Wife a little apprehensive

Seamas Always

First of all I'm new here so please be gentle with me

As a Christmas present D.W. has booked a two week cruise in the Mediterranean in September We will be on the Azura. I have always wanted to do this BUT I thought it would be a pleasure that I would never have because D.W. is not too keen on sailing. Now It's not as chronic as it might be, we travel to UK several times a year by ferry a 3-4 hour crossing and she seems to be OK however she doesn't want to be seeing the water. She has booked an inside cabin so that should be OK.

Any hints or tip from the more seasoned among you?

Don't know if this will help her. But, I am "scared to death of water", won't set foot in swimming pool or ocean, lake, or any other body of water.

I am scheduled for cruise # 109 (yes, one hundred cruises over a 40-year period) in March 2015. Have cruised round trip to Hawaii from California, to Alaska, Panama Canal several times, in Europe three times. Do you get the point? I love cruising, prefer sea days to port days. Got all excited just thinking about it.

As another poster said, many times you won't even know you are moving or even on a ship rather than land. I usually have to check to see if we are moving at sailaway.

Your wife should be fine if she will let herself be. Don't dwell on this. Plan what a good time you are going to have.

Happy cruising.

Judy

You can pretty much spend an entire week on a cruise ship and NEVER "see" the water, if you don't want to.

A cruise ship is to a ferry like a Cadillac is to a skateboard! There is NO comparison, although they both are in water.

Edited by cb at sea

Hubby was a lot apprehensive when I dragged him onto our first cruise. Worried about boredom, seasickness, feeling trapped and crowded.

All for nothing. He loved it, and is the first in line to book his next cruise while still onboard. It's a sailing hotel/resort/dining experience. He's busy having fun, meeting new people, choosing his meals from the menu, and deciding what activities to do next. My problem is he keeps hauling me away from lying around reading trashy novels and sipping drinkies. Really not much of a problem, right?

D.W. is not too keen on sailing. Now It's not as chronic as it might be, we travel to UK several times a year by ferry a 3-4 hour crossing and she seems to be OK however she doesn't want to be seeing the water. She has booked an inside cabin so that should be OK.

She'll be fine. My husband is terrified of water, but he tries. The first time he went snorkelling with me, I was blissfully checking out the local fish through my mask. I looked up to check on my snorkelling buddy, and I swear he was doing his best Jesus Christ impression, walking on water, the bottoms of his feet barely skimming the surface of the water as he hurried back to shore after getting a bit of water in his mask. ;)

That said, he never was afraid while on the ship. He did, however, pay A LOT of attention at the Muster drill. A lot.

You're going on a lovely, vast ship, with so many things to do inside her that you can ignore what's happening outside. Eventually she'll be so used to talking to other passengers that she'll forget about those waves.... ;)

The inside cabins are very good...there's such a welcoming feeling when you enter, with a tea tray laid out next to the kettle, with tea, coffee and biscuits; there will be a flower in a vase, and a dish of little boiled sweets in bright wrappers. Take a photo as soon as you're in, because it will never look as tidy again! (oh, and there's a free bottle of water each in the fridge)

Quietly check your safety route on the back of the door, so that when the muster starts you can stride confidently to your muster station (when you return, you can point it out to your wife, as she must learn the route for herself....but not when she first arrives, perhaps?)

The first couple of hours will be a gentle sail down Southampton Water, by which time you'll want to be ready for dinner, so she'll probably not notice that you're out at sea.

Have a lovely time in one of my favourite ships! :)