Any Suggestions from past Quantum Cruisers?

rvcruz

We are leaving out of Bayonne/Cape Liberty on Quantum on 1/11/15 for a 12 day cruise. The four of us are experienced Diamond Crown and Anchor cruisers. But we have yet to face "Dynamic Dining" . I think we have covered all our bases by reserving dinners and shows. Any suggestions or lessons learned would be appreciated from past Quantum cruisers. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edited by rvcruz
typo

Since American Icon is the sit down lunch option each day, I recommend repeating it for dinner sparingly so the menu doesn't get old to you.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's the first thought that comes to mind.

Enjoy!

Since American Icon is the sit down lunch option each day, I recommend repeating it for dinner sparingly so the menu doesn't get old to you.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's the first thought that comes to mind.

Enjoy!

So the lunch menu is the same as the dinner menu??

So the lunch menu is the same as the dinner menu??

Essentially..., there are a couple of additional entrees offered at dinner.

On the 8 day, with two visits for lunch and two for dinner, we started to get a little bored with the selection and wouldn't have had dinner there more than once had we known it was the complimentary sit-down lunch venue.

Alternatively, you could easily avoid it at lunch if you think the menu will become stale for you-- Jamie's, Two70 Cafe, Devinly Decadence, the Seaplex Doghouse, Promenade Cafe, and WJ are among the other options.

I went in (12/1) as an open minded skeptic, and returned a convert to Dynamic Dining. In all sincerity, I enjoyed the variety, and did not experience any dropped reservations issues/waits. I had only booked 5 days of dining, desiring to leave some nights open. I was successful in using the Royal IQ app to reserve other nights on board, cancel existing reservations, and reschedule others. Silk is the only comp restaurant I visited twice. It was my favorite. If you do not carry an iDevice, visit one of the iPad stations around the ship to try and schedule dining if you need to make changes before you queue up at guest relations. If they're on, they were usable in my experience.

In addition to things others have listed, I'd also mention that Devinly Decadence is open for breakfast (complimentary), and is also open for breakfast on disembarkation day. If there were more than 10 people in the restaurant on disembarkation morning, I'd be surprised. Devinly Decadence is open for lunch, but there is a $10 fee. If you aren't seeking to avoid extra charge restaurants, consider Jamie's Italian for embarkation lunch ($15), and avoid Windjammer. Cafe270 is great for breakfast as well. Never went for lunch, but understand they had decent salads and sandwiches. It's complimentary.

Grear! Thanks for these helpful suggestions...We will try to remain open minded...I was getting worried so we made reservations for about half the trip (Chic, Jamies, American Icon, Izumi and some of these times two)...The rest we have left open for Windjammer (WJ) (which in the past has not been bad for a buffet dinner) altho I have heard that is not the traditional WJ. I believe that not having assistant waiters is a mistake...we are ust to long diiners on RC but three hours is stretching it a bit.

We are Diamond Cruise RC

Like from Grandeur to Freedom size ship folks.

Hoping Martique and St. Kitts are worth it.

Will be trying Carnival on spring break

To the Carib of course...

Disappointed in Martinique. French speaking, nothing at pier worthwhile. My suggestion is to take a ship's tour, unless you have Euro's and speak French. Vicki

Disappointed in Martinique. French speaking, nothing at pier worthwhile. My suggestion is to take a ship's tour, unless you have Euro's and speak French. Vicki
Well, given that Martinique is one of the 27 Regions of France, I'm not surprised that they use Euros and speak French.:rolleyes: I hope you would not be surprised to go to Hawaii and discover they use US Dollars and speak English.

Well, given that Martinique is one of the 27 Regions of France, I'm not surprised that they use Euros and speak French.:rolleyes: I hope you would not be surprised to go to Hawaii and discover they use US Dollars and speak English.

Well, i tried to be nice. Martinique was rude and not prepared for tourists. No one at tourist information spoke English in Martinique. Not much at port to buy. Those that took ferry said not worth it. Port area heavily chained off to get to outside sidewalks. There is a McDonalds in close proximity, but dirty, crowded and expensive. If w/c or scooter, not good accessibility.

Perhaps as more ships come they will improve. Just did not feel welcomed in area. Would highly suggest a ship excursion as perhaps they have found something of interest to do there. Imo, wasted port and I love culture, seeing the real ways, foods, etc. Hope it improves. Vicki

Edited by vickila

We did a ship's tour (snorkeling) in Martinique (12/1 QN cruise). It was fine. Water was nice, people on the tour were nice...and there was rum. ;) We did walk around town afterwards. Most shops were closed IIRC, so we didn't spend any money except right by the port. My wife can hold her own speaking French, so that might have helped at the one place we did stop outside the port. Finally bought a beer in the port area..and they did take USD. Overall, I took some pictures, thought the water was nice, enjoyed the tour, and I'm glad I got to go. Wouldn't be high on my list to hop back on an airplane and spend a long weekend there like St. Maarten, San Juan, St. Kitts, or Barbados are. I wouldn't avoid booking a cruise just because it stopped there either. Just my opinion.

