Casual night attire in MDR?

bbiggar

Most anyone with a basic understanding of the language, and who isn't TRYING to argue just to argue, agrees about what is written - when it says shorts are allowed FOR LUNCH that's what it means - if they meant to say they were also allowed FOR DINNER, they'd have said so - they did not say so.

I believe I stated earlier - not trying to argue - we are experienced cruisers......not all on RCI, so this was an honest question - my basic understanding of the English language as well as the legal terms is very good - thank you! English language would say if it is prohibited - which unless you have another version of the contracts......it is NOT prohibited, yup my English is just fine!

Bottom line is we were wondering is if we would get turned away or feel out of sorts- other lines do NOT turn away unless it is formal night - and sometimes not then....

So thank you for your input - and good night

Don't be RUDE - what I am stating is what is written......simple, easy - they "take pains to explicitly state" the items that are not allowed what more would it be to add shorts (six additional letters)

Most anyone with a basic understanding of the language, and who isn't TRYING to argue just to argue, agrees about what is written - when it says shorts are allowed FOR LUNCH that's what it means - if they meant to say they were also allowed FOR DINNER, they'd have said so - they did not say so.

Dst makes a perfectly valid point though. What one person may take as assumed another may not, after all it is not specified in the policy. RCI are the ones solely in power to clarify this. So what can be reasonably assumed from the fact that they have not? Honest question.

Dst makes a perfectly valid point though. What one person may take as assumed another may not, after all it is not specified in the policy. RCI are the ones solely in power to clarify this. So what can be reasonably assumed from the fact that they have not? Honest question.

Thank you - it really is an honest question, do people wear shorts in the dining room on casual evenings......can we or will we be turned away

Thank you - it really is an honest question, do people wear shorts in the dining room on casual evenings......can we or will we be turned away

Yes people do.

Can you be turned away, yes.

Will you be turned away, no way to answer with certainty but I doubt it.

I cannot believe people still use the term "slacks".

The last time I heard that word was from my 80year old grandma who died 20 years ago.

Do you keep them in the "Chesterfield"??

Your zingers usually are better. Don't end 2014 on a whimper

I don't think the point is valid at all. She's been told that it also states "prohibited" on signs outside the MDR, and it also states "prohibited" in the Cruise Compass every single day (on the ship she's sailing on, as recently as last month) but that's obviously not the answer she wants, so she ignores all that - as well as numerous posters who had already told her what you did - that it is prohibited, but unevenly enforced, and they may or may not be turned away at the door.

I don't think the point is valid at all. She's been told that it also states "prohibited" on signs outside the MDR, and it also states "prohibited" in the Cruise Compass every single day (on the ship she's sailing on, as recently as last month) but that's obviously not the answer she wants, so she ignores all that - as well as numerous posters who had already told her what you did - that it is prohibited, but unevenly enforced, and they may or may not be turned away at the door.

The real question is why RCI policies don't all match. They solely control that. It's almost 2015 and some changes are coming though that will clear up these sorts of questions. The dress codes will be updated to more reflect the product RCI is offering. I expect no less debate, but things will be more clear.

There we go, it took some time, now this thread is getting warmed up and up to speed. The Captain just ordered the last boiler lit, because he wanted to make the morning papers in the New York (ok, Mr. Ismay), and this thread is cruising at full speed.

Lets see,

we have insults - check

dictionary definitions posted - check

sarcasm - check

pointless pot stiring (this post) - check

references to gang bangers - check

someone talking about slacks - check

questioning someones language abilities - check

references to Carnival cruise line - missing

references to Walmart - missing

references to cruising Celebrity of Cunard - missing

someone saying "well I never..." about someone wearing a hat - missing

someone with 500 cruises in their siggy talking about "the old days of cruising" - missing

Lets get moving people, to make this a certified dress code thread we have some work to do.

The real question is why RCI policies don't all match. They solely control that. It's almost 2015 and some changes are coming though that will clear up these sorts of questions. The dress codes will be updated to more reflect the product RCI is offering. I expect no less debate, but things will be more clear.

In this case I think the policies do all match. You have to make a very tortured semantic argument to claim they don't match.

Now the enforcement of those policies? That's a whole different story!

If I haven't been on the ship, how would I know what is posted outside the dining room; what I wanted to hear is ones experience - not banter....RCI is a business, a darn good one at that; I would assume one of their many legal eagles could figure a way to have "prohibitted" added to their contract, which is what I go by.....not opinions here!

I'm done - happy sailing

In this case I think the policies do all match. You have to make a very tortured semantic argument to claim they don't match.

Agreed, I wish they would just stick with a policy and enforce it. But then again, the dining staff rely on tips, and how likely are you to tip if someone just threw you out of the dining room? In general, that is exactly the kind of person who is going to march to guest services are remove their tips.

Gary there's no tortured semantic argument. The policy says XYZ in one place and XYA in another. It's fully within RCI's capability to make everything match and then remove these sorts of debates. As it is now someone can point at one policy just as validly as someone else can point at a different version of the policy with different verbiage. In that case which one is the correct one?

It's these sort of things that cause confusion amongs guests who see something stated differently in multiple places. Seems you go to a fail safe; in the instance of two similar but not exactly the same policies you go and adhere to the more rigid. Not everyone does that. That's why I am saying it would be best if RCI had one matching published policy, whatever it may actually be, and thus remove the argument of it says XYZ here and XYA there.

