. With just 4 of us & guide we were able to move easily around the sights and didn't waste time while trying to get 16 or more folks together and back in the van.

I personally wish there were some Scandinavian cruises that did not visit Russia. I would love to go to Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and avoid the need to stop in Russia. I know we could stay on the boat, but I don't even want to do that. As long as they maintain archaic views on human rights, they will never see any of our money.

Celebrity: Please develop a thorough Scandinavian itinerary (not just up the coast of one or two countries like Norway) that avoids Russia. My Christmas wish :)

Shawn

Edited by KW Cruisers

Plus, where Celebrity docks is quite a distance from the center of the city, and taxis are rare. We booked with a local tour company and they arranged the two days of tours to our preferences. If you don't want to spend two days touring, stay on the ship one of the days.

You will not be able to wander around on your own unless you get your own visa, which is expensive, and difficult to get. Russia is very strict about who can enter and exit it's country.

I personally wish there were some Scandinavian cruises that did not visit Russia. I would love to go to Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and avoid the need to stop in Russia. I know we could stay on the boat, but I don't even want to do that. As long as they maintain archaic views on human rights, they will never see any of our money.

Celebrity: Please develop a thorough Scandinavian itinerary (not just up the coast of one or two countries like Norway) that avoids Russia. My Christmas wish :)

Shawn

YES! We also enjoyed Estonia and would go back in a New York minute! I would also want to see Riga, Latvia.

I'm not saying St. Petersburg is overrated. It's not. But as much as I am glad I visited, I have little or no desire to visit Russia again anytime soon.

Shawn

I think that might be a possibility. People who have been to St Peterburg more than once might not care to return, especially for two days. My wife and I would love that cruise, hopefully beginning/ending in Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

I wonder if Pied Piper at some point might offer a Baltic cruise that does not visit Russia?:confused:

I would think there would be enough interest in just Norway, Sweeden, Denmark and Finland. An 11-14 day cruise would be great just visiting those countries.

OTOH, St. Petersburg is interesting. Hopefully, things will change politically.