Princess VS Carnival

talkorpi

Hi everyone, and I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and happy holidays!

So, I'm looking at Christmas cruises for 2015. My travelling party consists of four people. I've narrowed it down to a 7-night western on the Carnival Magic with calls at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay, and a 7-night western on the Caribbean Princess with calls at Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. They both depart from the Galveston area (Princess departs from Houston). Here's the selling points of both.

Carnival:

ITINERARY. Although Cozumel isn't new, Montego Bay and Grand Cayman are, and the new ports are pretty important.

CARNIVAL PAST GUEST- Probably more perks versus being Princess first time cruisers.

FAMILY FRIENDLY- Since we will have a 15 and 12 year old at the time of sailing, the family friendly aspect will be a plus (Magic is a lot more family friendly than the Princess).

Princess:

PRICE (:eek:) It would seem the other way around, but the cove balcony for Magic with tax and gratuities is just shy of $5000, while a balcony on Caribbean Princess is about $4400 (not including gratuities, just the tax.)

NEW EXPERIENCE- Although we have not done a dream class ship, I would like to try something besides Carnival (just to compare it to something new).

PRINCESS ITSELF- Princess is a cruise line I have always wanted to try, an this may be the best chance to come along for a while.

Right now I'm leaning towards Princess, but I wanted the input of my fellow cruisers before I book (which I will probably wait for Wave Season or a big sale anyways.)

I would also like to note that both ships seem to be selling fast, but the Princess is almost booked solid. :eek:

Thanks for your help in advance, guys!

Edited by talkorpi

We are Platinum on Carnival, and we just sailed on Princess for the first time in September. In a nutshell, we absolutely loved it. Some observations:

Even though we were first timers, we didn't feel like it. We actually felt more special than Carnival has made us feel in years. Their embarkation was actually faster than our platinum embarkation on Carnival. And our cabin was ready as soon as we boarded. That's the way they do things. They also do several complimentary things that you get charged for on Carnival, like cabin decor and anniversary cake at the MDR. The little touches, like hot or cold towels upon returning to the ship from the ports of call, take the experience another notch up.

Princess definitely feels more "adult" and while they do have a kids club and we saw several families onboard, Carnival is definitely more family oriented.

Staterooms are smaller on Princess. In fact, considerably smaller. Our oceanview stateroom didn't have a sofa like on Carnival (literally there's ZERO room for one). BUT they are very functional. Our standard stateroom was configured with a separate changing area, so we didn't mind the smaller size too much.

I wrote a review of our Princess cruise. Feel free to click on the link for a more detailed review. For less money, I would DEFINITELY go with Princess again. Just understand that not everything will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We are Platinum on Carnival, and we just sailed on Princess for the first time in September. In a nutshell, we absolutely loved it. Some observations:

Even though we were first timers, we didn't feel like it. We actually felt more special than Carnival has made us feel in years. Their embarkation was actually faster than our platinum embarkation on Carnival. And our cabin was ready as soon as we boarded. That's the way they do things. They also do several complimentary things that you get charged for on Carnival, like cabin decor and anniversary cake at the MDR. The little touches, like hot or cold towels upon returning to the ship from the ports of call, take the experience another notch up.

Princess definitely feels more "adult" and while they do have a kids club and we saw several families onboard, Carnival is definitely more family oriented.

Staterooms are smaller on Princess. In fact, considerably smaller. Our oceanview stateroom didn't have a sofa like on Carnival (literally there's ZERO room for one). BUT they are very functional so we didn't mind the smaller size too much.

I wrote a review of our Princess cruise. Feel free to click on the link for a more detailed review. For less money, I would DEFINITELY go with process again. Just understand that not everything will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input! I have read your review and absolutely loved it. I am actually leaning towards Princess even more. The teenager is more like an adult than a kid anyways, so the kids club doesn't really apply to him, and the 12 year old shouldn't be a problem. ;) Thanks again! :)

Personally, I would recommend giving Princess a try to see if you like it or not. The Caribbean Princess is a wonderful ship. We've sailed on her seven times this year with another one next week.

Tapi did a pretty good job mentioning some things you may find different. As you mentioned loyalty rewards, Princess offers one of the most valuable loyalty programs in the industry. As it looks like you only sailed two times on Carnival, you really won't be getting any perks except for a free drink. After five cruises or fifty days on Princess, you will begin earning benefits such as 150-500 complimentary Internet minutes per guest.

As you mentioned the 15 year old wouldn't need the kids' club and the 12 year old should manage, there are still a lot of activities, but Carnival definitely has more that will appeal to younger guests. The nights will be more quiet than Carnival for them. There is a place similar to Circle C/Club O2 right under Skywalker's, but I don't know what type of activities they offer. I'm sure someone on the Princess boards will know.

