Solstice S1 Sky Suites - is the walk really that long?

Vikstar

I keep reading various threads about the S1 Sky Suites on the Solstice and lots of people mention the looooong walk to the elevators. Is it really that bad? How long does it actually take. For reasonably fit people is it really much of a big deal? Also, does that mean that the butlers are constantly walking these long walks or do they have back stairs between floors for the staff to access?

I am always surprised by comments about the long walk from the aft sky suites to the elevators. It's not an issue unless you are physically incapacitated, but then any walking may be an issue in that case. For the average person, it's simply not a big deal.

We have stayed in these staterooms twice. The walk is a minute or two at most. The corridors are quieter due to less foot traffic and the view from the aft is sublime. We love it back there.

Staff have access to an internal staircase in the aft and halfway along the corridor between the elevator and the aft. The only thing we didn't like was that cleaning trolleys and other equipment was often left stored in the passageways in this area.

I keep reading various threads about the S1 Sky Suites on the Solstice and lots of people mention the looooong walk to the elevators. Is it really that bad? How long does it actually take. For reasonably fit people is it really much of a big deal? Also, does that mean that the butlers are constantly walking these long walks or do they have back stairs between floors for the staff to access?

We had a S1 on the Silhouette recently. LOVED it! We are young active soon to be seniors. The walk really didn't bother us at all. We had a beautiful quiet suite on deck 8. Our butler Dominic was perhaps the best we ever had on any ship. We got everything promptly and he didn't miss a beat. The view is to die for! My only negative, is that we like an overhang balcony, especially in the morning for breakfast and the balcony was too sunny to dine during the day. But the cabin itself had loads of room, storage and a beautiful bathroom. Would book this cabin again without hesitation.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

We nearly always get an S1 on solstice ships. We don't mind the walk. It's all relative. Once you're down on the main "traffic" floors of the ship you'll be walking from end to end all the time. Just a few more added calories to burn.

Reasons we like it: quieter - no one goes back there unless they "live" there. The view is awesome. Space in the room - just enough more to make it more relaxing. Access to Blu. Of course in a few months you'll have the new suite restaurant too.

Butlers and cabin attendants have access to inside stairwells and elevators. They do have to walk up and down but they don't use the main elevators. Often you'll see the doors open in the inside portion of the hallway and can see those stairs. In extreme emergency you'll be using those stairs too. :eek:

My 81yo mom only minded the walk at the end of the evening, probably because of the full day and the fact the theatre is at the fore, so you do have to make your way across the entire ship! Other than that, it's not a big deal, and we love being on the aft elevator/stairwell for quick access down or up to all dining!

You will love the S1 cabin, amenities and service!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It is not that long at the beginning of the cruise, but it gets longer and longer as the cruise goes along.

Some women say that it is longer when wearing high heels than when wearing flats.

For me it is longest of all when I forget something and need to go back to the cabin to get it. ;)

I don't think it is so much the actual distance as the long, boring hallway because when walking on the public decks where there are distractions to look at all along the way, it never seems as long to me as walking on the decks that only have cabins.

Thanks to kenevenpar for the great photo, so much better than trying to describe it in words.

Edited by fleckle

S1's are some of the nicest cabins on the ship - loved ours the one time we tried it!! I would not let the walk deter me unless I had a physical disability. I am in my 60's and have no issue with it. Is it annoying at times? Yes (such as if you forget an item and need to go back to the cabin). But overall definitely not a reason to by-pass the room unless you have a problem with walking in general.

I think the walk can seem a little long at the end of the night or after a long shore excursion, but it's not a deal breaker unless you have limited mobility. S1 is really a lovely cabin, on the aft with a good amount of space and the benefit of a quiet corridor (no loud passengers walking by late at night!) Benefits outweigh any drawbacks, at least in my opinion.

S1's are some of the nicest cabins on the ship - loved ours the one time we tried it!! I would not let the walk deter me unless I had a physical disability. I am in my 60's and have no issue with it. Is it annoying at times? Yes (such as if you forget an item and need to go back to the cabin).

Even forgetting something doesn't seem to bother DW. She simply sends me back:confused::D

We love the Soltice Class Sky Suites. Sitting on the aft balcony sipping my favorite beverage at sundown and watching/hearing the wake is how I'd probly like to leave this earth. So peaceful and stress relieving. Especially accompanied by some favorite tunes. The walk is probably 35-40 yards straight away by my estimate. And we like it to burn off some of the calories that we inevitably over consume! As some have said previously it's only a little difficult if you're disabled or a little tipsy. Fortunately the hall is so narrow you just bounce back and forth:D