Northern lights on Holland America ??

Does Holland have any cruises that you could see the Northern Lights ?? has any one don it this past year ?

our tour guide for Reykjavik this past year was monitoring the conditions for viewing the lights...he was willing to take us on any of the 3 nights we were in port... unfortunately the forecast was poor and he didn't hold much hope in viewing them.... he did mention one of the nights we would be in Greenland MIGHT have some visibility from the ship -

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

I spoke with a cousin who had done an Alaskan Princess cruise in September 2014. She said that the Northern Lights were visible when they were in Denali pre-cruise, but not on the ship. When Dad and I took a HAL land/sea trip in August/September 1999, we saw the Northern Lights in Denali, but not anywhere else.

I was once on a ship doing the last week of an Alaska season, ie in mid-September, when the Northern Lights were briefly seen at about 3 am one night. But not by me; I was fast asleep.

If you're really keen to see the Northern Lights, this isn't the way to do it.

Thanks for the info. It seems the best times are after our upcoming cruise. I can add another way not to see the lights. A friend of mine took a land tour to Norway last winter, specifically called a northern lights tour. It snowed the whole time and they saw nothing.

I've been told to go to Iceland in the fall for the best viewing. Maybe we'll get lucky at the end of VOV this August but I doubt it.

Maybe we'll get lucky at the end of VOV this August but I doubt it.

There's a real chance of seeing them on this cruise, but you need to stay up a bit. This cruise does go far enough north, and in August is nearing the equinox, so there will be darkness. After the second show, head outside for a while if it's a clear night. You may get lucky.

Another routing that offers the opportunity to see the northern lights is the west-bound trans-At on the northern route that one ship takes from such a port as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, or Copenhagen to NYC. That one is late enough, and far enough north, too.

I'll probably sound like Sarah Palin, but.... we can often see the Northern Lights from my house in southern BC at the right time of year and in the right weather conditions. You don't always have to be in Alaska.:) However, for the best sighting you need complete darkness around you, and being at sea is perfect.

There's a real chance of seeing them on this cruise, but you need to stay up a bit. This cruise does go far enough north, and in August is nearing the equinox, so there will be darkness. After the second show, head outside for a while if it's a clear night. You may get lucky.

Another routing that offers the opportunity to see the northern lights is the west-bound trans-At on the northern route that one ship takes from such a port as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, or Copenhagen to NYC. That one is late enough, and far enough north, too.

Thanks for the tip , We are doing Copenhagen to N.Y. this year .

For reference, we saw Northern Lights mid-October from Reykjavik and from northern Norway coast the week later. You need clear, dark sky and be relatively far north. Equinox times usually have high probability but of course weather can blot all that out.. m--