world cruise...which ship

carsiebee

Contemplating a world cruise in 2016 but uncertain of which ship/cruiseline to choose...A smaller ship is appealing but concerned that perhaps lack of activities and longer sea days will lead to boredom. Also, departing from a US port is appealing. Some cruises are also segmented and generally, how often do the passgengers change. Any feedback from experienced world cruisers is appreciated.

I was on the 2014 Queen Victoria world cruise. That ship had around 2,000 passengers. Only about 1/3 or 700 were on for the entire voyage. It was done in 5 segments with many passengers leaving and new ones coming aboard at the end of a segment.

I felt this size ship was just right for me. Plenty of fellow passengers to spend time with but room to have some alone time. This was a 94 day round trip from Fort Lauderdale. As I live in FL, this was perfict for me.

I think the number one priority is the itinerary. My trip was exactly what I was looking for. We went around South America, across the Pacific to New Zealand & Australia. Then headed back to Hawaii, San Francisco, through the Panama Canal, then back to Ft Lauderdale. There were many stops along the way. I have been to the Mid East for work so I have no desire to go back. Many world cruises make stops there.

After you know where you want to go, look for a ship that has that itinerary or close to it. Size matters. Larger ships can not go through the Panacea Canal. Our ship just made it. In fact they had to remove some of our exterior lights so we could squeeze through.

We had plenty of activities. Guest lecturers who talked about areas we were about to visit. Sometimes I was glad they did this trip in segments as some activities were repeated each segment. If I missed it the first time, it would be held again.

I hope this gives you some things to think about. I booked mine almost a year before it sailed and this gave me time to dream, plan and save for this adventure.

Good luck

Don

Thanks, Don...great feedback....the Queen Mary II seems to be sailing a similiar intinerary. Just wonder if a suite is worth the extra$$$...or is a balcony going to suffice...many things to consider on this trip of a lifetime:)

Thanks, Don...great feedback....the Queen Mary II seems to be sailing a similiar intinerary. Just wonder if a suite is worth the extra$$$...or is a balcony going to suffice...many things to consider on this trip of a lifetime:)

In case you don't know, when you book a suite on a Cunard ship you will eat in a separate restaurant - either Princess Grill or Queens Grill - depending on the type of suite booked. The Grills have open seating restaurants - you are assigned a table but you can eat at any time during the opening hours. Queens Grills passengers also have a Butler, afternoon canapes and no extra charge liqour/soft drinks for their stateroom.

carsiebee, I am booked on Crystal Serenity for 2016. It is called a world cruise but acutally circles the Pacific. It leaves and returns to San Francisco. Take a look.

Max passengers on Serenity is 1090.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

I too would take a look at Crystal Cruises.

2016 will marke their 21st World Cruise and the on board entertainment and enrichment for the World Cruises on Crystal is extraordinary.

I would avoid smaller ships because it you can become bored with what is available.

The Crystal World Cruise will include special shore side events, on board dinners and many different parties and themed events and lots of daytime and evening activities.

Keith

Carsibee, I would also investigate Crystal if I had the funds. 25% singles supplement? On my one and only Cunard, I found it too sedate and food was white on white with white sauces. Granted I was not in Grill class and it was yrs. ago Boring, I guess was impression.. But I still remember..You may have even better pricing on Crystal. Ask Keith.

• 1 month later...
I am looking at a world cruise aiming for 2020. I am also looking at silver sea. Smaller ships but Everything included ( including excursions)

Think very closely if sailing on a ship that size for 100+ days will work for you.

I am not saying it won't but size of a ship for us for 100+ days versus say a 12 day cruise was a big consideration.

Keith