asking for a cabin upgrade

michtrif

Has anyone ever asked for an upgrade? My TA told me it's not likely to happen, but I have read reviews here where people have asked and been upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony (probably diamond members, I assume) But I am C&A so I figure it's worth a shot...

So if I go about this, who do I call and when? Do I wait until we are onboard?

i email every but only had 1 lucky experience. It was the best of all. maybe that's why i haven't had an upgrade since. It was right after 911 and we were booked for a balcony with 5 people. So i emailed Richard Fain and explained that we had 5 people and while i couldn't afford to pay for an upgrade i would love to have one.

I kept checking rccl and saw there were rooms available. His reply was we usually get the rooms booked before the sailing. So the day we went to check in i asked if we had an upgrade.

Low and behold we had a royal family suite on the back of the boat. and we didn't have to pay any extra!!! HUGE balcony, 1 bedroom the size of ours at home with closet, drawers galore and a private bathtub bathroom. (i was kinda wondering how we were going to survive a week with 5 people in a balcony room.) In addition a separate room that had 2 twin beds and 2 fold down beds from the top. Then the separate actual living room area had a fold out couch. with another shower bath. This was on the explorer. We'll never forget that one.

I'm sure people were afraid to cruise right after so there were many empty rooms. By the way, it was a thanksgiving cruise.

We did get the royal treatment on that cruise!!!!

So i always say, if you don't ask you'll never know, the most that can be said is no.... and sometimes it just happens to be yes!

The cruising world for us has two terms we kinda like.

The one we really like is UPGRADE.

Having never seen this it would be awesome to get something for free.

The other is UPSELL.

We have taken advantage of this twice on the Allure to a Crown Loft.

Still cheaper than booking the suite originally.

Some day my prince will come (Upgrade) but till then, just waiting.

Sea Ya

I was going to pull out the excuse that we recently sailed on Explorer in October and were rerouted to Canada.... what can you do for us?

I just looked on *a certain site* and saw that there are a TON of open cabin on this sailing still. It's 27 days away.

How long should I wait to call. A FREE upgrade would be marvelous, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless I pull out the excuse above. What do you think?Worth a try, no?

Should I call c&a or concierge?

Edited by michtrif

I was going to pull out the excuse that we recently sailed on Explorer in October and were rerouted to Canada.... what can you do for us?

I just looked on *a certain site* and saw that there are a TON of open cabin on this sailing still. It's 27 days away.

How long should I wait to call. A FREE upgrade would be marvelous, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless I pull out the excuse above. What do you think?Worth a try, no?

Since you're already in a suite what are you looking to upgrade to?

Has anyone ever asked for an upgrade? My TA told me it's not likely to happen, but I have read reviews here where people have asked and been upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony (probably diamond members, I assume) But I am C&A so I figure it's worth a shot...

if, all you have to do is ask for a free upgrade, why would anyone ever book anything but the lowest price, inside cabin?

Your best bet, is to book a good cabin, in the first place and one you'll be happy with. :)

Our last cruise, on the Quantum TA, we were upgraded from an inside guarantee to a balcony. We didn't ask for an upgrade and I would have been happy with an inside cabin.

At least, you're on the ship.

The cruising world for us has two terms we kinda like.

The one we really like is UPGRADE.

Having never seen this it would be awesome to get something for free.

The other is UPSELL.

We have taken advantage of this twice on the Allure to a Crown Loft.

Still cheaper than booking the suite originally.

Sea Ya

Do you mind telling us how much that upsell was and from what category? We had a d1 on Allure twice, and it suited us fine. On a cabin crawl I looked at two Crown Loft Suite and loved them. Usually by the time the cruise comes around and I've paid it off I could spring more fora suite, but I've never seen a deal better than when I booked. I would probably depending on my finances at the time gladly pay several hundred more for that suite, but when I have called its always been well into 4 digits.

Edited by BillOh

Only suite guests typically have access to pre-cruise concierge, as far as I know. So forget the concierge. No harm in calling C&A and asking if they can do anything.

You can mention it, but I'm not sure the October re-routing will get you anywhere; ships are diverted with some frequency during hurricaine season. By contract, they do not have to do anything for an itinerary change, but sometimes they make a goodwill gesture, like some OBC. If they were going to do so, they likely did so on that diverted cruise. No harm in trying, but do not get your hopes up.

Your cruise is on this weeks sale (ends today). Those fare are really only for new bookings, but sometimes they make an exception. If you are willing to pay the difference between what you paid and the current fare of a better cabin, they might let you do so if resolutions dept approves. If you do not wish to pay, just realize the odds of a free upgrade are low, even for D+ members. As they have put the cruise on sale, they likely will sell those cabins you see online.

go ahead and call; it cannot hurt to ask. Still, if you do not wish to pay more, expect to stay in your current cabin and be very surprised if you get moved to anything better. Hoping too hard for a free upgrade may not be best for your mental health.

Do you mind telling us how much that upsell was and from what category? We had a d1 on Allure twice, and it suited us fine. On a cabin crawl I looked at two Crown Loft Suite and loved them. Usually by the time the cruise comes around and I've paid it off I could spring more fora suite, but I've never seen a deal better than when I booked. I would probably depending on my finances at the time gladly pay several hundred more for that suite, but when I have called its always been well into 4 digits.

In 2013 we were Platinum.

Had a GS on Allure

$700 upsell to L2

In 2014 we are Emerald

Had a GS on Allure

$600 Upsell to L1

After this sailing in August we will be Diamond.

