SJU, airport

Sunlovers_

Sunlover,

I'd get something later...as much as I personally HATE to do that. The SJU airport is an absolute zoo on Saturdays and Sundays. On top of that, toss in the fact that you may be delayed upon arrival, you have to go thru agricultural inspection BEFORE going thru security, and trying to leave before noon is a recipe for disaster.

Have we made it that early before? Sure. Would I count on it? No way.

I just booked a 10:00 am flight on southwest. Hoping for the best. I'm wondering what early flights people have made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needless to say that will be an exciting morning. Don't forget to have your luggage "agriculture inspection" completed before you get to the counter. It only takes 5 minutes - but it is easy to forget when you are in a hurry.

Let us know how it goes

I'm new to this port. Where do they do the agriculture inspection? Can you still do an early carry-your-own-luggage walk off from the SJU ships? We've done that in Florida but I wasn't sure if Jewel of the Seas in San Juan would let us do the same. We have an 12:40 flight but I still like all my ducks in a row way ahead of time.

The agricultural inspection is fine at the airport...follow the signs for it and go there first. You will get stickers to put on your luggage...and you then go to check your bags, then thru security to your gate.

I can't answer the express walkout, but I would guess they do.

You will be fine with a12:30 flight...

Edited by audome78

I'm new to this port. Where do they do the agriculture inspection? Can you still do an early carry-your-own-luggage walk off from the SJU ships? We've done that in Florida but I wasn't sure if Jewel of the Seas in San Juan would let us do the same. We have an 12:40 flight but I still like all my ducks in a row way ahead of time.

Yes, you can do self-assist disembarkation in San Juan.

We booked a 1pm flight on Jet Blue out of SJU.

We self disembarked the Jewel before 7am, and was at the airport by 7:40am. There were no lines at the agricultural checkpoint or at check in. We were sitting at the gate by 8am.

They wait listed us for the 9:45 flight, which we easily got onto stand-by, and we were home in New York by the time our original flight was taking off.

I wouldn't book a 9am flight, but maybe you can do the same as we did...book a later flight and then if you get to the airport quickly and without issues, fly stand by on the earlier flight.

I just booked a 10:00 am flight on southwest. Hoping for the best. I'm wondering what early flights people have made.

My sister had a flight at 9:30 I believe and we were at the airport in enough time for her to relax and eat breakfast. My flight was at 10:50.

9am flight out feasible?

No checked luggage.

I suppose it is possible if everything went smoothly but I would not schedule it that close. We got off the Adventure a couple weeks ago very quickly at about 8:15am (could have left earlier).

We could have probably made it to the airport by 9am (we were staying an extra day in San Juan). But then you need to have bags go through Agriculture check and then get through security so 9am seems a long shot and any delay along the way and there is no way to make it.

I would not do earlier than 11am and prefer flights after noon.

We've flown from SJU about six or seven times after our cruises, and there's no way I'd book a flight this early.:eek: I would spoil my entire cruise thinking about whether we'd make a 9 o'clock flight.

This airport can be a zoo at times depending on how many cruises are debarking that day. Nope.. I'd definitely go for something after 12 or 1:00 pm

`

We had a 10:40 (Sat.) flight. We did a very well organized express walk off at 8 AM and arrived at the airport at 8:30.

Yes, you can do self-assist disembarkation in San Juan.

When we sailed, (it was on Serenade) you weren't allowed to carry your bags off. Express departure bags had red tags. You put them out the night before, met at 8AM, and walked off. The red tagged bags were right at the bottom of the escalator for pick up. It worked very smoothly.

We were just off of Jewel in San Juan yesterday. Left our cabin at 8:20a.m. with bags in tow. Ship was excellent with disembarking. Customs was very quick. Cabs were quickly available. We cleared agriculture inspection in less than 5 minutes, at our gate at 9:20 for an 11:29 AA flight. If they would have had an earlier flight we could have made it. We were very surprised how efficient all those involved in getting us from ship to plane were.

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

• 2 months later...
Needless to say that will be an exciting morning. Don't forget to have your luggage "agriculture inspection" completed before you get to the counter. It only takes 5 minutes - but it is easy to forget when you are in a hurry.

Let us know how it goes

I forgot to come back and report on our experience. We had a lot of luggage, as we were traveling with a two year old; self assist was not an option. We were in group 5. Off the ship at 7:45. Grabbed a porter, got through customs, and in a cab by 8:15. Fifteen minute cab ride to the airport. Through all check ins and inspections in a half hour. Used the restroom, got some coffee, and arrived at the gate 15 minutes before boarding began at 9:30. Perfect!

While all might work out, my one and only experience at SJU was an agriculture line that wrapped around the airport at least twice. While it might not be the norm, it can happen, and caused serious delays for travelers that day.