Lobster in Chops.

retird

I was looking at a menu for Chops that was posted here and it indicated that in addition to the fee of 33 dollars each , you also had to pay extra for the maine lobster. Is this the case or is there lobster included with the cover charge?

I was looking at a menu for Chops that was posted here and it indicated that in addition to the fee of 33 dollars each , you also had to pay extra for the maine lobster. Is this the case or is there lobster included with the cover charge?

The only lobster I see on the Chop's menu is an extra $21 over the cover charge.

so is the only place to get lobster on the Voyager, for the extra charge in chops or on a night they may have it in the MDR?

Depends on where you are sailing. For sailings out of the US there is lobster included (fisherman's platter, second formal night). For Australia/Europe/Asia there is no included lobster.

That lobster looks delicious, but $54 to eat at Chops and order it? Wow. Has anyone actually done this?

We are just back from Quantum and Chops entrance fee was $35 each and Lobster or aged steaks were additional. Think 21.00 but somewhere around there. I think when you get to charging extra in extra charge restaurants you have gone off the charts. The specialty coffee was $8 regular coffee was free and was also the same syrup instant found everywhere. For $70 for two of us I would have thought brew the coffee at least. I had 12oz steak wasn't worth any additional price. Service slow and inconsistent.

George in NY

Edited by Georgeny

The $54 might be worth it if you can guarantee melt-in-your mouth lobster that you can only find in a premium seafood or steakhouse back home. Anything less than that would be a huge disappointment.

Well, you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean that doesn't have a broiler and the seafood is usually frozen (maybe not the live lobsters). So, you would be in for a huge disappointment.

On the other hand, if, like me, you are okay paying more to have a superior product than what is offered with the complimentary options, then you might be quite satisfied.

The $54 might be worth it if you can guarantee melt-in-your mouth lobster that you can only find in a premium seafood or steakhouse back home. Anything less than that would be a huge disappointment.

I would also check if it is the real Maine lobster or that warm water lobster that is a completely different animal (no claws) and never tastes the same, no matter if it has been frozen or not and how it has been cooked.

I ordered fresh Maine lobster in Chops on the Enchantment. We were living in Maryland at the the time and I was hungry for it. They were doing a turn around between Baltimore and Boston so picking up the lobsters there (I asked) each week. They keep them alive in a holding tank in the ship. Unfortunately the first one came out and the meat stuck to the shells and was very stringy--an indication that the lobster has been kept too long out of fresh (and cold) salt water. They cooked another one but the same situation. The chef was very apologetic and acknowledged that there was obviously a problem as he saw the same thing. I am from Maine and my uncle and cousins are lobstermen so I am spoiled eating fresh out of the water lobsters but I have also had lobsters from tanks and not had this experience.

They took fresh lobster off the menu in Chops (but still offered it at an additional fee in the MDR) for the balance of our cruise. The lobster tails in the MDR for formal night are Caribbean (or African) lobsters--not Maine or New England lobsters (yes, you do have to pick the meat out of the shells yourself). Chops did offer me another entree but by that time we were tired and full from side dishes. The staff was excellent and attentive. They ended up making our bottle of wine free that night so we felt as though we got a fair deal. We ate at Chops later that week and had a wonderful experience (but ordered steaks this time!).

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw that lobster was offered at Chops for extra and got excited. Now I read on here that you can get it every night in the MDR for a fee. Is this true on every ship? Do you have to ask in advance?

Has anyone liked the lobster? I am celebrating my birthday on my upcoming cruise and (good) lobster is my favorite thing in the world. I'd rather just get more drinks in Cozumel that day if the lobster isn't good.

I've gotten the lobster in their main dining room a couple of times. In my opinion, it's okay, but not great. The meat tends to be rather dry, which could simply be the cooking style as I'm used to steamed lobster, and I think they cook it differently.

Edited by Daghis