Just for you.... FLL hotel ratings

MADflyer

While I use Tripadvisor quite frequently, I just noticed that a hotel that was being heavily discussed in a CC thread here, the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina moved way up my 'Just for You' rankings.

This hotel is the 70th rated hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, but this hotel all of a sudden moved up to place 3 when I checked hotels in FLL on Tripadvisor.

I knew they had been 'beta testing' this service, but am a little concerned at what information they are using to base these movements up and down the list of hotels.

Why would a hotel rated so poorly come in as number 3 all of a sudden on my Tripadvisor ratings page?

Maybe I am late to the game to notice this change, but just thought it is good advice for everybody that depends so much on social media to look more closely at the information that is being shared as hotel rankings.

While I use Tripadvisor quite frequently, I just noticed that a hotel that was being heavily discussed in a CC thread here, the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina moved way up my 'Just for You' rankings.

This hotel is the 70th rated hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, but this hotel all of a sudden moved up to place 3 when I checked hotels in FLL on Tripadvisor.

I knew they had been 'beta testing' this service, but am a little concerned at what information they are using to base these movements up and down the list of hotels.

Why would a hotel rated so poorly come in as number 3 all of a sudden on my Tripadvisor ratings page?

Maybe I am late to the game to notice this change, but just thought it is good advice for everybody that depends so much on social media to look more closely at the information that is being shared as hotel rankings.

Personally, I think Trip Advisor's hotel rankings are a load of crap as does pretty much everyone in the hotel business.

First of all, the ratings are subjective and arbitrary.

When you check into a hotel during peak season after 8PM and you end up with a room near the elevator that has a lot of foot traffic, can you really give a nice hotel one star?

Disgruntled employees are also known to provide false reviews. This is common knowledge in the hotel business and Trip Advisor refuses to remove these ratings.

Current employees also pad reviews.

While there are absolutely good reviews written that give poor reviews to a hotel, they are uncommon.

The bottom line is that the Hilton Marina is a really nice hotel. I'm not surprised it is rated so high.

HI,

The Just for you function on Trip Advisor is a waste of time (IMO).They just use your searches to pick hotels. Soo if you go to the Hilton web site they'll show you Hilton hotels or the one hotel you looked at.

IF you look at a bargain hotel for a friend that will come up in the Just for You bunch the next time you go to Trip Advisor. It has nothing to do with the discussion on here. The rankings are just popularity ratings and not really ranking of which hotel is "best". IF lots of people talk about a hotel in travel guides or reviews, or possibly even on social media , then it will move up in the rankings. IF you look at a hotel web site a lot that will move it up in your Just for you rankings. Try to ignore the rankings and just read the reviews.

Edited by riffatsea

Well, of course Tripadvisor ratings are not perfect, but they do have a tendency to trend and a frequent traveler can usually sort through the reviews and make a personal choice.

It is at least a resource in the decision making process.

I have a feeling they are using more information than just searches that were made.

The company that owns TA also owns CC and many other outlets and would imagine they are able to mine all this information.

Well, of course Tripadvisor ratings are not perfect, but they do have a tendency to trend and a frequent traveler can usually sort through the reviews and make a personal choice.

It is at least a resource in the decision making process.

I have a feeling they are using more information than just searches that were made.

The company that owns TA also owns CC and many other outlets and would imagine they are able to mine all this information.

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels throughout the US, mostly higher end and the amount of bad reviews for five star hotels is astounding to me.

I really think the reviews are crap and just use trip advisor for photos and general information.

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels throughout the US, mostly higher end and the amount of bad reviews for five star hotels is astounding to me.

I really think the reviews are crap and just use trip advisor for photos and general information.

It is not in the least astounding to me as quality claims heighten expectations and value is often related to price paid versus perceived quality and results in variable satisfaction based on personal circumstances and demographics.

TA ratings are certainly not 'scientific' but they do provide a valuable resource for some, unless the information is being manipulated as is the case with this hotel that is 'ranked' number 70 of hotels in FLL being somehow 'pushed' up to number 3 on 'my list' and not releasing what this is being based upon.

I just checked the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina and it is still number 70. Perhaps you were looking at a different Hilton.:)

Yes, that is my point. This property is clearly number 70 on the rankings, but on 'my Tripadvisor' as an avid user for many years, this hotel now comes up as number 3 on a new, "Just for you" list and then when I click rankings, my page does not come up with the order 1, 2, 3 .... but in a whole other order.

Each property still shows it's actual ranking in the listing, but some might actually think that the Hilton Marina is the 3rd most popular hotel in one format.

When I choose rankings and am logged in, my listings for Ft. Lauderdale come up in the order hotel number 6 of 133, first, 18 of 133, second, 3 of 133, third, and 9 of 133, fourth, and so on.

Thus, the order hotels are being listed are being manipulated in some fashion.

I feel as though they recommend hotels to you based on other ones that you've looked at that are similar...and it doesn't go as much by the rating. I always change the default away from that and back to the usual rating. With that said, I just booked a tower room at the Hilton Marina and I hope it's an alright hotel!