Edited by MJonTravel

Thanks for info about Martinque..we might just wander around as we are budgeting our spending money. I think we are getting off at Labadee...St. Martin...St Kitts...Martinque and Barbados..I am San Juaned out and dont want to run the gauntlet of tour/taxi drivers and vendors that always seem to be there to harange us. We are scheduled for a tour to Orient Beach.

Well, i tried to be nice. Martinique was rude and not prepared for tourists. No one at tourist information spoke English in Martinique

Couldn't agree more with those statements. We were on the same cruise. And once we did find a taxi and a beach, items were very expensive once converted to dollars. This was our 2nd time there and just not thrilled.

***Christie***

Jamie's is exceptional but be prepared to get in line early for lunch.

Also, Martinique never ceases to amaze me. They treat visitors like they don't want them..so I support THEIR behaviour by not spending a penny!

We were in Martinique in 1994 .In my opinion at that time it was the most beautiful Caribbean island .The residents that we met were very friendly and we had a wonderful time .We will be there later this month and hope we will have the same opinion.

Thanks for info about Martinque..we might just wander around as we are budgeting our spending money. I think we are getting off at Labadee...St. Martin...St Kitts...Martinque and Barbados..I am San Juaned out and dont want to run the gauntlet of tour/taxi drivers and vendors that always seem to be there to harange us. We are scheduled for a tour to Orient Beach.

I agree the island is beautiful. However, my opinions are based on 30+ previous visits. I thought that knowing a little French would make a little difference, no such luck. In countries that I have visited that you make an effort to learn a little of their language, the people will help you learn more, not "tut" and roll their eyes at you. Unfortunately, this was my experience in Martinique.

I hope your second visit equals your first twenty years on!

We were on the December 1st sailing. I don't know if they have fixed the problems yet but the RCI app often indicated we did not have dinner reservations when we did. The first night it happened to us we discovered that the host at the desk of the restaurant could still see our reservation on the computer screen there even though the app indicated we had no reservation.

I finally just added all of our reservations to my phone calendar to keep from going back to our room to check times on the paper printout I had made before leaving home. I would still suggest printing out all your reservations, just in case an issue arises while at sea.

We clearly are in the minority but enjoyed a laid back day in Martinique. We did a self-guided walking tour of the food market, cathedral, library, etc and enjoyed some great drink and crepes at a little kiosk bordering the park. We saw a group of dancers in the main square and also some dancers at the port area. The port was very convenient to the ferries and to town (much better than where NCL was docked on the other side of the fort).

I am not sure I understand the logic of that behavior. We have been on some very poor islands and the people have been great...waving and smiling as we went by. I have not been to Paris/France but have heard there is a rudeness there also. It is a little part of France transplanted into paradise.

How abour St. Kitts? It is an English island. Nice beaches?

Getting back to my original idea for the thread..we have checked and are still in the system for our reservations for dinners.

Jamie's is exceptional but be prepared to get in line early for lunch.

Also, Martinique never ceases to amaze me. They treat visitors like they don't want them..so I support THEIR behaviour by not spending a penny!

We were on the Quantum TA and we found the menus for DD to be very boring. We could find one or two items, on a menu, to be good but we found it difficult to put together a complete meal. At least, I didn't gain any weight on the cruise. The lobster bisque was so salty I couldn't eat it. They need to ditch the iPads and bring back assistant waiters.

Our cruise was eight days and I was so happy to get off. Dining used to be one of the most enjoyable things about cruising. Not anymore.

We've been to Martinque twice. The first time we went, we really liked it and people seemed to enjoy having us on their island. The second time, a few years later, was totally different. The clerks were rude and acted like they didn't really want us there. JMHO.

Thanks to all again for suggestions...We have done the one week out preps..signed inonline...doc and passport check...the dreaded clothing check wash in prep for the case packing and watching the wearher for Bayonne. One week of work left and then off to our favorite place on the planet.

I am not sure I understand the logic of that behavior. We have been on some very poor islands and the people have been great...waving and smiling as we went by. I have not been to Paris/France but have heard there is a rudeness there also.

Well, I have been to Paris as well as other parts of France, and I disagree. Don't make the typical American mistake of thinking everyone on the planet speaks English. Ask someone in French whether she speaks English, and you should be treated very well. Learn a bit about the cultural differences before you go, such as saying "Bonjour" to the shop keeper whenever you enter a shop. Courtesies like that, which are not that common in the U.S., will go a long way in France.