Does anyone know United's cancellation fees?

SnowshoeCat

I booked through Choice for the promise of help if my flights were delayed or cancelled.

The degree of "help" you get from CA can vary widely. Some have sung their praises, talking about how proactive they were. Others have said CA did nothing but say "gee, we can't help you, talk to the airline." Still others have reported not even being able to get through to a CA rep when something went wrong, particularly on a weekend (common timing, if one is flying in the day of the cruise.)

More importantly, please understand that if you book directly with the airline, they too will help you if your flight is delayed or canceled. For reasons I cannot fathom people seem to think that the airline will just abandon you. They won't. That said, will they get you on the very next flight? Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on seat availability, and where you are on the priority list of those needing to be re-accommodated. BUT.... that's going to be true if CA is helping you as well. As already stated, they (CA) have no special powers above and beyond what the airline can do, and you will potentially waste time talking to CA when you could already be talking to the airline.

Yes, that was the first thing I asked her (after "are you sure?"). There is an expiration, and I've got plenty of time to decide. I was surprised, too, because when I go to the airline's website, my reservation is there, I can select seats, and do all that fun stuff.

Just curious. When is your tentative cruise? What is the expiration date that you were given.

Just curious. When is your tentative cruise? What is the expiration date that you were given.

The cruise was in May. They said I had until 3 (or maybe 4) days prior to departure. I called three times, just to make sure. Last night I finally cancelled everything. So I can leave on my cruise tomorrow with a reasonably clear head :)

The cruise was in May. They said I had until 3 (or maybe 4) days prior to departure. I called three times, just to make sure. Last night I finally cancelled everything. So I can leave on my cruise tomorrow with a reasonably clear head :)

Only 4 months away. good for you. Enjoy your cruise.

First, I have not carefully read through the previous post and am only replying as to my experience with Cruise Air and United last week. I can't say that I won't ever use either again, but if I do, it will have to be an emergency. I had air for a cruise in May and found out about 2 weeks ago that I wouldn't be able to go on that trip, not because of anything personal with myself, but the couple I was traveling with. If it had been me or immediate family member, my insurance would have covered my expenses. I was still outside the penalty time for my cruise, so the money I had paid towards my cruise was safe, but it appears that most of the on-board credit perks are gone. We found another cruise and started booking. Got the cruise booked and then started working on changing the flight. I couldn't get anywhere with Cruise Air, actually talked, or tried to talk with several difference representative over about 3 days. At one point had a conference call with my TA and CA. On some of the calls, as soon as I was able to explain why I was calling, the call changed to them telling me I was breaking up, they couldn't understand me, Miss....we can't hear you....After going through that on two calls, I finally got someone and went through the process again. The math was "fuzzy", I kept telling him the amount he was telling me didn't add up. After a while I gave up and called United direct. More hassles, but I finally gave up and paid the amount she said I owed to rebook. First, for me, nonrefundable flight, I had a $200 penalty and my ticket had to be used within a year of purchasing, and for me that is 7/20/2015. I had found a round trip flight that was a lot less, enough to absorb the $200 penalty. BUT, OH, NO....The penalty is on TOP of what I had already paid, so the difference is gone. Now, I said the math didn't add up, since she had told me that I owed $250 more. When I received my reservation via email, I see that United charges a $50. rebooking fee on top of the penalty. I got an email from Southwest yesterday and for the same trip, I could have flown round trip, non-stop for less than $250. The on-line TA that made the air arrangements for the couple I'm traveling with was able to get all this waived and they didn't have to pay any difference.

Only 4 months away. good for you. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. Just to clarify, the airfare is being refunded minus $175, and the airport transfer is being refunded 100%. It was a European cruise with trans-Atlantic airfare, so the penalty was less than 10% of the overall trip. So I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Now, off to the port!

First, for me, nonrefundable flight, I had a $200 penalty and my ticket had to be used within a year of purchasing, and for me that is 7/20/2015. I had found a round trip flight that was a lot less, enough to absorb the $200 penalty. BUT, OH, NO....The penalty is on TOP of what I had already paid, so the difference is gone. Now, I said the math didn't add up, since she had told me that I owed $250 more. When I received my reservation via email, I see that United charges a $50. rebooking fee on top of the penalty. I got an email from Southwest yesterday and for the same trip, I could have flown round trip, non-stop for less than $250. The on-line TA that made the air arrangements for the couple I'm traveling with was able to get all this waived and they didn't have to pay any difference.

Please hit the return key once in a while to make paragraphs; it makes reading a post much easier.

Yes, to change a UA ticket, you must pay the fee, it's not deducted from your credit. This is the same policy as most airlines. So, the $250 more you owed is the $200 change fee (or rebooking fee). Making a reservation change by phone is a $25 fee. I have no idea what the additional $25 fee was for. Did you ask? If you look at your itinerary and click on "view e-receipt" it should detail all charges.

What price any other airline charges is not relevant to your discussion.