Edited by Disconnections

I would also like to note that both ships seem to be selling fast, but the Princess is almost booked solid.

You found something significant in this comment. Princess has a huge following.

On the Ruby Princess last week almost 70% were repeat customers. Onboard were three 'longest cruisers' with over 1000 days (not a typo) each on Princess ships.

Princess has an excellent product that sell well and usually sell out completely in the Caribbean during the months of Jan, Feb, March.

Edited by thinfool

We've been on both ships. We were on the Magic in 2011 when it was less than 100 days old on a Med cruise and did British Isles itinerary on the Caribbean Princess in 2012. Our teens were with us on the Magic Med cruise.

Princess has bigger pools and more of them. Princess has better service and food as well. Carnival has the water slides and a real nice venue in the Red Frog Pub. I don't believe a family of four fits comfortably in a balcony cabin on the Caribbean Princess, especially with teens. Unless you were to get a mini-suite or adjoining cabins. That would be a deal breaker for us.

We normally prefer Princess, but your situation seems to call for the Carnival Magic. Maybe another time for Princess.

PRICE (:eek:) It would seem the other way around, but the cove balcony for Magic with tax and gratuities is just shy of $5000, while a balcony on Caribbean Princess is about $4400 (not including gratuities, just the tax.)

You can do a lot with 600 dollars extra cash. We have done both, love both. Princess is definitely a more mature feeling line. But still a wonderful vacation.

Give Princess a try. We are sure you will love it.

Alice and Bob

Edited by bobandalice

Last time I sailed on the Princess was at least ten years ago so not sure a comparison would be fair.

Buffet on the Princess was outstanding in selection and taste. I avoid the buffet on Carnival but am plenty happy with food in main dining room both for dinner and brunch.

Cabins on Magic bigger and to me more comfortable.

Excellent service on both.

I have pretty much switched over to Carnival. The thing I miss most about Princess was the ability to order meals to be served on the balcony. Don't even know if they offer that anymore.

If ports are equally accessible I would probably go for less expensive, especially if the difference is significant.

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! I'm looking forward to giving princess a try (that seems like the best choice at the moment :D)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope you have done your homework with respect to a quad balcony cabin on the Grand Class ships on Princess.

There is no sofa. The middle of the room will have the queen bed and the two kids will be in upper berths and you will not be able to watch television when the beds are up. You will be cramped in that room. If that's okay, go for it. We brought our kids on our first Princess cruise six years ago when they were 11 & 9. After we booked, someone on cruise critic was nice enough to warn me to upgrade to a mini suite and I was relieved after seeing the difference in size and configuration.

I am not a big Carnival fan. For family vacations, we actually now find ourselves on Royal Caribbean more frequently. We also love Princess. You can't top the Princess pool area layouts on the Grand Class (Royal Class pool situation is problematic).

Have a great cruise.

I hope you have done your homework with respect to a quad balcony cabin on the Grand Class ships on Princess.

There is no sofa. The middle of the room will have the queen bed and the two kids will be in upper berths and you will not be able to watch television when the beds are up. You will be cramped in that room. If that's okay, go for it. We brought our kids on our first Princess cruise six years ago when they were 11 & 9. After we booked, someone on cruise critic was nice enough to warn me to upgrade to a mini suite and I was relieved after seeing the difference in size and configuration.

I am not a big Carnival fan. For family vacations, we actually now find ourselves on Royal Caribbean more frequently. We also love Princess. You can't top the Princess pool area layouts on the Grand Class (Royal Class pool situation is problematic).

Have a great cruise.

When did the OP say they would be in one room? At the age of 15 and 12, I would assume the OP has explored the options of having two staterooms.

OP, just a word of advice, if you are comparing one room versus two, the difference between the second stateroom may be marginal or even less than a single room. Princess does not always discount the third or fourth passengers in the room and in some cases can even be more expensive than passengers one and two with no extra promotional onboard credit added. If you're considering all passengers in one stateroom, Holland America sometimes comps the cruise fare for passengers three and four.

As an example, see:

39011a53b560a6b6ec6da63d1d818806.png

a7ddadbff27b974207caa35997080de1.png

c62f3770a5f93f17cb25d988936ed0ca.png

Edited by Disconnections

We are carnival junkies. Like you we wanted to try something else. Caribbean princess was our choice. We were totally wowed from the moment we arrived until we got off.

My dad loves to cruise just does not like the dining room. He is 87. Took him on the ruby and he loved it. Their buffet for dinner was spectacular. It fit his needs greatly.

Soda cards on princess is affordable. Way cheaper then carnival. And the ultimate card gives you mocktails and milkshakes

Balcony cabins do not have sofas and the dolphine deck has no covering. Caribe deck has the bigger balconies.

