All things Baltimore

collinH45

Forget the lobsters. Only frozen would be available. Maryland is only for crabs, and in February blue crab meat comes from Texas, or SE Asia (GandMcrabcakes.com). But contact LP Steamers. They are a block from the cruise pier. The Harris Teeter grocery just across the street sells dry ice.

During the winter, you can buy frozen Maryland crabmeat, but it will probably be a bit more expensive. Look for a label on it that says "True Blue" which means it comes from Maryland. I believe Harris Teeter sells Maryland seafood. Do a search online for True Blue Maryland Seafood and a list will pull up of stores and restaurants that only sell Maryland Seafood.

I live in NW DC not far from the Van Ness metro station. I agree with all the great advice on the thread. I would just advise to leave plenty of time for traffic. The 495 beltway can be stop and go traffic wise and gets very backed up. Happy to answer and other DC questions so lay em on me. :)

There has been much discussion re: the Best Western @ 5625 O'Donnell St, Baltimore, MD.

I read reviews on Tripadvisor. Of course, they run the gauntlet, but I am more concerned about the surrounding area and safety.

I will be traveling alone so that is where more concern lies. I know the normal 'be smart, stay alert' advice for no matter WHERE you are, but I also don't want to put myself in a situation that I could avoid, if that makes sense.

There has been much discussion re: the Best Western @ 5625 O'Donnell St, Baltimore, MD.

I read reviews on Tripadvisor. Of course, they run the gauntlet, but I am more concerned about the surrounding area and safety.

I will be traveling alone so that is where more concern lies. I know the normal 'be smart, stay alert' advice for no matter WHERE you are, but I also don't want to put myself in a situation that I could avoid, if that makes sense.

The hotel has a truck stop and a truckers hotel across the street.

On the property is a truck washing facility and other truck related businesses.

Near the hotel is low income housing with police cameras mounted on street lights

The only eating establishment close by is fast food.

The hotel has a truck stop and a truckers hotel across the street.

On the property is a truck washing facility and other truck related businesses.

Near the hotel is low income housing with police cameras mounted on street lights

The only eating establishment close by is fast food.

Thanks Tony!!! Going to check out White Marsh?!?! :)

Any thoughts on The Embassy Suites Inner Harbor??

Should we just take a taxi from the airport or ????

Also, anyone know what to expect what to pay from Inner Harbor hotels to Port??

I don't know Baltimore well enough to comment on the Embassy Suites Inner Harbor, although I did look it up on Google Earth and it appears to be 6 blocks from the Inner Harbor. Therefore, it's a little bit of a trek there for dinner and walking around. Of course, I suppose you could hop in a cab. I can't imagine they would charge much to go 6 or 7 blocks! I imagine there are hotels closer, but they're also probably more expensive. I suppose it depends upon what time you'll get to the hotel and whether you'll feel like walking down to the harbor in order to determine if it's worth it to stay there, or at any other near by hotel. As for safety, I'm sure walking around the Harbor at night is fine, but I can't say for sure how that area of the hotel is. I would think it would be fine, but I would hate to say that and learn it's shaky. Baltimore has some really nice areas and some shaky areas.

We're not big on cabs, so we usually use Super Shuttle (shared van, cheaper than a cab, but may take 15-20 minutes longer to drop any particular person off since multiple stops are made). You might want to ask Super Shuttle for an estimate to the Embassy Suites. They charge a set fee by location so it should be easy for them to tell you. We always tip. Super Shuttle wouldn't be as variable as a cab would be, and if you get in during rush hour and traffic adds to the time, you don't pay more with Super Shuttle. Another (maybe) possibility is Baltimore's Light Rail system. I have seen it at BWI airport but I don't know if it goes to downtown Baltimore.

I don't live in Baltimore, and can't really guess how much a cab or Super Shuttle would cost from the airport to Inner Harbor or Inner Harbor to the port, except that the airport run is farther than the port run!

As to where to stay, whew, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, or I would be spending hours doing so. In the end, though, for a night pre-cruise, it really shouldn't be a big deal unless you're looking for something really cheap, or if you'll have a lot of time there and want to be in a good position for sightseeing.

