First cruise and going to Alaska

Mooree

Hello to all you! Hubbie and I are planning our first cruise in 2016 and are planning on flying from Boston to a port to cruise in Alaska. The information is overwhelming so we are looking for some tips. We are very experienced travelers and know we have to pack layers, pick the right time of year and the right cruise by port to maximize what we want to see but we still have questions and are looking for opinions. So here goes:

1) "best" Alaska cruise for baby boomers who are active, hate large crowds, don't typically do group tours, very friendly but want to avoid crowds and being shuffled around. On a budget, not luxury travelers

2) is it difficult once at each port along the way to get off and get to things by yourself? For example, if we want to see some glaciers, or see some native American craft centers, MUST we book a cruise tour or can you find independent tours that will get you back to the cruise ship before it leaves?

3) totally ignorant about ship charges- are meals always included? Are they like all inclusive resorts on land where you pay for upcharge restaurants but not the regular ones? Is liquor included or do you pay for each drink? Do you pay extra to use the gym, go to the movies, attend a performance, take a dance lesson etc? I've heard that you end up getting a whopping bill when you leave that includes all kinds of things you thought were included already

4) how is tipping done and to whom and when?

That's it for the moment but I'm sure I will be back, thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

1. Princess and HAL are the two main lines in Alaska. Each has 6 or so ships each year. We have been twice on Princess and loved both. Ports in Alaska are not huge cities, so there will be crowds in the popular places.

2. Yes, you can go on your own and make independent plans. All the cruise lines will sell tours, but none are cheap. We usually find cheaper alternatives on our own. Often we take tours set up by fellow cruisers and listed on the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your cruise. There people will line up a private tour and need people to fill the van or other vehicle and split the cost. Generally, they are much better than the ship tours and cheaper. Often there are a dozen or so people.

3. Yes, meals are included. Most (all?) lines now have specialty restaurants that are extra. We have nearly 600 nights on cruise ships and twice we at at one. Nice, but happy without it. Coffee, tea, water, juice with breakfast and milk with meals are usually included. Alcohol, sodas, etc are extra. Most lines now offer some kind of all you can drink card.

Most lines charge and automatic gratuity to your on board account each day. Most are $10 to 12 per day and cover the cabin steward, wait staff and people who help them (laundry, cooks, dish washers, etc). Depending on the service, we usually give extra last day.

I am sure I missed some of your questions or you will have more, so just post away

The ship isn't really the important thing on Alaskan cruises....of course, you'll want one within your budget, but the amenities aren't as important as on a Caribbean cruise. You'll be in Alaska for the sights...not the ship!

Once you pick your cruise line, read the brochure...all sorts of info is in there, that will really help you "learn the ropes"....tipping, dress, things with extra charges, etc....are all spelled out!

I agree.... the choice can be overwhelming. "Budget" means different things to different people.

• Do you want a 7 day return samplier?
  • Do you want go one way to/from Anchorage?
  • Do you want to go halfway to Skagway, then do a HAL tour to Anchorage and return on one way trip to Vancouver/Seattle?
  • if you get a verandah/balcony... will you use it a lot? Will it be too windy and a cheaper Oceanview be sufficient? For some an inside cabin has a TV to see what's outside and they just go up to restaurant/top deck (can be crowded) to see the glacier when they want to.
  • Do you want to stay at a premium hotel adjacent to your departure port for convenience? Will a nearby hotel/motel with a $35 cab fare be OK to save hundreds for sightseeing or extra nights in the departure city?

Ship itineries include a glacier viewing from the big boat. The question whether you want a closer experience (fly? walk on? climb? small boat?). In addition to glaciers... what about whale watching? Alaska has grey whales.... Vancouver/Seattle offer Orca whales.

• Buffet and main dining is part of the cruise price (free). Specialty restaurants has an additional charge.
  • Bevvies charges vary with the cruise line (optional bevvy cards). Some cruise lines allow you to pack your own bevvies for free in your carry-on.... other's charge you for what you bring on.
  • Movies? Different cruise lines have different selections. DCL has some great first-run movies and your cabins have movie channels!
  • Performances are free.

You can go to guest services to check on your charges halfway through the cruise to avoid the bill shock. Photos and excursions are my weakness. HAL/DCL offers photo packages for a few hundred dollars. Does Princess? $10 - $25 pictures can add up!

Don't forget about your departure and arrival port.... budget some extra time to check out these bonus port(s) too. You have to be there and you might as well enjoy the sights around there too!

Edited by xlxo

I know you are planning to cruise in 2016 but do some dummy checking for airline prices for 2015 for doing round trip from Boston to Seattle and Vancouver. This could make a difference on which port you sail from.

Also plan on flying in a day early -- you don't want to miss the ship because of flight problems.

I always suggest that first time cruisers to Alaska include Glacier Bay -- and not all cruise lines have permits to go into Glacier National Park. You can't get off the ship but there is a lot of beautiful scenery as you approach the glacier. And there will be a Park Ranger on board describing every thing.

There are lots of vendors in the ports. In Juneau you can take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhal Glacier -- usually runs around $9 per person each way. And you can stay as long as you want. Just be certain to buy some food in town if you plan to spend some time there walking the trails. No food can be taken off the ship and there is no food available at the Center -- there is a fee to get in there.

In Juneau you can also choose a whale watching tour -- expensive but well worth it. We have used Orca Enterprises.

I would like to confirm what a poster said above: A balcony cabin might not be worth it, if there is any budget involved. The view from a balcony is tiny compared to what you see from the open decks. An inside or oceanview cabin is just fine.

Wow, my first post on Cruise Critics and what a great response!!!:) Thanks so much to all of you. I am taking notes and will be back for sure. Alaska, here we come!!

If you haven't already discovered it, there is a forum here on CC just for Alaska. You can get a wealth of information there about private tours and what to see in each port.

I know you are planning to cruise in 2016 but do some dummy checking for airline prices for 2015 for doing round trip from Boston to Seattle and Vancouver. This could make a difference on which port you sail from.

Also plan on flying in a day early -- you don't want to miss the ship because of flight problems.

Some thoughts....

While cruise prices will be lower and cabin choices are bigger waiting for 2016. Have you considered a trip this year?

• low oil prices means there is no fuel surcharge for airlines and cruises in 2015.
  • If Vancouver (Canada) is one of your ports... Canada is on sale with a "near" currency collapse. Look at this 5 year chart!
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CADUSD=X&t=5y

With regards to Seattle...

• If you are planning at 14 plus day round trip to Anchorage.... Perhaps start your trip in Seattle, spend a few days in Anchorage and then return to Vancouver? Yes.... we are pushing your "budget". But it means doubling your Alaskan port time, you may get to see different ports for the return trip, and you get to see more of the state.
  • While airfare to Vancouver costs more... do compare the extra transportation costs and time to Seattle's airport.
    Shuttle bus is $50/person for cruise terminal to Seatac airport
    Train is a little cheaper, but it's a late afternoon departure which adds to your time getting home. You also need to factor in taxi charges between cruise terminal, train station and taxi to Seatac airport. BTW... some also Orca whale watch their way Seattle's airport.

Krazy is correct. Cruise and air pricing patterns remain pretty much the same year to year.Like early Dec to Caribbean lowest passenger loads so lowest pricing. Alaska will be comparable 2015 to 2016. So look at the big discount cruise agencies and Cruise lines direct. Late booking probably yields lowest pricing.