Nicer furniture

Edited by serene56

Dont you have to pay for that (ultimate balcony dinner) or can you just order off the menu from the mdr for free?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 6 using Cruise Critic App

Ultimate Balcony Dining is available for both breakfast and dinner, with breakfast being a little cheaper. Dinner is $50 per person. I think breakfast may be $25 or $35, but I don't know the pricing offhand. I haven't had breakfast in years.

You can order off the MDR menu gratis for room service dinner if you are staying in a full suite.

When did the OP say they would be in one room? At the age of 15 and 12, I would assume the OP has explored the options of having two staterooms.

After looking at prices listed in OP, it certainly appears to be pricing for one quad cabin. I checked pricing for this cruise and that is the case. Two balcony cabins during the holiday week in 2015 are about $6,300. A mini for four people is $5,200, and quad for four in a balcony cabin is about $4,400.

I was concerned for OP because this is a mistake we almost made. We had cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean as a family of four and balcony cabins were sufficient. Each had a pull out sofa bed and an upper berth (there are no sofas on Grand Class balcony cabins). After we booked our first family cruise on the Crown Princess, someone on Cruise Critic pointed out to me that quads on Princess are really tight and recommended we spend the extra $600 to $700 for the mini. Some of the best advice we got on these boards. I thought the extra room in the mini, along with separate sleeping area for the kids, was well worth it

Right now I'm leaning towards Princess, but I wanted the input of my fellow cruisers before I book (which I will probably wait for Wave Season or a big sale anyways.)

I would also like to note that both ships seem to be selling fast, but the Princess is almost booked solid. :eek:

Thanks for your help in advance, guys!

There is a good reason why Princess is almost booked solid! ;)

LuLu

We have sailed Carnival twice and this past April (like you we wanted something different) and we sailed on the Caribbean princess. We loved it! It us beautiful ship and the service was wonderful. We would sail princess again in a heartbeat.

But I will have to say that I personally would pick the magic for the kids sake. Just seems like it has more to do for the kids. We are going back to Carnival in February on the magic. Nothing against princess, just want a party cruise this time. :-)

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using Forums mobile app

After looking at prices listed in OP, it certainly appears to be pricing for one quad cabin. I checked pricing for this cruise and that is the case. Two balcony cabins during the holiday week in 2015 are about $6,300. A mini for four people is $5,200, and quad for four in a balcony cabin is about $4,400.

I was concerned for OP because this is a mistake we almost made. We had cruised on Carnival and Royal Caribbean as a family of four and balcony cabins were sufficient. Each had a pull out sofa bed and an upper berth (there are no sofas on Grand Class balcony cabins). After we booked our first family cruise on the Crown Princess, someone on Cruise Critic pointed out to me that quads on Princess are really tight and recommended we spend the extra $600 to $700 for the mini. Some of the best advice we got on these boards. I thought the extra room in the mini, along with separate sleeping area for the kids, was well worth it

Ah, it does appear this sailing is included in the 50th Anniversary Sale with discounted 3rd/4th. You are correct, though. Four people in a standard balcony room would most likely be very uncomfortable.

OP, do you have experience sailing four in a room?

Here's some extra things to consider.

Princess like Carnival gives OBC for having ay least 100 shares of Carnival stock, up to $250 for a cruise of 14 days or longer but Princess gives OBC for military service, I'm a veteran, another $250 for a 14 day or longer cruise. Plus you will rise up the ladder sooner. I'm Platinum and am fairly new to Princess and I got one extra credit by traveling solo plus being Platinum myself and anyone traveling with me we both get priority boarding and as others have mentioned you can go to your cabin as soon as you board. As a Platinum member I get 250 Internet minutes on any 14 day or longer cruise. Princess has another good program called the Bon Voyage Experience, (BVE) where you and friends can board the ship before anyone else for $39. So your friends sign up for the BVE and you get to board when they do. They usually give a short tour of the ship, a photo when your board included in the $39 and a nice lunch in the MDR with a glass of wine included. The $39 will be a credit if you cruise with Princess. I've done the BVE because I wanted to see a Princess ship so it's free when I get the credit back.

No MDR opened on Carnival like Princess when you board.

As someone mentioned Princess has both a Balcony Breakfast and Balcony dinner which is a nice touch and experience. With the Balcony dinner they send a photographer which will take photos which you can get later.

So you can see more benefits with Princess.

I'm cruising with Carnival for the first time next month on the Inspiration with a cruise purchased on the Cyber Monday sale, so I curious as to what my experience will be like. It seems that unlike Princess that Carnival has no covered indoor pool.

I'm also spoiled as Princess now sales out of San Francisco in a NEW cruise terminal.