It is ssssssoooooooooooo worth the two story suite.

Hoping for another this summer, and yes.......we will go for it.

Now mind you these upsells are thru C & A.

And we had the day to decide (only took seconds)

So are TA always knows the week before the cruise if she gets a call to notify us immediately so we can jump on the offer.

Sea Ya

I've taken 40 cruises on Royal Caribbean and have only been upgraded 1 time -- from an inside cabin to an ocean view. If you look at the rules about automatic upgrades it says that if you receive one you will only go up 1 category (inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, etc.).

I have however called and paid the difference in the price and have gone from an inside cabin to a balcony for $100 a couple of times but that is not too often. There has to be a higher price category you are moving to when they allow you to do this.

Good luck!

We are NOT in a suite... not even close- we booked on a guarantee and we have the most inside cabin you can get in the aft.

the only 'free' upgrade you have any chance at is to an oceanview. you want a verandah or better, fork over the money.

they are not going to upgrae a gty inside several categories.

In 2013 we were Platinum.

Had a GS on Allure

$700 upsell to L2

In 2014 we are Emerald

Had a GS on Allure

$600 Upsell to L1

After this sailing in August we will be Diamond.

It is ssssssoooooooooooo worth the two story suite.

Hoping for another this summer, and yes.......we will go for it.

Now mind you these upsells are thru C & A.

And we had the day to decide (only took seconds)

So are TA always knows the week before the cruise if she gets a call to notify us immediately so we can jump on the offer.

Sea Ya

Aren't those crown lofts wonderful? think how many D1's could have fit in the space of one CL; think how many people would love to sial in one; no wonder the upgrade costs are high.

Lionesss has paid $600-700 to upgrade from GS to CL. D1 to CL is a much bigger (and no doubt pricier) jump. Hundreds might well get one from D1 to JS, yet it will likely take four digits to get one from D1 to GS or higher.

I do not think they how like reducing to price of the CL's, as others have already agreed to pay a premium price. sometimes they assign them to suite gty W bookings rather than reducing the price. yet if one books a W, all one can expect is a JS. Anyway keep watching; maybe it will work out for you. I hope so.

Paid to upgrade to a GS as a surprise for my daughter, who has only sailed in interiors. We're doing a mother/daughter cruise on Brilliance to celebrate her college graduation. She ended up getting a job offer before graduation, so we had to cancel the family cruise we'd planned for that summer to celebrate. She's been at her job for a year and a half now, and ready for a vacation. :)

A month or so ago I was doing price checks and saw that the price for an Owner's Suite was less than the GS. Called and was moved to the OS for no additional charge, and they gave me $300 obc, too!

She thinks we're in an E2 and is excited to have a balcony. :D

I found the best way to get a cabin upgrade is to do the following:

1) Call TA or RC

2) Book a room you'd be happy in case you can't upgrade

3) Wait a few days and let the desire to have a bigger room marinate

4) Call TA or RC and see if an upgrade is available

5) Take out your credit card and read the number to TA or RC

6) Enjoy your new room and deal with the fact that the upgrade fairy doesn't exist the same way you did about Santa

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

the only 'free' upgrade you have any chance at is to an oceanview. you want a verandah or better, fork over the money.

they are not going to upgrae a gty inside several categories.

Post #10, I mentioned our free upgrade from an inside guarantee to a D2 Balcony. I'm sure it doesn't happen often but it does happen and I didn't fork over any more money. Several people were upgraded on that cruise from inside to balcony.

We booked cheapest inside cabins 4 months in advance of sailing. We are platinum C &A. About a month away from sailing we received an e-mail to upgrade for $80 to a window. I called and told them no I wanted a balcony - they told me that wasn't the offer. 1 week later received another e-mail with the same window offer - I called and again said I was only interested in a balcony (balconies were much higher priced at this time) they said no that wasn't the offer. I hung up and within minutes the RCCL reservationist called me back and said there was a balcony offer after all - $100 to upgrade from a cheap inside cabin to a balcony and I got to keep my $100 onboard credit..

So yes it may have helped to keep asking or it certainly doesn't hurt.

But yes it was an upsell not an upgrade but still a good deal.

We booked cheapest inside cabins 4 months in advance of sailing. We are platinum C &A. About a month away from sailing we received an e-mail to upgrade for $80 to a window. I called and told them no I wanted a balcony - they told me that wasn't the offer. 1 week later received another e-mail with the same window offer - I called and again said I was only interested in a balcony (balconies were much higher priced at this time) they said no that wasn't the offer. I hung up and within minutes the RCCL reservationist called me back and said there was a balcony offer after all - $100 to upgrade from a cheap inside cabin to a balcony and I got to keep my $100 onboard credit..

So yes it may have helped to keep asking or it certainly doesn't hurt.

But yes it was an upsell not an upgrade but still a good deal.

Very very nice,

Glad to hear success stories.

Sea Ya

You have me laughing so hard my stomach hurts !

Paid to upgrade to a GS as a surprise for my daughter, who has only sailed in interiors. We're doing a mother/daughter cruise on Brilliance to celebrate her college graduation. She ended up getting a job offer before graduation, so we had to cancel the family cruise we'd planned for that summer to celebrate. She's been at her job for a year and a half now, and ready for a vacation. :)

A month or so ago I was doing price checks and saw that the price for an Owner's Suite was less than the GS. Called and was moved to the OS for no additional charge, and they gave me $300 obc, too!

She thinks we're in an E2 and is excited to have a balcony. :D

Do you know that in an Owner's Suite, the bed does NOT separate into two singles?