Rude, Rude Rude passengers!!!

On the Royal in Oct a woman stated screaming at a man who sat down in the handicapped area in the theater. She was telling him he had no right to take the seat he was sitting in. He had a walker. It was awful. :(

"Apparently" she could not understand what her eyes were seeing!

I had that happen to me once, and I DO use a walking frame which was right in front of me! The arrogant male DEMANDED I move down the row so he and his wife could sit on the aisle. I refused as my ticket was numbered, and I chose the seat for maximum consideration of my disabilities. Staff had to remove him, he was so disruptive!

Crochetcruise :cool:

Regarding food in the theatre... I don't see the big deal at all.

I just returned from Las Vegas and saw 4 shows. All of them had drinks, popcorn, and candy (like movie theaters) for sale for the show. Most times I do not go see the shows on cruise ships because they can't beat a Las Vegas show.

I heard of my nieces going to a show on a cruise and they brought everything chocolate they could find from horizon court with them and had a good time. I wasn't on that cruise, but I was happy they had so much fun. Just picturing them makes me smile. :)

So let me get this straight Mark - cruiselover4ever&ever writes a post complimenting how the Cruise Director handled a very difficult passenger and you respond with the attack above?

Class act - I'll look for you in a track suit next formal night..............

I'm still chuckling on the track suit comment:)

Regarding food in the theatre... I don't see the big deal at all.

I just returned from Las Vegas and saw 4 shows. All of them had drinks, popcorn, and candy (like movie theaters) for sale for the show. Most times I do not go see the shows on cruise ships because they can't beat a Las Vegas show.

I heard of my nieces going to a show on a cruise and they brought everything chocolate they could find from horizon court with them and had a good time. I wasn't on that cruise, but I was happy they had so much fun. Just picturing them makes me smile. :)

They serve popcorn and cookies at Movies Under the Stars, the pizzeria is right there along with the grill serving hamburgers and hot dogs. I don't see what the big deal is either. Now, if they were talking on their cell phones.........:eek:

"What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down"

I am one of those "rude" passengers that sits on the end of a row. I have intestinal problems and sometimes need to leave quite quickly. I would much rather sit at the end and let people in to sit in the center, than sit in the center and have to leave suddenly.

I too am one of the "rude" passengers that sits on the end of a row that OP complains about.

Well, I'm 5'7", weigh 425 pounds. I can barely fit into the theater seat. Also, I am sight impaired and like to sit middle to front rows. I have prostate issues, and have to pee often. So out of consideration for my fellow passengers, I get to the performance early and find an end seat. I don't mind people passing in front me to get better center seats. I wish I could stand up to make it easier for them, but it's too difficult for me once I get settled in my seat. I don't make any fuss about people having to pass in front of me. I'm sorry, but sometimes because of having to pee a lot, I have to leave the theater during the performance. Not to be rude but necessary. If I have to leave the performance , when or if I return, I stand or sit at the rear.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

No, my point was the OP was complaining about rude passengers, and was being what I, and other people I'm sure, would consider being rude by making a passive aggressive comment to another passenger on their clothing.

I certainly try to give people having an argument some space, not hang around observing their discussion outside a venue after an event, but to each their own...

I don't know about that. Sometimes it's fun to watch just how stupid people can be. I call it entertainment. And sometimes a snarky comment is well-deserved. IMHO:D:eek::D

What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down, not big deal, but then give people dirty looks that asked to sit in the row, thus making the people on the end have to stand so they could get by.

I'll admit that when I sit in a theater or some other place with row seating, I always sit at the end. I, of course, make plenty of room for people to get past me to the inner seats.

I have a medical condition that may necessitate me getting up and to a restroom urgently so I sit on the end/aisle seats so I don't have to bother people by passing over them to get up.

No, my point was the OP was complaining about rude passengers, and was being what I, and other people I'm sure, would consider being rude by making a passive aggressive comment to another passenger on their clothing.

I certainly try to give people having an argument some space, not hang around observing their discussion outside a venue after an event, but to each their own...

I agree with you and I also believe it is nobody's business on what others wear....Princess cruisers are not exactly fashion forward.....more like fashion backwards......

That's a very nice write up you made regarding Richard Joseph and Fab. The "You Made a Difference" cards go a long way here, even for those at the CD level of staff. You could also tell Princess about it in the survey.

As far as rude folk, they come in every shape, size and gender. They are from every nationality, culture, religion or non-religion, income level and so on. It's really amazing.

I like to think they were raised by wolves ...

That might be an insult to wolves... ;)

Society is getting coarser and more people are cruising from all backgrounds. On top of that, ships are larger offering more opportunity for there to be rude losers. All of it is a factor. In all my cruises, i've seen the most rudeness toward the people at the front desk. But people are rude everywhere.

However, i don't have a problem with people not following the dress recomendations outside of the main dining room.

Dave

On a more positive note, my DH is in a wheelchair and enjoys the occasional cruise. We experienced the most wonderful group of passengers on our last TA this past April. Everyone, was so polite, helpful and willing to give my DH a wide berth to get around. Passengers wanting to pass him as he wheeled down the the aisles moved past us without complaint or even a dirty look. Often we were graciously allowed to enter an elevator first.

Perhaps there were some grumblers amongst us, but to us it was never obvious.

I think mean people suck.

"What else did I see – people sitting in the Theatre at the end of the row rather then moving down"

I am one of those "rude" passengers that sits on the end of a row. I have intestinal problems and sometimes need to leave quite quickly. I would much rather sit at the end and let people in to sit in the center, than sit in the center and have to leave suddenly.