Tom:)

1. Princess like Carnival gives OBC for having ay least 100 shares of Carnival stock, up to $250 for a cruise of 14 days or longer but Princess gives OBC for military service, I'm a veteran, another $250 for a 14 day or longer cruise. Plus you will rise up the ladder sooner.

2. As a Platinum member I get 250 Internet minutes on any 14 day or longer cruise.

3. Princess has another good program called the Bon Voyage Experience, (BVE) where you and friends can board the ship before anyone else for $39. So your friends sign up for the BVE and you get to board when they do. They usually give a short tour of the ship, a photo when your board included in the $39 and a nice lunch in the MDR with a glass of wine included. The $39 will be a credit if you cruise with Princess. I've done the BVE because I wanted to see a Princess ship so it's free when I get the credit back.

4. So you can see more benefits with Princess.

5. I'm cruising with Carnival for the first time next month on the Inspiration with a cruise purchased on the Cyber Monday sale, so I curious as to what my experience will be like. It seems that unlike Princess that Carnival has no covered indoor pool.

1. On the subject of onboard credit, it is easy to stack up a lot of onboard credit. You can combine shareholder, future cruise certificate (they still have them) or onboard booking, military (50/100/250; any/7nt/14nt), promotional, travel agent, loyalty (25/50/75/100 on each cruise with these cruise credits of 21-30/31-40/41-50/51+) and other various onboard credits.

Travel agents also are empowered to discount rates and a high volume Princess TA can discount even 20% of the cruise fare, award onboard credits, comp your gratuities, comp specialty dining, etc.

2. You actually get 250 minutes per Platinum passenger on cruises of eight days or longer.

3. If you're sailing on that cruise, why would you purchase BVE? Typically, BVE is used as a way to introduce someone to Princess by offering a day on the ship with the price extended as a credit towards a booking completed within 60 days of your BVE. Those who are familiar with the brand usually partake in BVE to spend a day on the ship (it is not necessary to attend the tour/lunch in MDR/etc.) or to purchase more future cruise certificates.

4. OP, for more details on loyalty benefits of the Captain's Circle, see: https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp#Elite

5. Enjoy your cruise on the Carnival Inspiration. Carnival does have indoor pools, just not on the ship you're cruising on. They use the same retractable roof that some Princess ships use to convert it to an indoor pool. Keep in mind, not all Princess ships offer indoor style pools.

1. On the subject of onboard credit, it is easy to stack up a lot of onboard credit. You can combine shareholder, future cruise certificate (they still have them) or onboard booking, military (50/100/250; any/7nt/14nt), promotional, travel agent, loyalty (25/50/75/100 on each cruise with these cruise credits of 21-30/31-40/41-50/51+) and other various onboard credits.

Travel agents also are empowered to discount rates and a high volume Princess TA can discount even 20% of the cruise fare, award onboard credits, comp your gratuities, comp specialty dining, etc.

2. You actually get 250 minutes per Platinum passenger on cruises of eight days or longer.

3. If you're sailing on that cruise, why would you purchase BVE? Typically, BVE is used as a way to introduce someone to Princess by offering a day on the ship with the price extended as a credit towards a booking completed within 60 days of your BVE. Those who are familiar with the brand usually partake in BVE to spend a day on the ship (it is not necessary to attend the tour/lunch in MDR/etc.) or to purchase more future cruise certificates.

4. OP, for more details on loyalty benefits of the Captain's Circle, see: https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp#Elite

5. Enjoy your cruise on the Carnival Inspiration. Carnival does have indoor pools, just not on the ship you're cruising on. They use the same retractable roof that some Princess ships use to convert it to an indoor pool. Keep in mind, not all Princess ships offer indoor style pools.

About the BVE, I'm sorry if I was misunderstood but what I was explaining was that you could board the ship early without paying anything by having friends sign up for the BVE and having your booking number linked with there's and you board with them without having to pay any $. I have friends that LOVE the BVE so when they sign up for the BVE I board with them.

Tom:)

My first cruise out of Galveston was princess and we went to the same ports. It was in late February and even though the ship was full (4000 pax) we saw less than 10 kids the whole time. When we toured the ship, we noticed that the kids area and the pre teen area was empty and no staff was even working the area. The average pax age was around late 50s-early 60s.

On Princess, the "Serenity" area was a pay to reserve thing. But the drink package was a really good deal. I haven't returned to Princess because I prefer Carnival due to its cost, the number of southern ports that Carnival sales from, and the fun activities on the ship.

Have started to sail Princess because they've had more interesting itin from the West Coast than Carnival.

Enjoy Princess but miss the vibrancy of Carnival when I do. As an example, the fastest karaoke song I've heard on Princess had been 'My Way'.