As for getting to the port, I don't think there's any other option besides a cab, although I suppose a bus might go there, too. Baltimore has a metro system, a light rail system, and various buses, but I don't think any of them go to the port. However, some hotels will probably give you an estimate of cost of a cab to various places, or even post prices on their website. BWI Airport's website may give you estimates of the cost of cabs, shuttle or private car service to various areas.

You might want to just go on maps.google.com and preview a particular hotel's vicinity by using the "What's There" button after locating a hotel.

I really can't say anything about the BW on O'Donnell Street except that I'm completely unfamiliar with that area and probably wouldn't stay there. As to White Marsh, I've been to the Ikea there and White Marsh Mall, but don't know anything about hotels there.

I would suggest just keeping the old adage of "If it looks to be too good to be true, it probably is" in mind and not be too cheap in choosing a hotel.

Good luck. Wish I could help more.

Super Shuttle from BWI to Embassy Suites Inner Harbor is $32 one way for 2 people. Maximum of 10 in van. Can get your own personal van (non-stop) for $77 for up to 10 people, but I doubt a cab would cost anywhere near that much! They can pick up or drop off at port if you're going to the airport.

https://reservations.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

Might not be much more for a cab to the Inner Harbor; not sure.

It's a shame Locust Point doesn't have a Hotel. It's a nice area with Fort McHenry, Tide Point, UA, Silo wine bar, Harris Teeter, World of Beer etc. We can see the Carnival Whale Tail from MIL front door. Otherwise for those flying into BWI I too suggest A/P hotels with transfers to the port o Baltimore or Metro Services to DC for walking tours. I recommend buying a little DC Guide from a bookstore prior to touring. Mine has a nice Metro Line maps and monument/museum/building maps.

If you are cruising between January = March, throw a snow scraper or shovel in your trunk. I say this as it is snowing AGAIN today (March 20th):(

P.s. If you are driving and parking at the port in Locust Point, watch your speed getting off I95 on the ramp. The cops sit hidden and wait for the cruise travelers going more than 35 mph off the ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of discussion around where to stay if you're driving in, but we're flying in early on Saturday morning (with two kids - 6 and 3), and would like to stay close to someplace to grab dinner and some snacks, along with some low or no cost activities nearby.

Ideally wherever we stay would have shuttle service to both the port and the airport, but it's looking like that may be a stretch. Any ideas?

We just returned from the Christmas cruise on Grandeur.

We stayed at the Best Western Plus (newly renovated!)

6055 Belle Grove Road

Nice room at a great price. Family of 5 suite was $110.00 and included 8 days free parking and transportation to and from cruise port and free breakfast.

Van driver said it was 45 minute car ride to DC.

Thanks....We are sailing out of Baltimore and will have to check this out.

Do you know if you can use EZ Pass for any of these tolls? We will also be coming from Pennsylvania, above Philly.

Yes...I drive that way all the time...with EZ pass...even though I try to take the train since I am too cheap to pay like 25 bucks in round trip tolls through MD and DE... (went to school in the LV too!! and my cousin lives in Bethlehem..)

Edited by megr1125

Yes...I drive that way all the time...with EZ pass...even though I try to take the train since I am too cheap to pay like 25 bucks in round trip tolls through MD and DE... (went to school in the LV too!! and my cousin lives in Bethlehem..)

how much was the train?

how much was the train?

Depends when you book...

And I am nuts, so SOMETIMES it is cheaper for me to take SEPTA from Trenton to Philly to hop Amtrak.

I think for my next sojourn, I am paying about 40 bucks.....depends on when you book, time of day and what train...

I just don't always feel like driving......though I will.....but I love to let Amtrak do it!

This time, I saved 10 bucks, even adding in the SEPTA fare, to get on Amtrak in Philly.....pain in the rear? For some, but I am just a little crazy:eek::p

Depends when you book...

And I am nuts, so SOMETIMES it is cheaper for me to take SEPTA from Trenton to Philly to hop Amtrak.

I think for my next sojourn, I am paying about 40 bucks.....depends on when you book, time of day and what train...

I just don't always feel like driving......though I will.....but I love to let Amtrak do it!

This time, I saved 10 bucks, even adding in the SEPTA fare, to get on Amtrak in Philly.....pain in the rear? For some, but I am just a little crazy:eek::p

I am intrigued. I am in Hamilton (one stop from Trenton) so very interested in this option.