Yeah, me too. I didn't know it was considered rude to stake out a prime spot in the theatre. Are we supposed to proceed to the middle and leave the primo seats for latecomers? Nope, don't think so. If people want an aisle seat then they better plan accordingly. This same poster also thinks it's rude to bolt while the CD is reiterating activities around the ship that are already listed I'm the Patter too:rolleyes:

I never have a problem getting up to let others get past me coming or going

AMEN! I don't mind letting people in, but I rather be in the isle seat. It a sort of phobia with me. I have sat in the middle and have even moved down if there was a empty seat to let a larger party stay together.

However, I don't see being in an isle seat as being rude. It is a preference and we know that seating in the theater is first come, first serve. Sometimes I don't get the isle seat, so we just look for one that my wife and i can set together without disturbing others too much.

If you want rude people, look to the chair hogs either around performances or the pool.

First off, I agree that Richard Joseph is the absolute best CD ever and I am certain that he could handle any situation with tact and grace.

When I go into the theater and find someone trying to save a huge number of seats, I just smile very nicely, before I sit down in one of their saved seats, and say, "Oh, didn't you hear the announcements? We are each only allowed to save just one seat in the theater." They always apologize and say that they were unaware of that rule. I then tell them that my husband and I would both be happy to save an extra seat for at least two of their friends. They never argue.

Actually people rarely argue with you when you are both charming and authoritative.

One behavior that really confuses me on a ship is when two people sit at a large table in the buffet and then say that they don't want any company. Go figure. :confused:

...One behavior that really confuses me on a ship is when two people sit at a large table in the buffet and then say that they don't want any company. Go figure. :confused:

There are very few two-top tables in the HC, at least on the Grand-class ships. We prefer not to make small talk with strangers while eating, so try to eat there at off-peak times so we aren't taking the last larger table available :).

Edited by Ryndam2002

I agree, due to health problems I always sit at the end of any row and purposely when buying theatre tickets choose end seats.

Edited by Aramis

There are very few two-top tables in the HC, at least on the Grand-class ships. We prefer not to make small talk with strangers while eating, so try to eat there at off-peak times so we aren't taking the last larger table available :).

i agree with you 100% ….

we also try to go during non-busy times and look for the smallest table available….. we like our time together and privacy while eating…

what confuses me ?... when the tables in horizon court are only half full, and someone comes up and wants to share the table ….to allow for the "whats your name and where you from" discussion.

My opinion is some people are rude, whether they realize they are doing it...only they can say.

We were on a cruise and it was 2nd seating in the main DR and we had a table for 2. There were large tables that all the people left and sat at first seating or changed to anytime and we and another table for 2 were the only ones the waiter and assistant had. We had excellent service as usual.

Anyways, halfway through the cruise I was in the elevator coming back from the pool and this lady cornered me and got in my face and wanted to know who we were that we were getting such wonderful service. I didn't know what to say. Her husband just said nothing.......

I would have simply said "Madam, do you not know who we are?" and walked away! ;)

Rude folk's are a fact of life some of them don't even realize they are rude. I chose to move on unless a person is in danger (woman or child). Luckily we don't see much of this on Princess (stay in quiet areas mainly). When we have seen crew abused and handled themselves well we have put it in writing on one of the cards they have. Because you don't know what can happen to this crew member if the only card put in says he yelled at a passenger when not true.

Also on a different note I always go early to a show to sit on an aisle seat near the door closest to the rest rooms. Sorry some folk's have a problem with this but they would have a bigger one if they are in this seat blocking my quick exit to the restroom. Due to the meds. I have to take foods don't always want to stay put and we go to the shows after diner.

what confuses me ?... when the tables in horizon court are only half full, and someone comes up and wants to share the table ….to allow for the "whats your name and where you from" discussion.

That would be us! :p

We are very social and one of the things we like best about cruising is meeting new people. We are very fortunate to have made many real-life friends on cruise ships over the years and now enjoy spending quality time with them both cruising and on land. We had friends whom we met on a cruise ship come down from Vancouver for New Year's Eve dinner and dancing and we have another cruise booked with them in the Spring. We have tentative plans for New Year's Eve next year with another wonderful couple we met years ago on a cruise ship. We have probably cruise half a dozen different times with each of these couples. Cruising is just a great way to make new friends.

I can't tell you how many times we have joined people who had told us they were "just leaving" and then stayed for an hour enjoying a delightful conversation over coffee.

Of course, if we ask someone if we can join them and they decline, we just smile, say thank you, and go find some other social folks like ourselves with whom to share our meal.

Edited by PunkiC

I would have simply said "Madam, do you not know who we are?" and walked away! ;)

I had a slightly different thought. I would have said: "Do you know who I am?" And when she said: "No", I would have turned to my wife and said: "See? I told you we could take a cruise and not be hounded by my fans."

OP I couldn't agree more with the rudeness level, which seems to be increasing as it is in society as a whole. I am one of those that sits on the end of rows instead of moving. For myself, 6 knee surgeries, replacements and a disaster hip replacement requires me to sit on an end to get that additional leg stretch area or to get up and move around should a cramp attack. On the other hand, I am not a grumpy gert when I have to stand and let folks by to seats. UNLESS, it's 10 minutes into the show and you decide to show up.

We were on a cruise a while ago .It was in the morning we were getting some breakfast at the buffet.When this guy walks up holding a plate with an omelette on it and just started berating the guy who had made the omeletee because the guy could see a mushroom sticking thru the egg:eek: And he wasnt being very nice about it.But the omelete maker just stood there and took it. theres no doubt in my mind that the omelette guy wanted to reach over and pop him one and Ill bet if they met out in public the complainer would not wont talk to the other guy like that:)