If I haven't been on the ship, how would I know what is posted outside the dining room; what I wanted to hear is ones experience - not banter....RCI is a business, a darn good one at that; I would assume one of their many legal eagles could figure a way to have "prohibitted" added to their contract, which is what I go by.....not opinions here!

I'm done - happy sailing

Another link for you.:)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

Gary there's no tortured semantic argument. The policy says XYZ in one place and XYA in another. It's fully within RCI's capability to make everything match and then remove these sorts of debates. As it is now someone can point at one policy just as validly as someone else can point at a different version of the policy with different verbiage. In that case which one is the correct one?

It's these sort of things that cause confusion amongs guests who see something stated differently in multiple places. Seems you go to a fail safe; in the instance of two similar but not exactly the same policies you go and adhere to the more rigid. Not everyone does that. That's why I am saying it would be best if RCI had one matching published policy, whatever it may actually be, and thus remove the argument of it says XYZ here and XYA there.

Again, it doesn't say XYZ here and XYA there, without that very tortured semantic argument. It says "shorts allowed at LUNCH." That statement makes absolutely no sense if they're ALSO allowed at dinner. They could have easily said shorts are allowed at lunch & dinner, but they didn't. Trying to argue that the statement "shorts are allowed at lunch" somehow also says or implies that they're also allowed at dinner - when it didn't say that - is nothing short of absurd.

To use an argument I've heard here before, no one capable of critical thinking would make that argument.

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

That is the dress code. Pants and a collared shirt. It doesn't have to specifically prohibit shorts or anything else.

Again, it doesn't say XYZ here and XYA there, without that very tortured semantic argument. It says "shorts allowed at LUNCH." That statement makes absolutely no sense if they're ALSO allowed at dinner. They could have easily said shorts are allowed at lunch & dinner, but they didn't. Trying to argue that the statement "shorts are allowed at lunch" somehow also says or implies that they're also allowed at dinner - when it didn't say that - is nothing short of absurd.

To use an argument I've heard here before, no one capable of critical thinking would make that argument.

I'm not saying allowance at lunch implies anything. I'm not making that argument at all. Those are your words. You are projecting a position on to me I haven't taken. Let's brush that all aside though.

What I am saying is the various places a guest could read a policy at...they don't match verbatim. No more, no less.

I will be wearing slacks (yea, I'm old and call them slacks:p) on casual and smart casual nights, and a suit on casual nights. I work in a factory, and don't get much of a chance to "dress up". Since I will be taking this cruise with my wife of 40 years, I will be making the effort to look good for her.

What will other people wear in the MDR? I don't care. My enjoyment of the cruise is not dependent on other peoples attire. That is unless I feel like I'm surrounded by the midnight crowd at Walmart....

We are certainly not Tux and Gown people. Generally causal folks at home and and when going out. When summer comes if I'm not in the office I love my shorts...LOVE my shorts, but can't ever imagine going out to a a nice place for Dinner in Shorts. Just kind of feels out of place to me. Just my opinion, just can't imagine I would feel comfortable in shorts in a MDR.

To me especially in a nice warm climate after at day at beach, or pool it's nice to feel a pair of pants and a shirt and enjoy a night out. Just gives it a different mood than daytime a different type of evening fun. Again to each his own, but to the point RCL is to blame, if you put in a rule enforce it, just look at the the confusion in this thread alone.

Feels like Royal is trying to appeal to everyone. In my opinion in the end the Tux people and the Shorts people should not be in the same MDR, hence the idea of DD with a separate Dinning room for those that prefer formal and another for the more "Casual" crowds sounds like a solution, but hearing some of the Quantum issues doesn't sound like RCL has nailed it down yet.

Happy Crusing

We are in complete agreement :)

We are certainly not Tux and Gown people. Generally causal folks at home and and when going out. When summer comes if I'm not in the office I love my shorts...LOVE my shorts, but can't ever imagine going out to a a nice place for Dinner in Shorts. Just kind of feels out of place to me. Just my opinion, just can't imagine I would feel comfortable in shorts in a MDR.

To me especially in a nice warm climate after at day at beach, or pool it's nice to feel a pair of pants and a shirt and enjoy a night out. Just gives it a different mood than daytime a different type of evening fun.

That is exactly my position too. I LIVE in shorts in the summer. About the only times you won't find me in shorts are when I have a business client meeting, for church or when we go out for a nice dinner out.

I shake my head at people asking about jeans for the MDR. Every spring my jeans go to the back of the closet & aren't touched until the next winter arrives. I can't even imagine packing jeans for a warm weather Caribbean cruise, and find the argument that they're somehow more comfortable than summer slacks to be completely absurd.

Although I live in shorts when the weather is warm, like you, I just don't feel shorts are appropriate dinner attire at a nice restaurant or the MDR on a cruise ship.

This will be our first RCL sailing and wondering what people recommend for casual nights for men. I find it very hard to get my husband into slacks and wondering if nice dress shorts are ok? Easy enough to get him to wear a collared shirt so no problem there.

I can give you my own experience. My wife and I, along with 2 other couples, sailed on Brilliance last March. One of the other guys wore shorts to MDR every night except for the formal night. He was never turned away and no RCI staff made mention of it to him.

Yes people do.

Can you be turned away, yes.

Will you be turned away, no way to answer with certainty but I doubt it.

That truly is the bottom line. Nothing else needs to be said in this thread but we all know it will turn into a 100+ post whizzing match on shorts in the MDR for dinner.