How much luggage have you taken w/ you? Where do you store it for the trip? Doing a 10 nighter so will have at least one decent size piece.

Thanks in advance!

I am intrigued. I am in Hamilton (one stop from Trenton) so very interested in this option.

How much luggage have you taken w/ you? Where do you store it for the trip? Doing a 10 nighter so will have at least one decent size piece.

Thanks in advance!

LOL..I might know that area....;):rolleyes:

I HAVE taken 1 big, 1 small and a rolling garmet bag.. YIKES

I usually just store my stuff at the end of the car....it's fine.....no worries... BUT it's a PITA on NJ Transit sometimes....sure it's a lot to handle but it can be done..

That's why I like SEPTA and Philly...the SEPTA conductors will usually help, and in Philly I can get a red cap....

Again, I am crazy...

LOL..I might know that area....;):rolleyes:

I HAVE taken 1 big, 1 small and a rolling garmet bag.. YIKES

I usually just store my stuff at the end of the car....it's fine.....no worries... BUT it's a PITA on NJ Transit sometimes....sure it's a lot to handle but it can be done..

That's why I like SEPTA and Philly...the SEPTA conductors will usually help, and in Philly I can get a red cap....

Again, I am crazy...

Are we neighbors?!

Thanks for the info!

I'm staying just one night in Baltimore before my cruise. I finally convinced my husband that I don't feel comfortable flying in the day of the cruise, but now I really need good options for getting between airport - hotel - port without spending a fortune.

I would much prefer to stay in the Inner Harbor area so at least we can go for a walk in the evening and do the tourist thing. Can anyone suggest a hotel in that area with free or cheap airport and/or port shuttle options? Or is it close enough between those three points where getting a taxi wouldn't be a big deal?

I am wondering about something similar and will probably ask closer to our cruise, but we are going on B2B cruise and wondered if anyone has ever done this and brought 2 bottles/pp for both the cruises at the beginning. So I don't have to debark the ship in between and go to a liquor store and get another bottle. We were originally going to park at the pier and I would have left another bottle in my car to "restock" but decided to stay at a park and cruise the night before instead.

One of he great thing abut the back to back cruises, is that the night before the 1st leg ends the alcohol is delivered to your cabin (or if you buy it after5pm the night before docking, from the gift shop, they let you take it with you).

You now have all the alcohol you want for the 2nd leg at duty free prices.

One of he great thing abut the back to back cruises, is that the night before the 1st leg ends the alcohol is delivered to your cabin (or if you buy it after5pm the night before docking, from the gift shop, they let you take it with you).

You now have all the alcohol you want for the 2nd leg at duty free prices.

Sounds good, but I was talking about the bottles of allowable carry on wine and soda. Had a bad experience on our Liberty B2B and don't want to repeat. So much easier if they let us bring on 4 bottles of wine for the 2 cruises...:confused::cool::D

I'm staying just one night in Baltimore before my cruise. I finally convinced my husband that I don't feel comfortable flying in the day of the cruise, but now I really need good options for getting between airport - hotel - port without spending a fortune.

I would much prefer to stay in the Inner Harbor area so at least we can go for a walk in the evening and do the tourist thing. Can anyone suggest a hotel in that area with free or cheap airport and/or port shuttle options? Or is it close enough between those three points where getting a taxi wouldn't be a big deal?

A stay in the Inner Harbor will certainly be more enjoyable than staying near either the port or airport, but I don't think there are any free transfer options. Taxis are readily available at both the airport and downtown so access to transfers are no problem.

The bottom line is that, regardless of where you stay, you will always have the cost of the hotel to port transfer. So the only difference in staying in the Inner Harbor will be the additional time and cost of the airport to hotel transfer (approx $35 taxi ride) and the higher hotel room cost. So it all comes down to just how much time you will actually have to enjoy the Inner Harbor and whether that fits your budget. :)

Edited by Terpnut

Sounds good, but I was talking about the bottles of allowable carry on wine and soda. Had a bad experience on our Liberty B2B and don't want to repeat. So much easier if they let us bring on 4 bottles of wine for the 2 cruises...:confused::cool::D

I believe what the previous poster is suggesting is you buy 2 bottles either in a port or on ship for your second leg of the trip.

Have you called carnival yet to get their suggestion/policy?